Unlimited access >

Confederate Symbology in Contemporary American Foxhunting

According to the MFHS roster there are 10 hunts with “confederate” in the description of their hunt colors. Mostly “confederate grey”,but at least one “confederate blue” and “confederate cavalry yellow”. 6 in VA, 2 in GA, 1 in MD, 1 in FL.

Yes, the confederacy ended 150 years ago. But all but 2 of these hunt (1899 and 1910) were founded, and defined their colors, in the second half of the 20th century. It IS intentional confederate symbology,at least by the hunt founders, even if not endorsed by current members.

22 Likes

What is the name of the color when it is woven at the mill? It might be something like “Medium Pearl Grey no. 4”.

Thank you Janet - this is what I was trying to ascertain.

9 Likes

OR it could have been as simple as that the grey colour of preference had that name. That happened more than 100 years ago so I’m curious why it’s being dredged up now. Grey is a neutral colour and goes with everything probably looking good beside Hunting Pink.

7 Likes

If the name doesn’t have any significance it will be easy to change.

11 Likes

Imagine how much worse all that would have been, and how much harder it might have been to recover, if your family was black. You/they might not have even survived those hardships in that case.

Imagine how much worse all that would have been, and how much harder it might have been to recover, if your family was black. You/they might not have even survived those hardships in that case.

11 Likes

Way to discount someone’s personal experience.

Most black people are not looking for reasons to claim they are victims. If they are well off enough to have grown up riding, or have ridden enough recently that they are proficient enough and well off enough to hunt, I doubt that seeing Confederate gray color is going to make them freak out.
Enjoy the hunt, welcome everyone, and don’t try to make every single thing political. If you think about it, hunting was an elitist sport that excluded minorities going back in history. So if you are really wanting to be PC, stop hunting. If it bothers YOU, then find another hunt, or take up something solo like knitting. Because there will always be something to complain about.

13 Likes

My point exactly. There being no significance then why bother (shrugs shoulders)?

2 Likes

Only two were 100 years ago. The rest were after 1950 and two were after 2000.

They CHOOSE to call it “condederate grey” (rather than just “grey”). It isn’t a color name in general use. So it DID/DOES have significance to the people who chose to use THAT name.

17 Likes

Please don’t yell at me, I’m not deaf. I think it’s a stupid waste of time to let something like a colour choice of cloth to assume importance in my life. Those that fought for the South were American citizens too. There are many more problems in the US to be concerned about so I wonder why anyone wastes time on the colour of cloth. Find a life in this century. Maybe there are courses being offered?

5 Likes

They seceded from the Union to form a different country. General Lee resigned from the Union Army to fight against men he was sworn to protect. The entire purpose was to maintain the ability to enslave other human beings.

I can’t believe this needs to be said.

27 Likes

This being a thread about an adjective describing the colour of cloth is not the place to debate the merits of the Civil War. Peace was declared in the eighteen hundreds so let it die a death and not keep fighting it. Look around at the current problems facing the US and spend time and energy solving them. Now there’s a challenge worthy of attention.

4 Likes

Did citizens of the defeated South not retain their American citizenship at war’s end? I can’t believe persons are still fighting a long ago war. And as for the colour of cloth, what a waste of time.

5 Likes

It is worthy because the use of that term “Confederate Grey” will cause an entire demographic of people to feel that they are unwanted in the hunt group. This can descend into lawsuits if taken that far down the road. I would think that use of the name could be considered at least partial evidence of discrimination in that case.

It’s not nothing.

And no, although the south was militarily defeated, and rightly so, I grew up hearing “The South Will Rise AGAIN!!!” As a child I didn’t understand all the implications of that phrase, but as an adult, I do.

Rubles, you might want to read a new book that’s out.

https://smile.amazon.com/White-Too-L…6554224&sr=8-2

And here is an NPR interview with the author. It’s a good listen.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/30/89671…cy-author-says

14 Likes

To some extent, I would argue that this conversation is one of those problems to be concerned about. Words matter and words that make reference to a movement that was created for the sole purpose of continuing the ownership of human beings are part of the reason why we are having national conversations right now.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot recently…trying to decide if “confederate grey” would keep me from joining a hunt…wondering if I would paint my house that color if it was a shade of grey that I liked in the store. And…I probably would do both. Because I am lucky enough to have the (ahem, white) privilege to be able to ignore the symbolism surrounding the word–and the deliberate reference to a color worn by the army whose purpose was to defend slavery. It’s easy for me to say “it’s only a color” or “it was 200 hundred years ago” because my family was not affected by that war or why it was fought–we weren’t even here yet.

There are many, many people who are not lucky enough to say that and many more who are still feeling the fallout of slavery every single day of their lives. It can’t be dismissed as history when it is still affecting present day.

11 Likes

If you want to nitpick, hunting was a sport for elites, and slaves were often hunted down on horseback. So stay true to your values and just give up riding because its has such a racist history.
Good Lord people, do you stay up at night searching for things to offend you?
Irish people were taken as slaves. Time to sell that irish sporthorse. England fought our country…time to boycott English leather, saddlry. Germany killed many jews and fought against us. Time to get rid of german leather products, and german warmbloods.
Our TB’s descended from Arabians that came from a culture that kills gays. Time to get rid of TB’s due to their bigoted history.

10 Likes

The OP asked an intelligent question. Your simplistic, reactionary attempt to answer a thoughtful question is not helpful to anyone that is actually considering the issue.

In other words; other people’s intelligent contemplation of what may be acceptable or unacceptable to their own conscience, should not be dismissed by you, or anyone else, in such a simplistic and obnoxious manner.

At least give the OP the intelligent response that they deserve. It does require thought.

16 Likes

I guess it is a matter of opinion how seriously you want to take someone’s virtue signaling.
Honestly it seems like a very silly thing to hang your hat on, with so many real problems going on in the world.
By all means though let us know how woke and offended you are by the word Confederate.
Jetsmom is right , horse sports are elitist, and they have ( and still do) a long history of exploiting poor people and slaves for cheap or free labor.
So why are you still riding, much less hunting?

All over the world things were built by slave labor, do you avert your eyes every time you see a picture of the Pyramids?

7 Likes