Unlimited access >

Conformation Critique---new pic from a year and a half later--new video last post

I would like some honest opinions about my 16.1hh 11 year old off track Standardbred. He has been retired since the age of 7.5, used as a trail horse until I got him in March of 2013. I’m looking at a dressage/eventing career for him. I’ve posted pics of him before, but never for a conformation assessment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f…type=1&theater

1 Like

I like him. He’s got the fantastic bone most standardbreds have and seems nicely put together. Plus his face just looks so honest. The only thing with standardbreds is you can’t tell by looking how the canter is. But if you’ve had him for a while, you already know how he is in that department.

2 Likes

He won’t win a strip class for sure but nothing jumps out as performance limiting or career shortening. I like him better then a lot of fancy ones with structural weakness that get posted on here.

How is his canter? That can limit if it’s non existent but many of them just dont know how and will school into it. Not quite as nice as the TBs born to gallop but well enough.

As for his canter, here is a short clip…

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154132426395648&set=vb.833745647&type=3&theater

1 Like

[QUOTE=myguyom;7899887]
As for his canter, here is a short clip…

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154132426395648&set=vb.833745647&type=3&theater[/QUOTE]

Aw, I love his little canter! And his face “this is weird, this is weird, this is weird, this is weird…”

2 Likes

[QUOTE=myguyom;7899801]
I would like some honest opinions about my 16.1hh 11 year old off track Standardbred. He has been retired since the age of 7.5, used as a trail horse until I got him in March of 2013. I’m looking at a dressage/eventing career for him. I’ve posted pics of him before, but never for a conformation assessment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154830705600648&set=a.10151347380455648.821564.833745647&type=1&theater[/QUOTE]

I remember this guy… didn’t you post a few videos of him lunging? I remembered really liking him – he was a fantastic mover. How has his canter developed?

I think you will get many more fair assessments of his conformation if you don’t mention his breed – sadly, I think some would see the breed and instantly look for flaws.

I think he is lovely, my favorite part about him is his tushus – I bet he has some great power behind. I see some great bone that standardbreds are famous for – a nice, sloping shoulder with a good heart girth and a strong loin connection. I also love his expression.

EDIT: oops! I just saw you added a canter video!

3 Likes

I think his canter looks great! Better than many OTTBS I’ve seen. If I remember, you were doing pole work with him right? Indulge us on what you’ve been working on?!

1 Like

That’s a nice canter! Moving up well under himself, not dumped in front, making like a giraffe or rooting, accepting the contact. Nice, like to see him in 6 months.

BTW I’d evaluate a TB or WB exactly the same. Plain, common headed, nothing fancy but nothing wrong either. When you add the movement at the canter, I see much closer to fancy in that movement and I would much rather see it here then standing still fancy and moving like a sewing machine.

Thanks. His left lead canter isn’t quite so balanced yet, but as he came to me refusing to canter on the left lead at all, I am pleased with his progress. His balance has improved immensely over the last few months and he no longer pulls against and hangs on the bit. As for not mentioning his breed when I ask for conformation comments, then that’s not really getting a true evaluation, now is it? I know he is a bit plain, and somewhat hammer-headed, all standies are, my bigger concern is his croup and stifles…a bit steep on the croup, and maybe a tad short in the stifle…Considering he retired sound after racing 116 races, and his legs are relatively clean, that must say something good of his conformation.

3 Likes

I love his face! His canter is cute too and he uses himself well. Good job!

Conformation and breed do not matter, so ling as he can do his job.

He also appears to have a good disposition.

True that. I have a friend who qualified her QH to the American Eventing Championships in BN in their first season out. He is not a fancy mover, but a 100% reliable jumper and well conditioned so he does great. Your guy looks fab in the video. Go for it!

Just thought I would post a new photo taken three days ago. what do you all think of the changes? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157314852310648&set=a.10154409865985648.1073741836.833745647&type=3&theater

7 Likes

Wow, he was cute before but he’s quite a hunk now. Love how he’s muscled up.

Look at those dapples!

1 Like

Standardbreds are awesome - sound, sane and strong. Breeding, if you don’t mind? Did he race on the trot or pace?

Not plain at all! He has a beautiful color and coat and a hunky body! I love his head. I must prefer a stronger head to a chiseled head. (OK, btw, I’m a former standardbred groom & licensed trainer.)

“retired sound after racing 116 races”

How kewl is that!!

You are doing a superb job! His top-line certainly developed. Do you have any win photos of him you can post? :yes:

2 Likes

Hi Beaujolais, he is by Master Lavec out of Dotty Score, and was a trotter. Not overly successful on the track, earning just over $68,000 in 116 races. He is a real sweet minded guy, wanting to please. He is starting to really understand what jumping small courses of jumps is all about.

2 Likes

He’s really cute. I love the bloom on his coat!

Wow, he’s stunning!

You could tell me there was a Cleveland Bay involved and I would believe you.

He’s lovely!

2 Likes