Unlimited access >

Conformation Critique---new pic from a year and a half later--new video last post

Super cute, I love retraining the Standardbreds! You have done a great job with him!! They have such heart and even when they don’t exactly understand what you want they try their best. One of ours (a pacer) takes his kid around 2’9" jumpers ( he’s jumped up to 3’6") and when she comes out people always ask what he is because he will occasionally hit the pace around the course, and he doesn’t have a neck freezebrand. He has a lip tattoo, because his freezebrand wouldn’t take. So everyone is always so confused! lol

I would love to see more video’s or pics of your guy. What is his name?

1 Like

I don’t really have anything to add other than I think he’s adorable! :slight_smile:

Ps. you’re totally in my neck of the woods, if you end up going to audit the GM clinic next month let me know, I’m going as well and will say hi! :winkgrin:

Hi April, our barn is totally working on getting a group together to go audit GM. That would be very cool to say hi!

Lovely! STBs are so, so often underrated as sport horses. You have done a lovely job with yours - he is in phenomenal condition!

We have a trail riding operation in my area that uses almost exclusively retired STBs; many are in their late 20s and still sound and strong for the trails. There are a few younger horses there that I have to stop myself making an offer on every time I stop by. Gorgeous horses, and can’t beat their attitude.

so glad you indulged us with an update! Keep up the excellent work; he looks fantastic!

Very true, kashmere, at least in North America. I have seen blogs and FB groups about Standardbreds in sport in the UK and Australia…with the way the harness racing industry has taken a downswing here in Canada, Standardbreds really need to be promoted as more than just “cart horses” My boy is willing, sound, and has such a fantastic personality, and to think he was probably destined for a kill pen if I had not taken him. Sad to say, but that is unfortunately the final destination of a lot of off track standies. :frowning:

I’m in Nova Scotia, so we have an absolute ton of them from the tracks here and in PEI. It’s a sin to see what happens to so many of them. Much the same as TBs, of course, but STBs just don’t have the same appeal to many people. It’s such a shame. I absolutely love my OTTB, but the fact is that OTSTBs would be a much more suitable project for many ammies. Many of the ones I’ve known have had killer jumps, and they’re just so kind.

Very happy to see your boy living the good life :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=beaujolais;8831194]
Do you have any win photos of him you can post? :yes:[/QUOTE] https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154861665280648&set=a.10150683313720648.702093.833745647&type=3&theater

Sorry it is poor quality, it is a photo of a photo.

Oh, how nice!! Thank you for posting that. He is gorgeous! You have a great and interesting horse! I especially love trotters (more than pacers). (Pacers are wonderful, too, though, of course.) They often have the races from Western Fair on television and it looks like such a nice place. Your country is fantastic, btw. When I was younger we used to takes trips up there, Kingston Park Raceway area, to scout out/buy harness horses.

I wonder if you would be interested in this book, Modern Trotting Sire Lines. It is one of my favorites.

http://www.horseinfo.com/cart/bradley.htmlu

Oh, how nice!! Thank you for posting that. He is gorgeous! You have a great and interesting horse! I especially love trotters (more than pacers) (pacers are great, too,though). I always watch the races from Western Fair on television and it looks like such a nice place. I love your country too. When I was younger we used to takes trips up there (Kingston Park area) to scout out/buy harness horses.

I wonder if you would be interested in this book, Modern Trotting Sire Lines. It is one of my favorites.

http://www.horseinfo.com/cart/bradley.html

Thanks! I’ll have a look at that! My last horse was a pacer, and I was just so impressed with the breed, I sought out another one.

It’s been a while since I have posted an update on my ex trotter. We have been working over small fences, with emphasis on controlling his speed in between fences. We’ve also been working on strength and balance at the canter. Well, things are finally coming together, and we managed to get a very smooth and fluid lead change, it was so smooth I had to watch the video twice to catch it. Needless to say, I am super chuffed! From an off track trotter to a quasi, “I think I can be a hunter!” His willingness and his eagerness to please amaze me every day! https://www.facebook.com/lori.lavoie.35/videos/10158121875015648/

6 Likes

He is adorable! Knees up and happy!

So cute. :slight_smile: Good job.

I love your horse and want one just like him - his head and face just break my heart. Who cares about the confo details - he is sound and healthy, and built more than well enough to do the job to some level. Enjoy him for the next 25 years!

1 Like

Love him! Congrats!! You’ve done a wonderful job with him and he’s just adorable. You should be really proud :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this horse! Thanks for the updates about him - it’s fun to see his progress. From the first posts, I thought “wow, I’d love to play with him in dressage!” It’s great you are loving him for your purpose, and he’s the type of athlete who can do whatever - but as a dressage person, I think he’d be great for that, too. The way he uses his hind legs he’d probably have a surprising amount of talent (to you, assuming you haven’t thought about it yet!) You may even want to do some to help with that shoulder dropping issue. :wink:

2 Likes

Absolutely, some serious flatwork is going to lose the motorcycle turn. He’s ready, he’s got the foundation. Time to push him to be better. Some HJ trainers have a solid dressage background however you might try some lessons on a schoolmaster so you can learn the feel to develop it in your horse. Might benefit you both to take advantage of sort of flatwork boot camp, You get some lessons and horse gets some Pro, flatwork only rides.

1 Like

@netg , there is a dressage rider currently on winter board at our barn, and her trainer has commented several times on how she loves his big trot. I haven’t ruled out dressage in his future, as I just want to have fun with him and be able to try our hands at a bit of everything. @findeight , I’ve managed to find myself an incredible part boarder who has helped his progress tremendously, I freely admit that she is 10 times the rider I am, and by watching her ride and watching videos of them working, I have learned a lot. He doesn’t scoot and burn around corners all the time, just when he gets a little stressed or flustered at what is being asked of him. At least now I am able to bring him back down to a walk, let him relax for a few minutes, and then proceed. Four months ago, if he got frazzled in a lesson or during a ride, that was it, we had to call it a day. I would say 4 out of five rides are on the flat, and the fifth with only a bit of jumping at the end. Thanks everyone, for the support.

Heck - that CANTER is why I love him! That use of his hind legs in the early video without your work with him shows a natural excellent use of his body and balance. Nice horse. :slight_smile: (The things I like also tend to equal better at jumping, too!)

1 Like