Unlimited access >

Conformation Critique---new pic from a year and a half later--new video last post

https://www.facebook.com/lori.lavoie.35/videos/10158448884870648/

Baby steps Now working on grids and small courses, loving how he is staying quiet and in rhythm throughout. So pleased with his progress!!

4 Likes

LOVE!! I am pretty convinced I am your guy’s #1 fan – besides you, of course!! :winkgrin:

1 Like

I might fight Beowulf for #1 fan status. What a doll!

1 Like

You two just keep looking better and better!! Love the updates and pictures, keep them coming.

There’s really nothing a good STB can do, huh?

I am currently re-training and showing a STB trotter so I’ll chime in - I love your guy, his bone is wonderful and he exudes the STB level-headedness.

As far as pace, he was a bit quick after the first fence. The pace up to that fence was a nice 1-2-1-2 and then got a little quick/choppy. I love that he doesn’t have the disjointed canter some can get where the back looks like they’re still trotting and the front is cantering. Saw that a lot at a show I attended last month.

The lead change was nice and quick with no fuss, love that.

Overall he looks like he’d be super fun to ride - wish you were closer to the east coast US to attend some STB shows here! We’re really trying to promote the breed in my area and get more STB only shows like the OTTB’s have.

1 Like

Pretty good. You found all the fences, might have pinned up higher if you could have finished that flying change (it was there, just needed a little more gas)…but that will come. He’s a bit on his forehand and gives an impression of…don’t know how to describe it…bit stiff in the back, little heavy landing later in the course. Nothing tragic, just the difference from a primary colored ribbon and the green one.

Think woking a lot of transitions, particularly trot-canter-trot and canter-halt-canter, shoulder in and out, hip in and out and leg yields will help unlock remaining stiffness and improve his ability to carry himself more off his rear. He spent years staying straight between the shafts. He just needs to loosen up the bending skills. Rarely recommend schooling circles in Hunters but think that would be helpful IF he’s held on the correct bend. Some ground poles along the circle track can help you shape and hold his bend, aim for the center of each as you go around…yes it’s a kindergarten version of the dreaded wheel of death, start with one, add more as you get better.

Rider might find more leg helpful to shift him back,little higher hand landing and going away. What bit are you using? Might find one with a touch of lift worth trying.

It is a twisted Dee snaffle with a curved mouthpiece, we’ve found he seems to work best in it. He has some stiffness issues, particularly in the left stifle/hock which we are addressing with the help of a chiropractor. Yes, the lead change is there, it’s just a question of consistency now. Thanks for your imput on schooling ideas, with the winter months approaching, we will have ample time to work on these ideas in the arena.

Ahhhhh, serpentines with big loops around (not trying to stay close to the marker) are good winter drills. Set some cones or something on the outside of the loop track ( if that makes sense) or even ground poles to give you a visual so you dont let him cut and lay on the inside shoulder instead of bend the spine above the rib cage.

Thinking out loud here…dont think he needs “more” bit but might benefit from adding a bit of lift, just around the corners and going away after landing. Maybe a gag with two reins so you can add lift only when needed? Or a 3 ring…which is really a mild bit on the top ring with the ability to add a little lift as needed from the middle or lower ring. It’s not about you bitting to force it, it’s about just a little nudge to teach him to do it himself and a reminder if he doesn’t. It’s new to him.

There’s a book that should still be available. 101 Excercises Over Ground Poles by Linda Allen, a prominent course designer a few years back. NOT for teaching jumping as much as help you to get him looser and using his body better and give you a visual reference for circles and bending, getting over the center of each pole isn’t easy and should keep the winter from getting boring, there’s lots to do. And you can organize a riding plan for ach ride, that’ll get you out to the barn, setting a goal for the day gets your motivation back in gear on crap days in a dreary winter.

Kind of ironic you have the opposite challenge as most riders, I don’t think anybody will ever say you weren’t straight…horse made his living for years staying straight between the shafts. That part he’s got.

Oh…how about carrot stretches to loosen the shoulder and poll? Think there’s some things to loosen the hips up too…cherry pick what will help from anywhere, regardless if the rest of that “system” suits you or not.

1 Like

@findeight , we do do the carrot stretches, both mounted and from the ground, he’s got those figured out…he LOVES his carrots and mints and will practically walk through Hades to get some. I’ve got a fantastic part boarder who has done wonders with him, and will continue to do so. We are doing basic dressage as well, he is very sensitive to the leg and really moves off them well. He has a bit of a downhill build as well, so that makes keeping off his front end a little more difficult, but he is starting to lift his shoulders and tuck his hind end underneath him more. The chiro work has done wonders for him, I saw a huge difference the first time I rode him after his adjustment. We are also blessed with miles and miles of rolling acres to hack on, and lots of trotting and short canters up long slopes has also done wonders for his hind end. I do have a three ring bit I could use, something to try out during the winter.

He’s beautiful! I enjoyed reading the whole thread and watching his videos… he sounds like a wonderful partner. Thanks for giving him a new career and life!

2 Likes

Nice to follow up on this so everybody can follow along your journey. Thx.

2 Likes

What a lovely boy!

1 Like

What an amazing job you have done with him!

1 Like

I just want to squeeze his cute sweet face! He is just too stinking adorable!

I truly laughed out loud at this…I tell him that nearly every time I see him, and literally smoosh his nose!

So what are you feeding this boy, to have all those dapples! (I love “hammer head,” roman nose profiles, btw)

He gets a mix of sweet feed, lots of beet pulp, and flax seed, as well as lush pastures and good quality hay. The flax seed puts a bloom on the coat. I am also a bit obsessive when it comes to grooming, lol I love his profile too, I find it very distinguished :smiley:

I love seeing these updates… I was just wondering how you guys were doing last week. You two are amazing!!! Keep em coming!

1 Like

You guys are a super pair!

A recent topic made me think of you and your boy. Any updates for his #1 COTH fan?