Unlimited access >

Cool Looking TB

They do :slight_smile: But it’s in one tiny line, Catch A Bird, an Aussie horse. For all intents and purposes it doesn’t exist, but technically it does.
http://brindlehorses.com/brindlehos/stallions/Catch_A_Bird/bird.htm

7 Likes

Yep, exactly.

W20 is thought to be the “Sabino” gene presumed to exist in many breeds/lines that looks Sabino but don’t test for SB1. If you look at even a few tested W20 horses, you’ll see their white really does fit the pattern of what has historically been called sabino. Basic leg and face white, nothing fancy.

If that’s not a quote straight out of an equine color genetics discussion, I dunno what is.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A few decades ago I knew a little bit about basic color genetics in horses. By this date in genetics research, however, I have been left far behind in the dust and am no longer trying to keep up. :grin:

3 Likes

:laughing: I know! It does, but it doesn’t, so just go with it doesn’t, unless you prove it does. Or something like that :sweat_smile:

And yeah, a LOT has happened in 1 decade, let alone a few!

3 Likes

I have a friend who custom paints model horses, in realistic style. She has a code of honor that she will only paint colors & patterns that are genetically realistic. She knows a lot about color genetics. A couple of models, though, I had to ask “where is your reference photo for that?” And she said “well it’s genetically possible based on what we know now, but I couldn’t find a photo of a horse with that color pattern anywhere”. :laughing:

1 Like

I have never seen an extensively marked STB. I did not know they exist!

@JB Puchilingui was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this girl! I used to own one of his grandsons and it sent me down the color genetics rabbit hole when I found out he was a Sabino because my Beau didn’t have a single speck of white to be found, lol. 10392186_176134245700_4250004_n

2 Likes

The Puchi line is W5 :slight_smile:

TBs don’t actually have Sabino1, the only currently testable SB gene.

What a good looking boy Beau is! And yea, that W5 and most of the Ws are very unpredictable when it comes to expression :slight_smile:

1 Like

The actual source of Airdrie Apache’s W22 mutation is actually his dam, Not Quite White shown here as a foal. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/220183869257757589/

2 Likes

Caught Saluki today in Aqueduct Race 5, MSW, outer turf for maidens, fillies 2YO foaled in New York and New York State-bred registered.

Caton Bredar mentioned briefly the ‘bay’ color as registered. JC doesn’t have a checkbox for what this girl is. She does have a partially black mane. Sounds like the other color ‘possibility’ as far as JC registration would be white.

She is flashy for sure. Does appear to be real big and really didn’t appear to like her job finishing 11th of 12 and never better than 10th.

If I was looking for flashy and a TB sport horse, she might be a nice find.

1 Like

And here is another unusually colored TB. Looks like this one can run a bit.

3 Likes

Sodashi is from the line of (mostly white) Ws over in Japan that I mentioned earlier. Her dam’s dam is Shirayukihime who is white herself and the origin of that particular W mutation. She has 11 foals, 10 of whom are white. 1 is gray (no idea the underlying phenotype, she really is gray though). Most of Shirayukihime’s foals have pretty good records over there.

1 Like

Sodashi won!

9 Likes

I believe that is the only horse I’ve ever seen that looks good in a white bridle.

5 Likes

Yes to that! I normally hate white bridles–makes even the most beautiful head look ugly.
But she wears it well–and not only a white bridle, but white blinkers and a white breaking strap.

3 Likes

She has to be the most successful thoroughbred of color of all time!

Buchiko. Dig the groom’s socks! :clap:

Another groom matching the color of White Vessel.
(How do they stay so clean???)

10 Likes

Oh wow. Love the white.

1 Like

Australia takes the one lone Roan line from another breed?! How are they getting all the cool mutants down there? They have the loan Roan Morgan too!

3 Likes

Really? Do tell!!

2 Likes