Unlimited access >

Cool Looking TB

From the Morgans of Color website:

There are a few documented cases in other breeds of KIT mutations resulting in what are known as “de novo”—or spontaneously occurring—true roans. These horses do not have a roan parent; their coloring is due to a random mutation in KIT. The New Zealand bred bay Thoroughbred stallion, Catch A Bird, is the most well-known example of this phenomena. Catch A Bird had what looked like white brindling over his body, which is not a typical roan phenotype. Roan is not known to exist in Thoroughbreds, but four of Catch A Bird’s foals had the classic look of a dark headed roan. Would it be possible that the same thing could happen in Morgans, potentially bringing roan back to our breed? For many years that has been the hope for fans of the colorful Morgan. Last year, at Caroline Tarr’s Belvue Stud in South Australia, it actually happened. Watching Moonshadows (Mt Tawonga King (black) x Mt Tawonga Sophia (bay)) appears to be a true dark headed roan, and it is hoped that she will pass on her roan when she is eventually bred, returning this beautiful color to the breed.

This was not ‘last year’ … the filly is coming 3 now…and just stunning. She is out of a bay and by a black. No roan in either line.

Previous to her, the breed had one other ‘better-known’ gelding state-side in the late 80s into the 90s. A Blue Roan who showed in dressage. His Roan line seems to have ended with him. The roan came from his dam, but it was just her and her dam and while both had roan offspring, in my prelim research, the offspring didn’t produce anything. This was also in the time where the Morgan registry was very anti-color. It is not surprising that the color was shut down really quick.

I have guarded hopes for Moonshadow though! Can’t wait to see if they breed her.

4 Likes

Sweet!! She looks lovely, as in I wouldn’t say no to breeding her.

KIT is just fascinating in how easily it mutates

1 Like

The Japanese are weird and wonderful in their style. The velvet hunt caps are fascinating.

Very elegant to put the white tack on the white horse.

Who was it that started and/or joined in with the tacky white bridle thing in the U.S.? Lucas? Baffert? It was unfortunate that so many nice horses were made to look coarse because of those bridles.

We had white racing tack long before that, in the 1950’s in our race barn.
No one considered them tacky as in not appropriate, just one more piece of tack.
We kept a couple white bridles we used mostly on grey horses.
I may still have one somewhere in an old tack trunk.
Most barns did, it was common that long ago, just not used on many horses, because there were not that many grays that were the right grey to look good in them.

That grey/white is a stunning picture, interesting genetics there.

You cared what they looked like though and saved them for the greys they would flatter. That’s nice.

I think it was Lucas that put white bridles on bay and chestnut horses and made some lovely horses look coarse.

Best I remember, it was so long ago, the white didn’t stay well on leather and would some come off as you cleaned it and developed little cracks.
We had a little bottle with a stopper with a tiny brush with some white shoe polish we used to brighten it again.
I don’t think you would want to use that color leather bridle that much then, but maybe today those bridles are made of plastic based materials.

Yes - D. Wayne Lukas made it his “style”. His “thing”.

All of those horses in white bridles reminded me of a bunch of old men in white shoes and belts.

It wasn’t a good look in my opinion, but there’s no accounting for taste. :grinning:

3 Likes

My dad likes white socks because he says his dad always wore black, so that’s an old man look. My husband thinks white socks look old… it’s the fashion treadmill at work!

3 Likes

Caught Saluki again yesterday Race 7 at Aqueduct, MSW for NY state-bred registry.

I love how flashy this girl is. All I could think of is she needs to be retired to a different career than racing; just not sure it’s her jam. Sure wouldn’t kick her out of my stable for sure :star_struck:

3 Likes

No, from the replay she does not seem to want to be a race horse. Hope her appearance helps her get another job.

4 Likes

Sodashi, white TB, is now five for five:

5 Likes

I think your COTH name is very appropriate for this thread. :smiley:

3 Likes

Although very unintentional :joy:

So are the white Thoroughbreds born white or are they born dark like a classic gray? Or do they gray out to white more quickly? They’re really white-white!

Sodashi (and others) are born white. Genetics.

I would love to know how they are kept so clean.

Also, I have a pinto with a lot of white, and his upper white parts can easily sunburn. Wonder if that is an issue–but maybe they don’t get out much.

Like Maythehorsebewithme said, they are born white. They are essentially a whole-horse white spot, pink skin and all

Lots of horses with lots of white on top don’t sunburn. Some do. A lot of it has to do with the thickness of their coat.

1 Like

It’s so weird to me that Sunday Silence, a black horse, produced a white filly, Shirayukihime, who is Sodashi’s grandmother. Black is pretty unusual and white is really unusual.

1 Like

Shirayukihime is a novel mutation of the White set of genes. It happens a lot more than people realize :slight_smile: Last I remember I think there were over 50 Ws identified, meaning 50 unique variations of white, and that’s just the ones that have been studied. Some of them produce these all-white horses, most of them produce much less white. Only a few of the tests are publicly available. So neither Sunday Silence, nor her bay dam, had anything to do with this White mutation, other than producing a foal who has the mutation.

3 Likes

Do these genes have a lot of repeats in them? These loci sound pretty error prone!