COTH jingles needed!

Was cleaning my boy’s right hind today and the hoof pick went right through the point of his frog into his foot. Blood ran out!! Turns out that d$&m thrush had snuck in under his frog and rotted away. OMG.

Had the vet out immediately. Cleaned a huge hole to the sensitive tissue but xrays (including dye) indicate it did not reach the coffin bone. The farrier will be out on Monday to put on a hospital plate (he was due to be shod anyway). In the meantime his foot is packed with gauze, wrapped in vetwrap, duct tape and elasticon. Antibiotics on board both in the hole and IV.

He’s 20 and stood like a champ for the entire process, including the betadine foot soak. I’ve had him since he was 2 3/4 so he’s precious to me.

38 Likes

Sending Super-Sized ((( Jingles ))) to your boy!

What a trooper he is. :medal_military:

I hope he heals quickly and glad you were able to get him veterinary care so fast.

5 Likes

Jingles coming to you! Hope it all works out well!

2 Likes

Big jingles for your boy :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

Sending those jingles!

1 Like

Jingles and Jingles and more Jingles. That is such a scary experience.

3 Likes

Yikes! Poor fella. Mad jingles incoming

1 Like

:chains::chains:

1 Like

Huge jingles for your precious boy and hugs for you.
:chains: :link: {{{Hugs}}}

1 Like

:chains::chains::chains::chains::chains::chains::chains::chains::chains::exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:
Jingles First!
But, take heart.
My TB was in his late teens when he got a stone bruise that developed into a subsolar abcess.
I discovered it the same way you did :astonished:
Picked the hoof, drew blood :dizzy_face:
It took 8 months to resolve & he sloughed half his sole - inner structures visible :weary:
Vet said it looked like he’d done his own resection :worried:
8 months of soak, medicate, wrap, repeat, twice daily
Like your boy, he’d stand in the aisle, unhaltered (my barn, at home) to have his hay while I treated the foot.
Started in August, by March he graduated to glue-on shoes on fronts.
3 rounds of those - :money_with_wings:- & he was sound.
I’d promised him he could decorate the pasture if that’s all he could do.
But when the glue-ons came off, he was completely sound.
:pray::crossed_fingers:For your guy to have the same outcome & hopefully a shorter recovery time!

17 Likes

Jingles for your boy!

2 Likes

Many jingles!

2 Likes

Jingles!

2 Likes

Jingles for your boy!

2 Likes

Egads! Crazy jingles!!!

2 Likes

Sounds very scary, lots of jingles coming your way.

2 Likes

Yikes! Jingles!!!

2 Likes

Sending more jingles for your boy. He’s up to date on tetanus right? I’m sure he is but I’d just thought I’d mention it.

3 Likes

Yikes how scary! Sending lots of jingles for your boy!

2 Likes

Yes, up to date on all. Always done with spring shots.

3 Likes