Court date for Michael Barisone?

I thought it was plead. Pled. Plead. Hmm. Google? Oh, Google?

2 Likes

I must be a holdout because I use ‘pled’.

6 Likes

Plead and pled are different, pled being past tense, “he pled.” Plead is present tense, “how does the defendent plead?” I may be wrong, it’s early and there is still caffeine in the world I haven’t consumed yet :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Like lead and led.

I will say that I am always amazed that people manage to learn English as a second language. It has a lot of crazy twists and turns to it. It’s hard enough to learn it as a first language!

14 Likes

My HS Spanish teacher, one of only3 good nuns in that whole miserable experience, said that in order to learn Spanish well one must first speak English well.

5 Likes

Well, that explains why I sucked at Spanish too.

10 Likes

Lol!

I only know a little bit of what I would think of as “Spanish snippets around the barn.” But I never thought of it that way.

2 Likes

I thought I had picked up a little Spanish in our barn, plus I had a little translator book. I wrote on the white board asking the guys to please feed my dog as I would be back late. After hearing much hysterical laughter as they read it, I asked how I did. Apparently I wrote, Please eat my dog. So, yeah, I quit trying to communicate that way.

16 Likes

! Phew, good thing they didn’t follow instructions.

A vet friend used a copy of a Horseman’s Spanish/English Dictionary (or some such title) on a case. His diagnosis first emerged as “your horse is deranged.”

13 Likes

That’s pretty darn funny.

Show of hands. How many people learned most of their barn Spanish from that one tan translation poster that hangs in a lot of tack rooms? :wave:

Maybe they should revise it to have a little space in the bottom corner for dog and cat care as well. Lol.

4 Likes

I use the translator apps on my phone and apparently they don’t always translate accurately. I get some bewildered looks.

2 Likes

We had a crew that spoke predominantly Spanish when we renovated our house. I asked them to teach me how to curse in Spanish. The foreman was appalled! I did learn one bad word, and would walk through the house saying it, cracking the guys up!

4 Likes

Wait, is there another way to learn Spanish?!?

Years and years ago, there was a new customer coming into the barn where my friend worked. The barn manager at the farm she was coming from called my friend, and told her that the new customer was very fluent in Spanish.

So my friend gave a heads up to all the guys who worked there, and when the woman eventually moved to a different barn, my friend called that barn manager and gave her the same information. Professional courtesy on display there.

11 Likes

I was told to watch a movie or show in Spanish and then in English and eventually I would pick up on what was being said.
I can usually figure out the topic of the conversation but not the specific words.

1 Like

Not enough Vino

1 Like

Just a quick add to this tangent: If anyone is trying to develop listening skills with a language or trying to keep up with a language when they are in an area where it is not spoken, this is a really great resource:

radio.garden

There’s a nifty globe and you can zoom around and find live radio from all over the world. I speak a super minority language and I’m able to go right to one of the areas in which that language thrives and listen to native speakers all day. Not only is it nice, it really helps keep my ear keen to the spoken language. I read a newspaper in that language daily, but being able to hear it daily as well really helps keep me up to scratch and current on the lingo when I go home!

It’s also great fun just to find interesting stations all over the world, regardless of language. And it’s free!

Just my favourite language hack of the last couple years.

19 Likes

Thanks so much for reminding me about this site. I used to use it all the time. There was a station right outside Paris that played only classic Chanson Française (French popular music from the 1930s-1970s). I need to go look for it again.

Also, bunches of French stations can be found at: https://www.radio.fr/genre/chanson

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I’m enjoying myself immensely and shared it with the world history teacher in the family - because a fair number of students and/or their parents hail from other countries and may enjoy it too.

4 Likes

Question of the day: if you are a LEO, is being a simple squatter different from being a squatter who threatens your family, property, clients, livelihood, friends?

5 Likes

If the officers were found to have not handled the situation property, could they be charged under the Law Enforcement Misconduct Statute failure to intervene or something like that?

Are these situations typically handled with civil suits or can the officers face prosecution? (Again, if they did not act appropriately in their roles as law enforcement officers)