Court date for Michael Barisone?

Good point. I gleaned from some of the testimony this morning the victims had reported to SS, so I have no clue. For damn sure, lots of people dropped the ball on the gymnasts and should face prosecution.

2 Likes

That’s what I remembered as well.
If she didn’t call CPS, she seemed willing to let people think she might have.

5 Likes

I would almost swear she admitted she did in fact call CPS not that long ago.

6 Likes

In 2012, the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee launched the SafeSport program, which is meant to improve athlete safety. In 2017, the committee created the nonprofit U.S. Center for SafeSport.

Aly Raisman’s mother in particular contacted SS repeatedly, with no response or updates. The implication by Ms. Raisman at the hearing was that SS was protecting the PTB.

6 Likes

Well, that’s absolutely horrific. Those poor women and girls. What a nightmare they lived through.

5 Likes

Sidetrack Alert-Another update in the Wagner/Rhoden case for those interested in this case discussed earlier in this thread.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, the SafeSport the female gymnasts dealt with was not exactly the same one that we now have and it was a formal group under the USOC and apparently beholden to their whims and politics of the respective NGBs. The term SafeSport - which refers to the investigatory group concept introduced by the USOC in 2012 - was recycled for use by the Federal government authorized and funded US Center for SafeSport, which is an organization that came about from that idea and things were carried over from the USOC version, but with separation from the NGBs. That’s why the experience of the female gymnasts was so awful, as there was connectivity to USA Gymnastics and because the FBI had no guidance or oversight for what they were carrying out, which is why the Center for SafeSport had to be created, to move the sport organizations out of the middle and to the side while giving structure and resources to the investigatory and regulatory processes that needed to be implemented, as that wasn’t happening with the USOC SafeSport efforts.

10 Likes

I don’t think the FBI should have needed guidance or oversight to say, Hey, this guy is molesting all these gymnasts, maybe we should throw him in jail.

15 Likes

Seiously.
It should be obvious to people whose job is “Investigation”, wouldn’t you think?

12 Likes

Yes. Unless they were in a separate division called the Federal Bureau of Letting It Slide.

As I said on another thread, those two FBI agents who covered it up need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, if only to make the rest of the organization more likely to do their jobs.

15 Likes

Funny how suddenly we have swung back to LEOs not doing their jobs!! Wonder if those two ex-FBI agents now work for the MCPD? (sarcasm for those who have trouble recognizing same)

5 Likes

Tried to put in other thread but cant find it-am I correct to assume from this the trial is set for February?

5 Likes

I read it as the judge has decided that February is the longest that they can continue to hold MB under New Jersey’s speedy trial legislation - he’d order his release on personal recognizance or, in theory, would have the ability to dismiss the charges entirely.

It seems to be part of the bail reform from the mid 2010’s.

11 Likes

I’ve been told that some attorneys who have had jury trials delayed are pushing for charges to be dismissed.

3 Likes

Wow. That would be something.

[edit] this article says Rob’s arm was broken! [edit]

6 Likes

I noticed that, too.

1 Like

I wonder what the 104 hearing does other than admit evidence. I would think all the evidence would have been admitted by now.

1 Like

Seriously, how does that work when there are pictures that she posted of him online a couple weeks after it happened with no cast, no bandages? How to you fix a broken bone without even splinting it?

11 Likes

Why are his attys saying they need 3 months for expert psych eval, is that what they are saying? The past two years wasn’t enough time to get one done? They only are thinking of it just now?

1 Like