Court date for Michael Barisone?

Jaysus, how anyone with a working brain cell or two could have the face to call any administration “lying” after the previous four years is unfathomable. :roll_eyes:

But, I don’t think that comment belongs in this thread as it just seems an utterly irrelevant politicisation of a non-political topic, so maybe leave that kind of gratuitous snark to CE, yeah?

29 Likes

Agree, the previous administration certainly had plenty of issues. And there have been numerous snark comments about it on this thread and others.

So can we get back to regular programming? As I asked in my other post - will there be info released about the outcome of the Oct. 8 hearing?

4 Likes

Please leave the political stuff to the CE forum. Do not want to get the thread locked because of a heated political debate.

Not sure why some people have to toss political jabs into every thread. (No specific some people, general some people.)

18 Likes

Deleted as off topic

2 Likes

Who cares? Can we PLEASE move the political discussion to the CE forum.
One of you wants to discuss this topic, please go start a thread there.

16 Likes

I mean, yeah, this thread topic (MB, LK, shooting, etc.) is enough on its own :rofl::woman_facepalming:

12 Likes

Legal question - Is the hearing they are talking about a typical thing for all criminal cases? Or just if some piece of evidence that the prosecution wants to use is questioned by the defense?

1 Like

Well, if the horse had once been living on the range and was no longer doing so, that would be a true statement!

Kaboom!

My horse would be totally de-ranged if we went out trail riding in our favorite place today. A loose emu, an escaped pet from the nearby fires, has been spotted by hikers.

5 Likes

OMG. I used to school and hack a lovely 17.2 HH warmblood mare who was amazing in every way… except for her pathological fear of geese. I mean, exploding up and sideways and backwards at the mere suggestion of a goose. I never came off (mostly by sheer dumb luck) but when I think of her reaction if she had seen an emu wandering about? Sheer dumb luck would not have saved me!

5 Likes

In a word peacocks

8 Likes

There will most likely be a reporter or two at the hearing, so I would expect some sort of article.

3 Likes

There will most likely be a reporter or two at the hearing, so I would expect some sort of article.

Hopefully it will be a reporter that gets the story straight. I trust reporters/editors to report a story accurately about “as much as I trust Harvey Weinstein with my daughter.” LOL.

3 Likes

But don’t they know that we Cothers have a vested interest in this and a right to know??? :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Yes.

The murder case I worked my last two years of high school had so many filings and hearings- and evidentiary hearings are standard. How they are handled depends on the procedural laws where you are, but having grown up watching TV shows where it looks like trials happen in 2 weeks after a murder with few or no hearings ahead of time vs the reality of working a case was so fascinating to me! (I did things like file paperwork, make copies, and sort thousands of pages of disclosure so they could be reviewed. The most important thing I did was listen to interviews and compare both the transcription and translations to make sure they were correct.)

3 Likes

The speedy trial issue is an interesting one, Covid aside. Scheduling a criminal trial (and each of the sometimes numerous hearings leading up to it) requires the coordination of many people’s schedules: the judge, the prosecutor(s), the defense attorney(s) (plurals possible in more serious cases), expert witnesses, etc. Often it is not the prosecutor or the judge seeking repeated delays, even though the public perception is that they are in control of the caseload. It is well accepted that delays mainly favor the defense because witnesses’ memories fade over time, as does their willingness to show up for repeated court dates. Meanwhile the pressure to dispose of the case builds as time passes and more cases accumulate, and the prosecution becomes more likely to offer a favorable plea.

From an article on speedy trial issues in Illinois (https://www.lib.niu.edu/1981/ii810604.html):

And here’s an…interesting…article on one particular defense attorney in the Bronx: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/15/nyregion/justice-denied-courts-in-slow-motion-aided-by-defense.html

3 Likes

But an alternate view of this is the awareness that if an attorney could have made a motion, but didn’t, there will be appeals regarding ineffective defense, and that isn’t good for an attorney’s career if they are ruled as ineffective.

1 Like

LOL, Sen John Kennedy from Louisiana

Aight, back to the trial.

5 Likes

Fair enough. The bar for Ineffective assistance is really high though. Like scary high!

I was curious about the process CPS uses in their investigations. I was told by someone who used to do these investigations (not in NJ) that it is not uncommon to do criminal background checks on all adults living in the household as well as interviews with all of them. ThIs person said they also inspect the home as well.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what the steps are for CPS investigations in NJ? Since the arrival of CPS seems to be a possible catalyst for the shooting I am curious of the process.

2 Likes