Court date for Michael Barisone?

I doubt MB would say that specifically about JJ Tate. LK is not the one that brought up her name in that context. She winters, trains and shows in Florida, many top riders go back north for the summer, MB included.
I had the pleasure of meeting her in Florida when a friend and I went to her place to look at a horse she had for sale. She is a lovely lady and my friend ended up buying a sweet upper level gelding from her.

3 Likes

Just a general question - does Ketamine cause memory loss? I’m wondering whether it may be the cause of MB being unable to remember events as opposed to possible dissociative amnesia.

2 Likes

If someone has an arm as broken as has been described I would think being handcuffed would make them combative for good reason. The pain would be horrible.

9 Likes

Except he (Elijah M in CO, pronouns are the downfall of communication, imo) wasn’t combative and was actually apologizing to the officers.

Pathetic that a drug like that can be used in the field, on a person with no known medical history.
Criminal, if you ask me.

16 Likes

Absolutely criminal. May a jury agree and a judge sentence all of these people to years in prison.

Police should never - NEVER - be the ones determining that someone needs to be sedated and in what manner.

On September 1, two years after McClain died, a grand jury returned a 32-count indictment charging officers Nathan Woodyard and Randy Roedema, former police officer Jason Rosenblatt, and Aurora Fire and Rescue paramedics Jeremy Cooper and Lieutenant Peter Cichuniec with one count each of manslaughter and one count each of criminally negligent homicide.

Roedema and Rosenblatt also face one count each of second-degree assault with intent to cause bodily injury and committing a crime of violence. Meanwhile, the paramedics each face one count of second-degree assault with intent to cause bodily injury; second-degree assault for recklessly causing serious bodily injury by means of a deadly weapon (ketamine); and one count of second-degree assault for a purpose other than lawful medical or therapeutic treatment. Each of these also carries two counts of crimes of violence.

Ketamine has a relatively wide safety limit but that doesn’t mean you deliberately overdose someone.

Paramedics arrived and injected the 140-pound (63.5-kilogram) McClain with 500 milligrams of ketamine — more than 1 1/2 times the dose for his weight.

(2) higher doses cause great difficulty in moving, respiratory disturbances, seizures and nausea; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6197107/

The investigative report will raise your (g) blood pressure. Or it SHOULD.

8 Likes

Omg. I still havent recovered from “impact” replacing “affected”.

(head in hands)

4 Likes

I am shocked it could be used out in the field.

I have worked both as a vet tech and in veterinary pharmaceutical sales. Back in the early to mid 90s, ketamine was being stolen from vet offices, sometimes by armed people. Many times the thieves were after both needles and the drug. A vet, local to the town I lived in, was viciously attacked for by thieves after Ketamine while leaving her practice late one night after an emergency surgery.

Ketamine has also been used as a date rape drug. If I recall correctly, it is tasteless, so the victim will not know their drink has been tampered with.

4 Likes

I’m equally shocked at how lackadaisical the department was in dispensing and handling this drug. As for injecting anyone with it and not being capable and certified to intubate (a qualified paramedic) - well - I am horrified. HORRIFIED.

http://p1cdn4static.civiclive.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_1881137/File/Departments/Fire/AFR%20Protocols%2008012019.pdf (2019)

With apologies to the readers. I have wandered around the church widdershins. Again. I’ll stick to the immediate topic now.

6 Likes

Elijah McClain wasn’t just given Ketamine, he was given a massive dose of 500 mg. This was also AFTER he was throwing up from being choked while they were “detaining” him via choke hold. Also he wasn’t even doing anything
 he was walking home. And you can hear the cops in the body cam footage tell each other to “move their cameras” before they “fell off”.

His story gets only more sad and more infuriating the more you hear about it. But point is, ketamine is absolutely used in the field to “detain” people even when they clearly don’t need detaining.

10 Likes

Yes, we can all read the 157 page report. That’s why I included a link.

Lt. Cichuniec told Major Crime investigators that he advised Falck of the 500 milligram
dosage amount, which Lt. Cichuniec based on calculations of five milligrams per kilogram and his
estimation that Mr. McClain weighed 85 kilograms (or approximately 190 pounds).459
Lt.
Cichuniec explained to Major Crime investigators that he was taught three ketamine doses — 300
milligrams for “small,” 400 milligrams for “medium,” and 500 milligrams for “large” — and he
chose a 500 milligram dosage because (i) his weight-based calculation suggested a dosage over
400 milligrams; (ii) “because of his agitated state and his signs and symptoms of excited delirium”;
(iii) because “he was over the 400, and with a 5 cc syringe,” there were “no increments on there to
measure exactly”; and (iv) because of “the training we got that if he falls above [the weight
corresponding to 400 milligrams], we’re not going to go down, because then we have to call in for
additional if it doesn’t work.” 460

2 Likes

What happened to the idea of sticking to the immediate topic at hand?

11 Likes

I succumbed to a moment of weakness. I’ll do better.

:zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

48 Hours was there. I mentioned them interviewing me in jest since I am president of the “murder club”. I have no desire to speak to them!

7 Likes

I imagine them apologizing between each punch to the face.

7 Likes

48 HRS IS MY FAVOURITE SHOW EVER!!

I can not wait for this episode!!!

That is all.

4 Likes

That’s correct. It’s tasteless, odorless, clear liquid, so easily slipped into a drink without being detected. It can cause hallucinations, dis-associative states, and loss of time and memory. My sister started feeling weird at a bar one night and called me. I stayed on the line with her while I drove to get her to make sure she was ok. To this day she doesn’t remember anything from the point she called me until waking up the next morning. Ketamine may explain why MB would have lost time and memory.

6 Likes

Yes, I worked in a vet ER from 95-97.
I very clearly remember the concern about ketamine .

2 Likes

Damned glad we grew up on very different parts of Ontario!

3 Likes

That would make it even worse if he could not assist with his own defense due to the medication they gave him.

6 Likes

:joy: