Court date for Michael Barisone?

Oh yeah that’s me. Right here. I am never confident in which is which, so I just switch it. lol

I also misspell maintenance the first time, every time, even though I know better, and even though I type it many times per day…

1 Like

I found this video interesting. It is older but it brings up legal points that the average person with no legal knowledge might find surprising. It is a long video and the guy talks fast. I would be interested in what others thought about it.

4 Likes

This is another more recent video from the same person. It is mostly about the book he authored but brings up interesting points as well.

3 Likes

Geberal comment.

As I said above, I have been given ketamine and opiates while getting a broken arm set. The surgical repair of the arm with pins described for MB is much more drastic than I went through. And yes, apparently you yell and scream under Ketamine but just don’t remember the pain on coming back up.

My sister had a broken arm surgically pinned (no external scaffold) a few years back, not sure what anaesthetics used.

In both cases, the broken arm was due to a silly slip/trip, no head injuries or traumatic event. Neither of us found we had any memory loss of the incident.

If MB indeed has memory loss, that could be from concussion sustained in the brawl, or from psychological trauma and dissociation. He might have been given painkillers by paramedics, but typically those just don’t have an effect of amnesia of prior events.

It’s also possible claiming memory loss is an exaggeration or isn’t 100 per cent true. There is no way to tell.

But I doubt amnesia of prior events is due to the pain killers and anaesthetics per se. After you get the pain killers, time goes past in strange ways but after you are off them you have no memory loss of prior events.

5 Likes

Im curious if the memory loss is a valid one, if it was ever regained, how accurate are those memories. I have heard of people undergoing hypnosis to deal with a traumatic event but do not know how accurate the memory recall is. Probably would not be done before a criminal trial anyway I would guess.

Has this link been posted yet? If so, I apologize for the repeat. https://nancyjaffer.com/michael-barisone-will-be-tried-next-year-for-attempted-murder/

1 Like

Just because that was your experience doesn’t make it the same for everyone.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/hallucinogens-dissociative-drugs/what-are-effects-common-dissociative-drugs-brain-body

“At moderate to high doses, ketamine can cause sedation, immobility, and amnesia”

Based on the quote above it sounds like amnesia can be a known side effect of ketamine.

My husband had been on opiates in the past and has forgotten entire conversations. Recently he was in the hospital, was on pain killers and was pretty out of it. Some of the things he “remembers” happening while he was inpatient didn’t happen. It was weird dreams that were interwoven with things from the news and the TV shows that were on as back round noise. I had to turn the TV off. For him it was obvious that most of it wasn’t real.

I can see if they had MB in ICU and the local news was on that he could have subconsciously heard about LK’s shooting and other local shootings on the news and it all runs together. He might not really know what really happened at the farm and what he has incorporated from dreams and the TV. If he there were friends/family/nurses/doctors/police in and out of the room and speculating about what happened during the shooting while he was unconscious he may have picked up some of that. Therefore the amnesia could be what I would call full amnesia- zero memory of the event or partial amnesia where he recalls some parts but not all and some of what he “recalls” obviously is a false memory. There may be no way for him to differentiate between the real memories and false memory plus there may still be missing parts of memory.

12 Likes

I totally agree that memories of things that happen while sedated are going to be blurred. I just don’t think that sedation per se typically causes amnesia about things that happened previous to sedation unless there are other factors like emotional trauma or head injury. I’ve also never seen an emergency room triage center cast clinic or operating room running TV with sound on. Sometimes muted TV in waiting rooms running news channels.

Anyhow it’s possible he has total amnesia from concussion or emotional dissociation. It’s possible he has partial memory loss and doesn’t trust his recollection. And it’s possible he remembees well enough and this is a legal ploy. No way for us to know.

4 Likes

When we were in the ER room recently there was a newly added TV. They didn’t have them a few months before. It was on Golf since it was a Sunday afternoon. I don’t know if we had a choice on volume or station. I didn’t bother to look. The ICU room of course had a TV. Apparently Americans cannot be without TV for very long. They seem to be everywhere. Our local Sunoco has them on top of the pumps. Mostly ads but a few daily short news clips. I fully expect one day I will walk into a public restroom and there will be TVs in every stall and above the urinals. Don’t won’t to miss that touchdown/homerun/goal.

2 Likes

I’ve had several surgeries and my memories are completely wiped out.

Surgery 1: Gone from the point I was being examined in the ER. No memories until the next day and they are “snap shot” memories. (This was an emergency surgery)
Surgery 2: Gone from when I told my husband I was going to be fine and left him in the waiting room and they wheeled me away. I have nothing until I was in my room (not the recovery room) and it was 8 hours later.
Surgery 3: Gone from the moment I was talking to the anesthesiologist. Nothing until an hour after the surgery had been completed.

4 Likes

He and the the officer are absolutely correct. If you’re talking to the police without an attorney it can and will be used against you, never for you. The Innocence Project is amazing, there is a documentary called After Innocence that was particularly eye opening.

12 Likes

Memory is not considered reliable in court already, people are known to have skewed or wrong memories, it’s human nature.

9 Likes

Geez, how do the doctors and nurses concentrate? Doesn’t seem like a conducive atmosphere in which to do the best work.

Ok interesring. Very variable effects then.

Literally just watched this in my Business Law class that I’m taking this semester.

I’ve been entertaining my professor introducing him to all the salacious equestrian law cases, including this one.

6 Likes

That’s interesting! What does he have to say about this case? (If you care to share)

He was very interested on why it was taking so long to get to trial, concerned about violating the 6th amendment. Other than that we haven’t really talked about this one.
We talked about that Rita Crundwell, he was really interested in her since he’s active in local, small town politics and a former CPA.
We also talked about the Helen Brach disappearance and the subsequent insurance fraud, racketeering charges, etc.,.

6 Likes

Those other two cases are certainly intriguing. The horse world can sure come up with some strange stuff.

Wild Ride, the book about the downfall of Spendthrift farm…
-CORRECTION: Calumet Farm-
… at the hands of Lundy that eventually involved the death of highly leveraged Alydar is another one

7 Likes

and the horrific horse murdees

5 Likes