Court date for Michael Barisone?

I dont know what counts as 4th level felony. Felony is a serious sounding word, and not used in the Canadian legal system. Does it just mean criminal charges?

Perhaps someone who knows NJ gun laws can explicate. I wonder if the charge here could be something like “failing to secure a gun safely” which might be an automatic charge anytime your gun gets stolen by someone else and used in a crime.

Penalties for Criminal Offenses in NJ

Generally, the penalties imposed for crimes in New Jersey are as follows:

• First Degree involves ten (10) to twenty (20) years in prison;
  • Second Degree involves five (5) to ten (10) years in prison;
  • Third Degree involves one (1) to five (5) years in prison;
  • Fourth Degree involves up to eighteen (18) months in prison; and
  • Disorderly Persons Offenses involve up to six (6) months in prison

Thanks! How does this connect to the gun laws? Can we figure out what such a charge would mean in relation to gun laws?

The relevant gun law is here:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-39-9/

1 Like

New home construction five years ago. Hard wired alarms, with battery backups.

3 Likes

New Jersey law sets an incarceration range for each crime classification:

• Fourth-degree crimes carry a sentence of up to 18 months’ imprisonment, with a nine-month presumptive sentence. Examples include forgery, cyber harassment, and criminal mischief.
  • Third-degree crimes carry a sentence of three to five years’ imprisonment, with a four-year presumptive sentence. Examples include aggravated criminal sexual contact, arson, and motor vehicle theft.
  • Second-degree crimes carry a sentence of five to ten years’ imprisonment, with a seven-year presumptive sentence. Examples include aggravated arson, armed burglary, and reckless vehicular homicide.
  • First-degree crimes carry a sentence of ten to 20 years’ imprisonment, with a 15-year presumptive sentence. Examples include armed robbery, aggravated sexual assault, and aggravated manslaughter.
  • First-degree-plus crimes are not identified as such in statute, but they represent first-degree crimes that lawmakers decided deserved a longer punishment than 20 years. These crimes indicate a specific penalty in statute, such as 10 to 30 years’ imprisonment or 30 years to life imprisonment. Examples of “first-degree-plus” crimes include sexual assault of a child under 13, certain murder crimes, and kidnapping.

(N.J. Stat. §§ 2C:11-3, :13-1, :14-2, :43-6 (2020).)

@Scribbler

States may differ but generally

Violation: no jail time as punishment
Misdemeanor: sentences are up to 1 year in jail
Felony: sentences can be greater than 1 year.

All can carry $$$ penalties.

Except for violations, which are not technically crimes (in my state) each charge carries levels of seriousness and punishment. The worst in each charge is 1st degree and it lowers degrees and securities and penalties. So Assault in the 1st degree is way worse than Assault in the 4th degree as an example.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

Sharing this from the Dressage forum:

17 Likes

What you’re saying is…… my father is SO “connected,” that when he learned I was shot, he didn’t call his “big time higher ups with clout,” but instead called the NON EMERGENCY line, followed by 911 - just like any other person, explained his (likely recorded call to NE line) and the 911 dispatcher told him who to call and offered some assistance?

My father is SO full of “clout,” (according to you (g) ) he could only think first to call a non emergency line? Do you hear yourself when you speak/write? Just curious.

Why would it have been defaced? I don’t understand.

1 Like

Are you responding to a specific thread? I am confused by your post, sorry.

9 Likes

I could be wrong but here’s an observation:

The non emergency line would be the local police department direct number. The emergency line is 911. In the event you were just told your child had been shot I’m thinking 99.999% of us would call 911.

To my thinking you’d only call the local precinct if you wanted to talk to someone you knew who worked there.

Not sure why else you would call the local precinct unless you knew someone there. Maybe needed a favor.

18 Likes

In my area you do not call 911 in an emergency because that connects directly to the Highway Patrol. You can call, of course, but the call will be routed to the local fire/police depts.

2 Likes

Omg! Ruth Defaced the gun!!! On top of providing it to mb …… she also DEFACED it? Wow. Just wow! Thanks for that information Eggbutt!

3 Likes

Isn’t that mentioned in the arrest warrant as part of the charge? I’m :confused:

4 Likes

Yes. That is part of that 4th degree lesser charge. As noted elsewhere 4th degree doesn’t include giving the gun to another.

6 Likes

But what does defacement mean? And why would it be defaced?

2 Likes

I would guess the most common form of defacement is to remove the serial number.

I am not sure what else might fall into this category.

7 Likes