Unlimited access >

Cross Country

I just saw the refusal, was momentarily distracted and saw the end of the last replay and that was it!

PD on course, clear through to 7

And through the first water

PD retired

[QUOTE=nzrider;7738615]
PD on course, clear through to 7

And through the first water[/QUOTE]

Just crashed through the hedge and now retired.

ETA I’m not an eventer, but it sure seems like both Phillip’s and Buck’s ride’s ran out of steam rather abruptly. I swear I just looked away and all of a sudden Trading Aces had no gas left.

What happened?? He was looking so strong up until that moment!

My understanding is the US will now need to qualify a team for the Olympics at the Pan Ams next year. Is that correct?

[QUOTE=lizloveshorses;7738621]
What happened?? He was looking so strong up until that moment![/QUOTE]

beats me! He went through that hedge and I thought they’d recover, but then it seemed like he couldn’t even get him to canter to the next one.

His horse came in a bit wrong and brushed through the brush a bit low, almost tipped him off the front but he stuck it, but then the next fence (separate, not A&B) was only a few strides away and he couldn’t quite get everything sorted to get over it without crossing his tracks. Then retired. I wonder if he was feeling he didn’t have much horse left so called it a day, because really I think the top 20 is going to be riddled with XC penalties.

after the crashed fence, the horse walked off. I think PD thought the horse was too tired to continue esp. that early in the course. Methinks USA needs to work on conditioning…glad to see the riders retire rather than push though. The going is so heavy today…

Though horse still looked fine up until that point! He seemed to be not going all out for time early in the course (wise move) so I would have though he would have had plenty left in the tank at that point still

do we know who’s designing for pan am and 2016 olympics?

[QUOTE=nzrider;7738626]
Though horse still looked fine up until that point! He seemed to be not going all out for time early in the course (wise move) so I would have though he would have had plenty left in the tank at that point still[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it seemed to come out of nowhere. It seemed like he was galloping quite easy up till that point.

Everyone knew that the ground was going to be awful. So why not push the schedule a day? I know there are logistics involved … Wait that was funny, logistics and the French.

Same designer for 2016 Olympics. I think its the ground here though that’s mostly the problem, there are some seriously tired horses just stopping in the second half of the course

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7738627]
do we know who’s designing for pan am and 2016 olympics?[/QUOTE]

Same designer for Rio (Pierre Michelet).
I believe for Pan Ams it’s Wayne Copping.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7738630]
Everyone knew that the ground was going to be awful. So why not push the schedule a day? I know there are logistics involved … Wait that was funny, logistics and the French.[/QUOTE]

Because that would put out the schedule for the whole world games event. The jumping tomorrow is in the main stadium in Caen so if they put that back a day it would put all the showjumpers back a day as well

EDIT: Plus in Europe/UK its pretty normal to run in the mud! If its actually too wet to run (Le Lions completely flooded a couple of years ago) they cancel the whole event. You can’t cancel the world champs.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7738630]
Everyone knew that the ground was going to be awful. So why not push the schedule a day? I know there are logistics involved … Wait that was funny, logistics and the French.[/QUOTE]
How do you tell 50,000 people “Hey, we decided to push it a day. See you Sunday!”

Sure wish they had put Sinead on the team. I didn’t get it then and I don’t now. She rode so damn well.

Caen and Les Haras are faaaar. Are they really planning on trucking the horses overnight to a new location just to show jump?

Just my opinion but I don’t agree with the time being adjusted from 11:30 to 10:30. They only took out 2 fences and they knew the ground was going to slow everyone.
16 completions and 11 ret/el. Ouch