Unlimited access >

Cross Country

French rider went so beautifully, even with the one 20.

Sinead’s 20 is not looking so bad. It’s not how the penalty points are rolling in, it’s how many. At this point.

PD & Trading Aces looked one of the best pairs, but the horse just didn’t pick up over that hedge. Wonderful horse, though.

[QUOTE=lizloveshorses;7738641]
Caen and Les Haras are faaaar. Are they really planning on trucking the horses overnight to a new location just to show jump?[/QUOTE]

That was my thought. Especially the day after running cross country? Not the brightest idea

It is still looking to me like it is a struggle for the US to find horses that can really be competitive at this level. Our riders are fine, the stock needs improvement, just from a very disappointed fan who got up at 4am and can’t really see a need to stay up and watch much more. We really don’t have excuses - lots of riders from other countries are getting it done - Peter Barry finished - riders from Spain, Brazil, and Russia finished. Yes, the footing is bad but it is bad for all, even those who have less money than our group. I feel badly for the US team as we are out of it but now just hoping we send through at least two to stadium jumping tomorrow. Best wishes to all and hope that the horses are not seriously hurt, but just tired.
It’s an immense track and we HOPED we were fit enough and something like this, we have to do more than hope, we have to know. All the traveling we have to do hurts us and takes our edge away – no excuses – we just need to be that much more fitter. We know that these horses are young and old and some have issues - now we need to find six High Kingdom’s! and Rocana’s :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7738642]
Just my opinion but I don’t agree with the time being adjusted from 11:30 to 10:30. They only took out 2 fences and they knew the ground was going to slow everyone.
16 completions and 11 ret/el. Ouch[/QUOTE]

Shortened the course by 500m too though, and its all set in the rules how many metres per minute you base the time allowed off. Riders just have to be smart and realise that everyone is dealing with the same ground so everyone can expect penalties I think today

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7738644]
That was my thought. Especially the day after running cross country? Not the brightest idea[/QUOTE]

According to all their programs and schedules - yep they are!

[QUOTE=retreadeventer;7738645]
It is still looking to me like it is a struggle for the US to find horses that can really be competitive at this level. Our riders are fine, the stock needs improvement, just from a very disappointed fan who got up at 4am and can’t really see a need to stay up and watch much more. We really don’t have excuses - lots of riders from other countries are getting it done - Peter Barry finished - riders from Spain, Brazil, and Russia finished. Yes, the footing is bad but it is bad for all, even those who have less money than our group. I feel badly for the US team as we are out of it but now just hoping we send through at least two to stadium jumping tomorrow. Best wishes to all and hope that the horses are not seriously hurt, but just tired.
It’s an immense track and we HOPED we were fit enough and something like this, we have to do more than hope, we have to know. All the traveling we have to do hurts us and takes our edge away – no excuses – we just need to be that much more fitter. We know that these horses are young and old and some have issues - now we need to find six High Kingdom’s! and Rocana’s :)[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure there are 6 High Kingdom’s and Rocana’s in the world, they were both pretty darn impressive today!

Jessie Phoenix looking great on her way though the tricky last water

Hasn’t trading aces had this issue before? Wasn’t he the one who lost gas halfway through Rolex one year and then got pulled up two fences from home the next year?

You know - the Canadians could be in with a shot …

Edit: Behind the kiwis naturally LOL

[QUOTE=nzrider;7738656]
You know - the Canadians could be in with a shot …

Edit: Behind the kiwis naturally LOL[/QUOTE]

Don’t jinx it!

Chilli looks leaner (in a fit way) than I remember him being at Rolex. Am I seeing things? It looked like WFP picked him up and threw him over that first fish after the bank. :lol:

[QUOTE=nzrider;7738646]
Shortened the course by 500m too though, and its all set in the rules how many metres per minute you base the time allowed off. Riders just have to be smart and realise that everyone is dealing with the same ground so everyone can expect penalties I think today[/QUOTE]

Per FEI rulebook Art. 546.2 & 537.2 modifications can be made in exceptional circumstances to distances and speeds. They specifically list heavy rain. They did make the modification of removing 2 fences but that doesn’t seem to have been enough.
16 completions to 11 el/ret? This is eventing not endurance! Eventers are already getting enough flack from PETA and humane societies. They’ll look at this event and use it against us.

Edit: and I don’t think it’s so much that the US needs better horses as it is they need better preparation. Our courses in the states don’t quite stack up with those in Europe.

Make it easier for us to win or pick different riders instead of same old bunch?

WFP = smartest rider ever

I was wondering why he was off to the left and right instead of center over the obstacles - in some cases if most went to the left direct, he’d go right direct, and so forth …

He gave his horse the fresh footing by avoiding the same old track everyone else is on.

Also his choice of pace was superb.

Yay WFP. Well done. That’s the way to do that!

He saved Chilli’s almost-glance-stop at the water - Chilli did that same thing at Rolex the one year when they were in the lead, leading to a real stop that I think shocked WFP at the time (he seemed shocked). First & last time for that trick from Chilli M. :slight_smile:

Wait what happened to Tim Price?

I dunno but at least the U.S. can say ‘it wasn’t just us’. Not that it helps, or matters, but I suppose it’s cold comfort that some good ones are suffering along with us.

Can’t believe Ingrid K. has a stop … she is the most beautiful flowing rider.

What did happen to Tim Price? I’m not watching live, just the live scoring and it showed a red X on the last jump.

[QUOTE=OverandOnward;7738680]
I dunno but at least the U.S. can say ‘it wasn’t just us’. Not that it helps, or matters, but I suppose it’s cold comfort that some good ones are suffering along with us.

Can’t believe Ingrid K. has a stop … she is the most beautiful flowing rider.[/QUOTE]

I think they took away the stop

[QUOTE=NorCal10;7738681]
What did happen to Tim Price? I’m not watching live, just the live scoring and it showed a red X on the last jump.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a fall at the last fence.

BTW I really hate the WEG website