Unlimited access >

CWD rant

Did I read right, that a CWD saddle is 9,000 USD?

:open_mouth: Wow! They better do right by you.

3 Likes

Hopefully smaller saddle makers will have a better chance once LIM pisses everyone off. I LOVE my chiberta, but I’m sure there is a saddle just as good (and half the price) made by a smaller company. I just bought a Stankey dressage saddle (they are a little family owned company in Scotland) and it’s the best dressage saddle I’ve EVER sat in including Devoucoux and CWD

4 Likes

Yes, the Hunter Mademoiselle is $8250 plus leathers, cover, conditioners, etc. Adds up quick.

Plus the $500 “express manufacturing”

I loved my CWD leathers and always had great service from them, but I was lucky enough that my saddle was exactly as ordered. I used to contact Bertrand (?) with any questions about other products or issues and always got a very quick response. But there is absolutely no excuse for what the OP has had to go through, and how smart to have a screen shot to prove their size chart was wrong!

I wonder now that CWD and Devoucoux are under the same ownership that the customer service has deterioriated so badly? Because Devoucoux has the worst service ever, I would never buy anything from them and if this is the way CWD responds to customers I would not buy from them either!

4 Likes

You couldnt give me one of their saddles. I call them Coochie Wawa Destroyers. But on a serious note I have a good friend who did the training to become a rep. She said its a TERRIBLE company

10 Likes

Wow I bought my CWD in 2005 brand new for $3,300 plus whatever the leathers cost and sold it 7 years later in mint condition for $2,950! I feel like I almost broke even on it. In 2005 not many people even knew the brand, including my trainer!

2 Likes

These are still made/sold. I bought some not that long ago from Running Fox for my ancient Luc Childeric saddle. They have changed their logo in recent years that may or may not be stamped on the leathers now. But yes, they are thick, good quality tack.

2 Likes

I have a 2015 CWD 2Gs and wanted the same model saddle with new panels (mine have taken a beating with changing horses) and a different flap configuration. I think I paid around $5k + taxes then for full calf. I about threw up when the rep told me the current price, and the leather isn’t anywhere near as nice anymore. I wound up just trying to tweak my panels again and I just deal with not having the ideal flap for this particular horse. I have the flat seat model, so it’s not as popular / not as many used, and it seems most people buy forward flaps
 I wanted no carbon in the flap and maybe even a B (straighter than straight) flap. Tried the new hunter saddle and horse and I both hated it even though it does have a straight flap. No way I was going to pay even more for that saddle.

2 Likes

That’s an ordeal, OP. Oy!

1 Like

I got my money back!!! I would not have guessed that would happen so quickly. Thank god I NEVER have to deal with them again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Goodness this makes me so nervous.

If it helps BA- my purchases on 2 saddles have gone smoothly. My rep is awesome.

3 Likes

Mine arrives Wednesday. Fingers, legs, and toes are crossed!!

5 Likes

LAWD almighty, I would quit riding first.

7 Likes

Yikes
 I’ve heard some horror stories recently but I’m sure it depends on who you work with. My barnmate recently bought a new custom mademoiselle from them. Cost $9K + “rush” fee of $500 (came about 10 weeks later I think). They didn’t even give her a proper receipt for the order, proof of payment or shipping info when she asked. It came in last week and is completely wrong, the panels are different from what she ordered, doesn’t fit her horse and the rep brushed it off. They offered to send the saddle back and get it fixed once for free, but then said she would have to pay to have it done.

I have a friend who was promised her saddle by x-mas. It came on time but made wrong. A whole size too small. Still waiting for it to be fixed. So much for x-mas.

1 Like

$9000 and there’s a very high likilihood that you won’t get what you ordered/needed and will have to chase them and get treated like crap to try to get it. I can see paying $$$$ for something truly custom and total white glove treatment but that’s not what history says you’re likely to get here.

5 Likes

It is all online when you order, FYI. Mine did not come with a “receipt”, I forget what paperwork but I received email notifications and can look up any order I have placed and the tracking online. A huge portion depends on your rep and some people just love the pile on.

1 Like

I am an eventer currently boarding at a barn sponsored by CWD. I had never ridden in a CWD but everyone at the barn loves theirs and their horses seem happy. I had a fitting last night. Right now I ride in Equipe saddles.
The rep was very nice. I rode in a classic saddle. They are quite comfortable and I felt very secure.
What I thought was odd was 2 things- and maybe every rep is different.

• He said my horse would need the shimmable mattes to have the saddles fit
  • He wanted the saddle sitting on the scapula and said it’s fine because the intergraded panels spread the shock throughout and the carbon fiber tree bends to the shoulder.

I have a very small horse and I am a tall rider so maybe that’s why the saddle was so far forward?

Thoughts?

I see a lot of social media posts made by a CWD rep near me and it worries me how often she shows the saddles sitting right up on the shoulder (to the point where the saddle shows a very obvious slant). I wonder if it’s a CWD training thing, then?

1 Like