Unlimited access >

CWD: Redo on custom saddle?

[QUOTE=amnich123;7595425]
Yes I think the saddles are that different.

I rode in my trainers CWD 2G saddle which is a 16.5 2L and it couldn’t have fit me more perfect. I could find my center of balance and ride correctly while with my saddle, I’m fighting to find and keep my position.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know a 2L flap in a G2 is the same measurements as a 3L in the original saddle.

Ah. Then it is definitely time to get the rep involved. Don’t ride in it, keep it in as good shape as possible, and I hope you get the discrepancies resolved.

If the saddles are that different, I’m not sure that it’s an issue of incorrect fitting from the rep as it is as inconsistencies between saddles. Or you just needed a different model, period.

Why not try to return this one and find a used 2G that fits you better?

Did you test ride on the same horse…? Although it wouldn’t solve your flap issues, my Antares feels totally off kilter on a different horse than my own…

If you tried exactly what you got and it fit, then it sounds more like they made the saddle wrong than that they fit you wrong. I don’t really get how you could have tried the exact model and size that you got and not felt the same way about having to fight for your position in it.

hj, I think there were different horses involved. I know CWDs (and indeed most H/J saddles) are supposed to fit nearly everything both human and equine, but in my experience different horses can make a huge difference in rider fit.

If you’re not happy, the rep should do what she can to make it right for you. Otherwise, why would you buy a $$$ new saddle instead of throwing a dart and picking any random used one?! The customer service and fitting was part of what you paid for.

[QUOTE=french fry;7595461]
hj, I think there were different horses involved. I know CWDs (and indeed most H/J saddles) are supposed to fit nearly everything both human and equine, but in my experience different horses can make a huge difference in rider fit.[/QUOTE]

That’s true, I think you’re right about that. She did get pro panels so was expecting it to fit whatever she wanted it to, but different horses make a big difference in both fit for the horse and the rider. In that case, it seems like OP may not want to make big decisions about her saddle until she figures out what she’s going to be riding.

[QUOTE=hj0519;7595468]
That’s true, I think you’re right about that. She did get pro panels so was expecting it to fit whatever she wanted it to, but different horses make a big difference in both fit for the horse and the rider. In that case, it seems like OP may not want to make big decisions about her saddle until she figures out what she’s going to be riding.[/QUOTE]

I would not expect different horses to make her think she needs a different seat size though. If this saddle is so acutely sensitive that changing horses means you need to go up/down a seat-- seems like the rep should have mentioned that?!

Would you trainer be willing to trade the saddle. +- cash. Trainers are usually more aware of who would need a saddle than you are. Ask your trainer if someone in the barn has outgrown there 16.5. And see if you can trade

Otherwise send it back if you dislike it and it is throwing off your equitation. Start cruising eBay, and the saddle resellers. Otherwise you will be waiting however long for a new saddle to be made, and shipped. Do not do not do not get something that’s more than one deviation outside of the normal in regards to horse fit if you do not own that horse.

[QUOTE=vxf111;7595475]
I would not expect different horses to make her think she needs a different seat size though. If this saddle is so acutely sensitive that changing horses means you need to go up/down a seat-- seems like the rep should have mentioned that?![/QUOTE]

Good point…I also wouldn’t expect a seat size to change because of the horse. I don’t really understand why she didn’t feel like she was swimming in the seat of the trial saddle if it was really the same size as the one she got it.

[QUOTE=vxf111;7595475]
I would not expect different horses to make her think she needs a different seat size though. If this saddle is so acutely sensitive that changing horses means you need to go up/down a seat-- seems like the rep should have mentioned that?![/QUOTE]

I don’t think it’s that, per se. It sounds like the saddle probably never fit her perfectly. It’s just that there is going to be a lot more wiggle room in the seat/flap size with a saddle that is perfectly balanced and fits a horse really well. What may have felt just fine (good, even!) may be off now that it’s sitting on different horses.

I am just spitballing here. I just know that while I am a pretty tough fit (ideally would need 16.5 seat but need 17.5 or bigger flaps) I can sit in a lot of configurations (flaps, seat size, etc.) if the saddle fits the horse a particular way. My friend who is a true 16.5 in both seat and flap did better in my 17.5 forward flap County because it fit the horse better than her 16.5.

My hypothesis is that the saddle the OP tried seemed fine and now that she’s riding in one more intensely and possibly on a variety of horses it’s becoming clear that it is in fact too big. Again, I could be totally wrong - maybe they made it wrong. That just seems unlikely to me.

[QUOTE=amnich123;7595371]
Had a couple trainers watch me ride in my recently received custom CWD saddle. All have come to conclusion that I need to go down a flap and seat size and that it’s throwing off my balance and equitation. [/QUOTE]

Unless you ordered some bizarre combination of seat & flap size, you should’ve had a demo saddle to ride in as needed, had lessons with your coach in that demo saddle, hacked in that saddle etc, etc.
If you don’t do these things, how can you determine that a saddle really fits you :confused:

Judging by the saddle, I was fitted incorrectly by my area rep. I am having her come back this Friday to re-evaluate the saddle and it’s fit for me with that one trainer.

Your rep for CWD or any other saddle company, can really only go on the feed back that you the rider provide - no rep is a magician, some are fantastic trainers/riders themselves & bring that to the table BUT it’s not really in the job description.
I’ve observed many riders insist on smaller seat sizes & completely block all rep advice to the contrary, same with flaps & even argue tree size for the horse - not saying that you did these things but the rep is there to advise the client; decisions are made by the client not the rep.

The client has a responsibility for final fit decisions for themselves, even for the horse to some degree - client is the one actually riding the horse & agreeing that horse goes better in this saddle than any other, is riding in the saddle & agreeing this is the best ever saddle for the rider …

If there is no saddle that actually fits the horse fantastically, no saddle that fits the rider fantastically, then try a lot more saddles from different companies & really educate yourself about what you like in saddles - if you believe that CWD will build you a saddle to suit, then go that route …

What can I expect her do do for me with the given situation?

Check your contract :slight_smile:
CWD is pretty straight forward about guaranteeing fit for both horse & rider - S had different concern as she did not wish to go through the re-fit process but wanted to call it a day after the saddle arrived - understandable BUT not what is agreed in that contract both parties sign.

It seems to me that the first contact with regards to a custom saddle issue would be your saddle company & your rep.
If you’ve not done so yet, talk to CWD!

[QUOTE=french fry;7595442]
Oh, that’s too bad! I’m sorry to hear that and I hope you have another horse in the works. But, while I hate to say it, isn’t that even more reason that you don’t need your own saddle right now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’m quite sad about it, but I’m sure my trainer can work her magic again to find me another horse for lease! I still need a saddle since I’ll be leasing in June.

And before we go blaming the rep, I’d like to echo alto by saying that while the rep can advise, the ultimate decision is up to the rider. At the end of the day saddle fit is very personal - some riders want or need to size up or down in seat or flap to give them the fit that feels best, even if it’s not what conventional guidelines would recommend. (See: a small but leggy rider riding in an 18 to get extra flap length, someone in a forward flap because they like their stirrups extra short, people who feel more secure in a smaller seat, etc.)

[QUOTE=amnich123;7595440]
I test rode the model I ordered and found the delivered saddle was different.[/QUOTE]

Same leather etc as well?

If the delivered saddle does not fit to standard measurements, this is an easy determination - as horse has changed for you, perhaps rep will be able to bring back the original demo saddle that you liked so much, for a direct comparison on the horse you’re now riding.

[QUOTE=hj0519;7595496]
Good point…I also wouldn’t expect a seat size to change because of the horse. I don’t really understand why she didn’t feel like she was swimming in the seat of the trial saddle if it was really the same size as the one she got it.[/QUOTE]

I think she trialed rode one thing, and then on the advice of the rep based on that trial ride-- ordered something with different specs?!

[QUOTE=french fry;7595498]
I don’t think it’s that, per se. It sounds like the saddle probably never fit her perfectly. It’s just that there is going to be a lot more wiggle room in the seat/flap size with a saddle that is perfectly balanced and fits a horse really well. What may have felt just fine (good, even!) may be off now that it’s sitting on different horses.

I am just spitballing here. I just know that while I am a pretty tough fit (ideally would need 16.5 seat but need 17.5 or bigger flaps) I can sit in a lot of configurations (flaps, seat size, etc.) if the saddle fits the horse a particular way. My friend who is a true 16.5 in both seat and flap did better in my 17.5 forward flap County because it fit the horse better than her 16.5.

My hypothesis is that the saddle the OP tried seemed fine and now that she’s riding in one more intensely and possibly on a variety of horses it’s becoming clear that it is in fact too big. Again, I could be totally wrong - maybe they made it wrong. That just seems unlikely to me.[/QUOTE]

Unless the OP was hiding from the rep that she planned to ride different horses… seems like that should have been taken into consideration in fitting the saddle.

I need a 17.5" in brand x. If I throw that saddle on a horse it doesn’t fit, sure… it feels weird-- but it doesn’t make me need a 17" . It might tip me back/forward etc… but it doesn’t change the size of my ass, thighs, femur or the length of my leg?

[QUOTE=french fry;7595498]

My hypothesis is that the saddle the OP tried seemed fine and now that she’s riding in one more intensely and possibly on a variety of horses it’s becoming clear that it is in fact too big. Again, I could be totally wrong - maybe they made it wrong. That just seems unlikely to me.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with the last paragraph. That’s what I’m finding about the saddle, its become clear that it’s too big.

[QUOTE=alto;7595511]
Same leather etc as well?

If the delivered saddle does not fit to standard measurements, this is an easy determination - as horse has changed for you, perhaps rep will be able to bring back the original demo saddle that you liked so much, for a direct comparison on the horse you’re now riding.[/QUOTE]

Different leather. Demo was full calf, custom was grain.

[QUOTE=vxf111;7595520]
Unless the OP was hiding from the rep that she planned to ride different horses… seems like that should have been taken into consideration in fitting the saddle.

I need a 17.5" in brand x. If I throw that saddle on a horse it doesn’t fit, sure… it feels weird-- but it doesn’t make me need a 17" . It might tip me back/forward etc… but it doesn’t change the size of my ass, thighs, femur or the length of my leg?[/QUOTE]

Right, but I am describing the opposite scenario - a good fit with the horse can make a not ideal rider fit seem fine. Especially if the rider only tries it once or twice and doesn’t do the most intense/technical work they’re capable of. Especially especially if the rider has been riding in a variety of borrowed saddles up to this point.

The first saddle I bought as an adult, the aforementioned County, seemed like a dream come true when I first rode in it since I had been in school saddles and my trainer’s old saddle that was a very poor fit. Now it physically hurts me to ride in it.

The rep probably should have caught some of this, sure, but when a rider quotes the specs she thinks she wants (I think she was modeling it after her trainer’s?) and is like “yep, this feels great!” they’re going to be like…ok then.