Unlimited access >

Cypress Arrow K9 Academy abuses dogs on video

I keep going over the video in my head. What chicken[poop] handlers. You want to smack around a big powerful dog like that, have the cojones to do it where the dog can retaliate. That would force them to take it down a notch.

I hope they never handle a dog ever again. Just imagine how many dogs they beat like that. It certainly was not just this one.

4 Likes

I keep thinking about it too. What could we do to make sure those effheads get sunk. The comments from their attorney were disgusting.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with them if used properly. Getting a better angle for bite work, working on cleaner outs, etc. It can be a useful tool. Of course, just like any other tool, they can be misused and create fear in a less confident dog.

I hope they’re not allowed to open right back up… or change the name of the kennel and open a new one.

2 Likes

That is not what they are typically used for, IMO. The way I’ve seen then used most is to harass a dog who isn’t catching on to the bite work well until they bite out of desperation and fear. Perhaps I’ve only seen the bad side of it tho.

No, it should never be desperation or fear. It’s actually to help with a more targeted, full mouthed bite. The table helps the handler to not have to be too concerned about where the dog is going. For the dog, it’s easier to bite the sleeve when it’s more level with them rather than coming upwards to it. It’s much easier to get a good re-grip too if they’re level. Done properly it should build confidence once the dog realizes it’s up there to bite sleeves or pillow tugs.

3 Likes

Isn’t that the way it always is? “We didn’t do nothing!” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I read an article where they insisted that the Cane Corso had to be trained that way…because he was threatening to bite one of them. The whip is flexible and does not hurt him! I think we’re I a dog, I think I would be trying to bite them too. Neither one of these women are trainers.

Susan

2 Likes

I’ve been avoiding this thread because I thought I’d seen all the bad training that was out there but jesus… who hog ties a dog front & back, beats it with a whip and thinks they’re “training” it to do anything except fight people?

6 Likes

Regarding the whip…today I was out running errands and saw a person with a large dog…looked like maybe a Great Dane cross or young Great Dane? He had the dog in a pinch collar and was carrying a dressage type whip. Oh boy, somebody seems to have planted a seed :stuck_out_tongue:.

Susan

Hopefully something other than to hit the dog. I’ve carried a crop as an extension of my arm to help with placement… or any stick actually. Dog is on my left and working on heel with a sit or down, or tighter turns, I’ll have the leash in my right hand, and the crop, stick, or something in my left on the left side of the dog. It keeps them in a line next to me without me having to reach down to keep their body from swinging out. Also for teaching back in the heel position… you can do that with the dog between you and the wall, or if you’re not near a wall, use something as an extension of your arm. Also a good deterrent for loose dogs that come running up.

5 Likes

Yep, my friend with deerhounds occasionally used a dressage whip to teach her young pups how to free stack straight but it was used like a wall … here’s a barrier for the pup to line up against. It was never used to actually hit the dog.

3 Likes