Unlimited access >

Dacaprio?

Just wondering what the opinions are of Dacaprio as a sire—anyone?? We had a darling filly at our inspection out of a TB mare, who was the high scoring filly foal and I believe her movement score was 8.4. She was so well behaved and looked like she was a real easy foal to deal with. Would like to hear other comments about his get incase I decide to use him next year.:wink:

HE’S A NICE BOY!!!:yes:

I understand he has some hunters too.:wink:

I’ve been quite impressed by most of what I’ve seen by him… I’m not much of a hunter person, but I’ve seen some very good moving Dressage foals by him.

FWIW, Dacaprio is even more beautiful in person. His head is expectional, when he was trotted in hand for us, he really sat down and got light in the front end. He’s a sweet boy too :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=talloaks;4407866]
Just wondering what the opinions are of Dacaprio as a sire—anyone?? We had a darling filly at our inspection out of a TB mare, who was the high scoring filly foal and I believe her movement score was 8.4. She was so well behaved and looked like she was a real easy foal to deal with. Would like to hear other comments about his get incase I decide to use him next year.;)[/QUOTE]

You must have seen Chuck Powers filly. She is lovely. I know of two other babies that are both out of proven hunter mares that are both equally as lovely. I had a DaCaprio gelding that I sold this winter in FL that was doing the 3ft 3 Pre-greens. He was nice in every way. I couldn’t recommend DaCaprio more highly as a hunter sire if that is what you are looking for.

clearound, how hunter-y was the dam of that gelding?

Oh no, I’m not thinking of Dacaprio as a hunter sire. maybe a dressage horse or if its turns out to be a hunter, that isn’t all bad either. The mare is Hanoverian/TB and quite beautiful in her own right. Anyone know his scores from his stallion testing?

I have an '09 Dacaprio filly. Bred to be a hunter but could go dressage. VERY sweet, friendly, and willing. She was pretty stand-offish until she was about a month old- now she’s the first to greet you out in the pasture. He definitely put a better head on my filly (the mare has an OK head but the filly’s is lovely) and gave us lots of chrome (although that could have come through the mare as she’s a Rio Grande). My filly is more compact and not the more leggy type, but the mare is also a compact build. I’ve seen a few others this year that are also gorgeous (one dressage type and one very huntery) I think they were both more leggy than my filly.
Here are photos of my girl, Dacara:
http://www.northhillfarmny.com/Dacara.html

[QUOTE=NorthHillFarm;4408218]
I have an '09 Dacaprio filly. Bred to be a hunter but could go dressage. VERY sweet, friendly, and willing. She was pretty stand-offish until she was about a month old- now she’s the first to greet you out in the pasture. He definitely put a better head on my filly (the mare has an OK head but the filly’s is lovely) and gave us lots of chrome (although that could have come through the mare as she’s a Rio Grande). My filly is more compact and not the more leggy type, but the mare is also a compact build. I’ve seen a few others this year that are also gorgeous (one dressage type and one very huntery) I think they were both more leggy than my filly.
http://www.northhillfarmny.com/Dacara.html[/QUOTE]

NorthHill… your baby is just spectacular, and precious! She may have just made my decision for me… I’ve been trying to decide who to breed my 07 Balta Czar filly to next year.

NHF - DaCara was one of the two I was thinking of. Love watching her go. She looks like she is floating on air.

[QUOTE=JB;4407978]
clearound, how hunter-y was the dam of that gelding?[/QUOTE]

My DaCaprio gelding was breed in Germany. I have no idea about the mare other than her breeding which was on his passport. Her lineage was A Jungle Prince/Argentinus which I understand to be good jumping horses.

Here are a couple of pics of him:

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/15633/2460446230055984573S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/31971/2751703880055984573S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/5552/2538895780055984573S600x600Q85.jpg

Cute! Well, we know Argentinus has given us Apiro, so that’s very helpful, thank you!

He did his test in Adelheidsdorf in 1999, and finished 13/53. Dressage was 122.00, jumping 100.30. His dressage FN ranking is 134.

What was the foal type out of the TB mare? Are there concerns about too much refinement from an already refined mare?

Really nice filly!! I love Dacaprio, such a wonderful tepmerament and even more handsome in person. He seems to refine quite a bit, but I have seen some offspring that are pretty substantial out of larger framed mares. It is nice to hear his TB crosses are turning out well!

I am also interested in him for one of my mares – if you search this forum, you will find there have been several threads on him with lots of photos.

my experience with Dacaprio

I used Dacaprio for my maiden Regazzoni mare last because he seemed very predictable in his stamp, reliably producing what I was looking for (improvement to the shoulder and hip, more refinement and “modernity,” natural engagement and athleticism, and good transmission over the back, all coupled with an amateur-friendly attitude). I was breeding for a dressage horse but thought that having the hunter option would be nice should I want to sell the offspring.

He gave me exactly what I was looking for. Aside from front legs that are – contrary to what the inspectors seemed to see – somewhat less than ideal, the resulting filly is lovely, even better than I had hoped for: very pretty with a tremendous top-line, tons of presence, and just the movement I wanted. On top of that she is super friendly and bold. My only regrets are that I have to wait three years to ride her AND that I may then feel compelled to put her into hands that can develop her better than my own (she was bred to be my riding horse).

The mare incidentally is on the heavy side of modern but a good mover herself (8s with AHS). She is very nice; the filly is much nicer.

I have two DaCaprio’s. One is out of a Wolkenstein II mare and the other is out of a His Highness mare. They are both awesome horses! The mare is my favorite horse I own. I don’t know her dam, so I can’t say how she compares but she’s very refined and beautiful and a very good mover. She can also jump the moon! She scored an 8 on technique and a 9 on ability at her MPT (and she got 8’s & 9’s on her gaits and rideability also).
The 09 filly is much prettier and more refined than her dam (who is a LARGE horse). Her canter is substantially improved over her dams.
Both these horses are the boldest, bravest, most independent horses I have ever met. I really, really like them both.

[QUOTE=ticofuzzy;4410662]
I have two DaCaprio’s. One is out of a Wolkenstein II mare and the other is out of a His Highness mare. They are both awesome horses! The mare is my favorite horse I own. I don’t know her dam, so I can’t say how she compares but she’s very refined and beautiful and a very good mover. She can also jump the moon! She scored an 8 on technique and a 9 on ability at her MPT (and she got 8’s & 9’s on her gaits and rideability also).
The 09 filly is much prettier and more refined than her dam (who is a LARGE horse). Her canter is substantially improved over her dams.
Both these horses are the boldest, bravest, most independent horses I have ever met. I really, really like them both.[/QUOTE]

Your Divine K filly looks absolutely divine and your DaCaprio mare so closely resembles my DaCaprio hunter that they could pass for twins.

I have a 2007 Oldenburg(Holsteiner X) filly out of the same TB mare. Capella got a score of 7.8 at inspection but was very butt high and bound in the shoulder at the time. Judge commented on her lovely head and said she should be aimed for the hunters. As a 2yo she is a good mover, lovely to look at, very much like her dam but better. You know how even though she’s a different color, different facial markings, she looks at me and I just see her dam in her expression.
The mare scored 103 at the Oldenburg approvals even with some pretty severe arthritis that some stopped her from moving her best - Christian loved her. Her Dacaprio filly is more stunningly beautiful and obviously a much better mover than mine - Dacaprio really put a stamp on her. He’s one I would consider breeding my filly to down the road a bit when she proves herself and the economy improves.

He is a lovely stallion. When/if I breed my mare he will be in consideration, I go back and forth on what I want… However, whenever I think I like another stallion better, I pop in the Dacaprio dvd and he gives me goosebumps all over again.

It nice seeing all your really nice Dacaprio offspring. I have seen some that I did not like (in pictures) but I think that as a rule they are nice foals.