Unlimited access >

Dancier progeny

Hi guys,

trying to get a feeler of how the Dancier progeny is going - size and temperament.

I have a 8 month old Dancier x Londonderry filly who is still very immature looking and slow developing, is this a typical Dancier thing?

Tell me about your Danciers :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=meow_meow;7163012]
Hi guys,

trying to get a feeler of how the Dancier progeny is going - size and temperament.

I have a 8 month old Dancier x Londonderry filly who is still very immature looking and slow developing, is this a typical Dancier thing?

Tell me about your Danciers :)[/QUOTE]

I would love to see pics of yours as I had wanted to breed my Londonderry mare to Dancier but I think it might be too much refinement as my girl is 16.1 and very modern. The Danciers I have seen have all been very modern in type , “ladies horses” so to speak and none were very tall either. He usually adds length of neck. Like many DeNiro offspring he seems to have a real talent for the collected work so hopefully he is passing that on.

Donella - there are some photos here http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/J_Christiansen/library/
Her mum is a SPS (Londonderry x Akzent II x Furioso II), 16.2 hands.
My filly has lovely movement, very sensitive BUT sensible. She is very immature looking compared to the other fillies her age.

How is his frozen semen?

oh she is CUTE! is the grey in those pictures her mom? looking at dancier, what a STAMP.

I don’t think she looks hugely immature. She just doesn’t look heavy bodied or like she’s going to be a big clunk.

beowulf - She is an ET foal. I will find some photos of her mum and put up! & thank you, she is lovely in mind as well. SO much spark.

rodawn - I did not breed her myself, however, I know of some who have tried a few times with no success.

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/J_Christiansen/library/SPS%20Mare - Some photos of her mum here :slight_smile:

I saw a beautiful Dancier mare at an AHS inspection a couple of years ago, I believe out of a Diamont dam. She was Elite. She had good bone and wonderful, suspended movement, and was very, very rideable; the judges commented on her nice temperament. I know she received an 8 or maybe even a 9 for her head. She was 16.1 or 16.2, and just gorgeous, I couldn’t stop staring at her. I have some pictures uploaded to Facebook.

Semen was excellent when I used it. NOTE: This was the four straw dose. Word on the street is the six straw dose isn’t as good. I’d be VERY leary of buying the six straw dose.

http://youtu.be/CUgbuswFEww

One embryo was recovered and the next breeding the semen looked identical but I think we missed the cycle. It was a double ov and I’m not sure ovulation happened when we thought it did.

Small is normal

Dancier often produces smallish. He is smallish himself…use him on big mares.

Her mother is gorgeous!! I love my Londonderry mare too!

Donella - I LOOOOVE your Londonderry mare! Is she expecting?

Having seen Dancier in Fall/12, I would agree that he is a lighter, modern, “ladies type” of mount. Saw a couple of his get in the VhW Elite Auction last fall as well and they had a very similar look to him. That said, I really liked them.

Love your mare and would agree with arlosmine - she looks light and modern!

Donella - I LOOOOVE your Londonderry mare! Is she expecting?

Thank you! No, she isn’t (though in that one conformation shot she kind of looks like she is lol), she is under saddle and actually just did her VhW mare performance test last week. She scored 8.5, 8.0,8.0, 9.0 ,9.0 for the riding test and then 7.5, 7.0 for jumping and was best Canadian mare and Best Mare in Show at Spruce Meadows last week (can’t help but brag a little hehe). I want to breed her via ET next year and actually was thinking of Dancier but Dr. Christmann thought he is too modern and small for my mare but did think D line was a great idea for her.

I actually don’t think your filly looks immature, she is just probably going to be very refined and not super tall but with such quality parents I am sure she will turn out really super!

Kyla, you should consider Diamond Hit for her.

A future option could be Dannebrog, as his sire Don Schufro offers height, but he, himself, is about 16.2. My Dannebrog filly is beautiful in type and movement, but she will land somewhere around 17hh, although there is height in her damline.

Donella - you SHOULD be bragging with a mare like her! Big congrats with the results. Do you have any video of her?

I hope she will reach at least 16.1 - time will tell. She is definitely refined compared to her mum & I can not complain about her movement.

I second Diamond Hit, vs Dancier, for you Kyla.

I don’t think Dancier will add height … but DH may not either. For performance and temperament my money is on DH.

rodawn, what’s the temperament like on your Dannebrog filly? She is so sweet looking!

I have tried twice to breed my Londonderry/Weltmeyer mare to Diamond Hit, but have not given up yet (-: My mare is 17.0 hands and longer backed and Diamond Hit seems to shorten the length of back for some reason… Just wanted to say love the Diamond Hit/Londonderry idea.