Daredevil and Super Saver to Turkey

If racing here continues to decline in popularity, we can expect to see a lot more expatriated stallions to countries where racing is a growing sport.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Palm Beach;n10528362]

But itā€™s not buying and selling horses, is it? You are stressed at work, you want your own place, and you want a better car. And all this pretending you do has to make it worse, since you probably are not tracking what you say on one thread or another. Nobody on here is living a charmed life. Itā€™s hard work, and people come and go, and horses come and go, and money comes and goes. I donā€™t think anyone in the horse business will call it anything other than blood, sweat and tears and uncountable hours in the barn and in the saddle, and usually less money coming in than going out. Most of us do it for love and loose screws, not because itā€™s hugely profitable. Even me - Miss 40% - did not win a race all year (but itā€™s not over yet and if I win one it will put me at 50% i still have hope!!!).[/QUO

Actually no. You are wrong. Many people have day jobs and breed and sell horses at home. I have my own place (25 acres thank you very much) and my own new car; but thanks for making assumptions! The horse industry isnā€™t always profitable or bubble gum and roses. Plenty of losses to be had financially. But if people didnā€™t make money in the game they couldnā€™t survive doing it. Itā€™s called business management and there is a heck of a lot more risk when your business circles around live animals.

We are still waiting for you to prove you are anything more than a trail rider in west virginia who last had contact with race horses 25 years ago when you exercised horses in a low rent district.

1 Like

Agreed. But I will also note that the real problem at hand is all of the mares being sent to only a handful of stallions. These studs, especially the ones outside of KY, never receive the chance to succeed. The gene pool gets smaller every year. Then we have to look at the types of mares they receive in their books. Did they even race? Were they hard-knocking claimers with minimal wins or were they stakes winners? Part of the reason why APā€™s first crop has been so successful is because Coolmore vetted the type of mares he was bred to. They were only the best.

The industry has proven that itā€™s not interested in supporting anything less than a gleaming KY blue-blooded pedigree and a race record to match. Case in point: why did Hoppertunity end up in PA. Why was California Chrome sold to Japan so soon? And those that do go to KY to start their careers are given a very short period of time to make it big. And we are seeing them sold-off before their offspring barely hit the track. The profit was made in the first initial books of mares, stallion sold for decent funds oversees, no risk in how his offspring perform, donā€™t end up with a dud standing in the stallion barn, farm made-out on the plus side of the financials. I cant fault them for it. But will breeders lose trust the more this becomes the norm? Those that bred to him on his last US book are the ones stuck with the devalued offspring and will struggle and often not reach a profit if they choose to sell in the sales.

Uncaptured had a pretty decent record as a race horse. he was Canadian HOTY and his dam was 2013 Broodmare of the Year CAN. but it wasnā€™t enough to get enough interest and his offspring havenā€™t lit the track on fire.

At 2: 1st Kentucky Jockey Club S.(G2,CD), Iroquois S.(G3,CD), Swynford S., Clarendon S., Vandal S.
At 3: 1st Prince of Wales S.; 2nd Spiral S.(G3,TP), Matt Winn S.(G3,CD), Wando S.; 3rd Smarty Jones S.(G3,Prx), Delta Mile S.
At 4: 3rd Gulfstream Park H.(G2,GP)

snaffle - you have painted the picture of yourself as some great racing sage whose expertise in all phases of the industry must never be questioned. I do not care about what you may be saying in other threads but you have often contradicted yourself in racing threadsā€¦ when you are not heaping contempt on everyone else and making it very clear that you and only you know everything. That is your doing - not ours. Your words - not ours. ā€œWEā€ are not ā€œstill waitingā€ā€¦

No one needs to ā€œproveā€ anything to you. I am 100% positive that I have put in more hours on breeding farms and the backside - both with TBs and Standardbreds - than you have. Can I prove it? No. Do I need to? No. But all that experience and knowledge and the love of racing I have had for decades is an intrinsic part of me and always will beā€¦ and yet you tend to sneer at any contributions made by low-lifes like me who are not owners or breeders or both.

Full disclosure - the only TB I ever owned was an OTTB gelding who was ā€œsoldā€ to me for $1. But I have bred, foaled, nurtured, nursed, soothed, cried over and cheered for many, many moreā€¦

Full disclosure - I have never owned my own property. But since I quit being a graphic artist long ago and decided to take an enormous pay cut while increasing my work hours and do horses 24/7, I have lived and worked on some amazing farms with incredible peopleā€¦ with even more incredible horses.

I get the feeling that does not meet your criteria of ā€œexpertiseā€ā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

thatā€™s great for you :encouragement: I think what you fail to realize is that is okay to have differing opinions. I donā€™t have to agree with you and you donā€™t have to agree with me. Weā€™re good. I merely posted in this thread that Honorable Dillon was sent out of America recently and I was jumped on like a pack of hounds.

I may make a living in the industry but that does not grant my opinions an automatic agreeance with how things are done. I know that the human being does not like change. But I am a firm believer that change is good and change needs to happen within the industry. Some things slowly have changed, for the better. But thereā€™s a long way to go if America expects a future for racing in the next 20-30 years.

How does the industry expect to keep fans and the candle lit here in America if you are selling off the few horses they have become attached to in the past 5 years, 37 horses and climbing have died at SA this year, a horse breaks a leg on live TV in the biggest stage of the year. I fully understand its a business decision to sell off stock; but at what point does the industry start realizing that without fans; it will continue to spiral into decline.

We keep hearing of the handfuls of stallions sold overseas every year. We keep seeing mare numbers and foal crop numbers decline. We keep seeing racing numbers decline both in attendance and in entries. So why is it? What is the plan? We keep seeing absurd prices at the sales and no limelight on the track because the industry has turned itself to revolve around the perfection of 5 seconds in the sales arena than the actual product produced on the oval.

Why is this type of decline and export of breeding stock not seen in England, Ireland, Canada like it is here? What are they doing different that we are not. All relevant questions

[quote="ā€œsnaffle1987,post:42,topic:463856ā€]

Thatā€™s not an opinion, that a snotty remark. What tracks did you used to exercise horses at?

Quid Pro Quo, I bought a new car too. Carry on.

3 Likes

Because you hinted at something nefarious - you did not ā€œmerely postā€. <<< major eye roll there

I think you fail to realize that you have a history of posting like that and condemning everything possible/whatever the flavor or topic of the day may be.
When you ask relevant questions, you are often only seeking one answer - (yours!) and not the opinions or concerns of others. You make that very clear at times.

You are the one who has repeatedly ā€œdemanded proofā€ of other posters to show their involvement in the industry when they have not agreed with you or have corrected inaccurate things you have said.

People get weary and wary of all thatā€¦

More full disclosureā€¦ my F150 is 11 years old. :lol:

3 Likes

[quote="ā€œfindeight,post:46,topic:463856ā€]

I love this, really. Oh, my MDX is a 2006ā€¦carry on :winkgrin:

1 Like

Oh please. This is what you actually said:

Honorable Dillon disappeared from NY this fall as well. Ownership wont disclose where he went.

And one person merely pointed out (quite correctly) that you werenā€™t owed an explanation. Hardly a pack a hounds.

The problem with your differing opinions is that they are so seldom based on real facts. Then you try to defend them by saying that you make a living in the industry, when it is abundantly clear that you donā€™t.

You know what? No one would actually care about your connection to the TB industry (or lack thereof) if you didnā€™t continually lecture us about things you think you know, that you donā€™t.

5 Likes

Ha ha. My BMW X5 is a 2001. I wonā€™t stop driving it until pieces start falling off of it. (Actually thatā€™s not trueā€“Iā€™ll probably just glue them back on. :lol: ) I love my car. Donā€™t need a new one.

Carry on.

2 Likes

[quote="ā€œLaurieB,post:50,topic:463856ā€]

HA!! I will SEE your 2001 BMW, and raise you both my 2006 MDX, that a TREE fell on, and I jacked the roof back up, and templated a plexiglass window for the back drivers side!! It runs like a top, and I LOVE it and I will drive it untilā€¦it quitsā€¦- PLUS, I just got my motherā€™s 1995 Toyota 4-runner with 91K miles on it. It is in MINT condition. So there! :lol::lol::lol:

And, Carry onā€¦

2 Likes

:lol: Thank you all so much for an entertaining afternoon of readingā€¦

Iā€™d like to say my minivan is old but mobility conversion dictated a new carā€¦ but 2015 Toyota Sienna that I plan on driving until I die of old age :slight_smile:

Carry onā€¦

Doesnā€™t the pack of hounds usually do the jumping? :confused: Or is that the garnishing? I forget.

2 Likes

Thanks for the afternoon giggle LOL

& not to feel left outā€¦ my hubby just took over my 2007 Chevy Trailblazer with almost 250k miles, so I could get a much needed new vehicle.
got a 2019 Jeep Renegadeā€¦ I loff it!!

1 Like

My next car will be a Challenger Hellcat (just once in my life I want a muscle car) if my dog will just stop spending my down payment at the vet! I think itā€™s his way of telling me he wants me to keep the Element.

[quote="ā€œsnaffle1987,post:42,topic:463856ā€]

Really? Well congratulations on the farm and car purchase. Pardon me for making assumptions from your post of
October 13, 2019:

ā€œBut I will admit my anxiety levels are elevated, I am losing sleep, my happiness is waning and I feel defeated all of the time. I want to buy my own place and have a decent car to drive and just be comfortable in life. But I feel like I am stuck where I am at in order to get there.ā€

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/off-topic/off-topic-aa/10506080-do-you-or-have-you-had-a-job-that-sucks-the-life-out-of-you/page2

And from May 2, 2019:

"I work for a very large corporation at one of their plants. While we are a large corporation; we have a very tight knit group at the plant and it has always been this way. I am a female and in my mid 30ā€™s. I have worked here for 15 years and have been a long term employee through many changes. ā€¦"

So again, a big congratulations on the farm ! You must be super excited. I just wonder why you are never on the Sport Horse Breeding forum if you breed, and why you have not been on the Around The Farm forum, especially with your recent purchase. Youā€™re all over the Racing forum despite not being involved; itā€™s hard to believe you have nothing to say about your own farm and your own horses.

4 Likes

Curiouser and curiouserā€¦ or maybe this is more like a bit of ā€œhoist by oneā€™s own petardā€?

More full disclosure - I live in the one bedroom apartment attached to the indoor arena and barn. Not anywhere near 25 acresā€¦ but more like 750 sq. ft.!

I do have roommates - 1 elderly, quiet border terrier and one young, hyper border terrier. So yeah. 3 of us - living the high life - in service to The Horse! :love-struck:

1 Like

That sounds like my dream house!

1 Like

It almost seems as if your posts are being written for viewing by people that are not on this forum. Are you on a facebook page or something, pretending to be ā€œin the TB industryā€?

You donā€™t make a living in the industry of racing or breeding or consigning TB horses (and no one makes a living as an owner.) This is clear, not only from your lack of knowledge about these subjects but from your own words. Yet, you continue on posting things that make no sense to people whom are familiar with these subjects. Why?

It is very difficult to enjoy life when you are disingenuous with others. It only brings stress, which you say is already a problem for you. Stress is a huge problem, for many people.:yes:

Just donā€™t do it. Itā€™s not healthy.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always wanted to live above the barn, since I was a kid!