"Dated" riders - new thread

Duffy, is that VTRider before she became a blond?!

Could it be Bold Minstrel who showed in working hunter as well as open jumper? At least I think he did.

Does anyone have any pictures of Early Light? If so, I would love to see them.

Landgate’s (imported) foundation sire was Lystra Lad, and the original (imported)broodmare was Inver Gray.

Others that I remember are
Landgate Phoebe, Landgate Honeybear, Landgate Dark Moon, Landgate Northern Spy (TB xConn), Landgate Gray Brother, Landgate Minstrel Boy, Landgate Megan.

I think Phoebe went on to be another breeder’s “main” broodmare.

Landgate started in MD (Olney maybe) (in the 60s) moved to Bedford, NY about '67, and is now in Millbrook, NY.

Mrs. Anne Frey, the owner, is one of the “inspectors” for the American Connemara group (Association? Society? I can never remember).

Circa 1966 or 1967 - we won, too! On a REAL outside course!

This is the First Prize winner of the Horsemanship Class at the Spring Valley Horse Show, 1929. (age 12 or 13).

Can you see the resemblance?

What about that attire?

I love the way you can see the smaller brush box in the background. Remember when outside courses would have three panels, one for small ponies, one for large ponies and one for horses? The jumps never had to be reset. You just went out and jumped your height.

Kryswyn, you’re kidding! The picture was taken by a local photographer in Westport, CT. I have a copy and it appeared in the COTH in a group ad the barn did. I had no idea it ever went anywhere else (you don’t still happen to have a copy of the poster, do you?)

By the way, the pony was sired by Shalbourne Pendragon (Welsh pony) out of Amber (TB polo pony) No Quarter horse in her breeding at all.

I wasn’t even looking for it, but the photo of Bold Minstral jumping as a hunter is on page 6, of the June 16, 2000 issue.
It is a solid green 2 page spread advertising the National Show Hunter Hall of Fame 2000 Inductees.
Very nice pages, shows some great oldies, including Ellie-Wood Baxter and Barbara B. Davies.

You get to see the stadium jumping phase of the 1971 National PC Rally - I had my B for about a month before Regional, qualified for the Regional Team (back in those days, the winning Club Team from Regional Rally went to National. Our Club Team went in 1972 to Va. and 1973 to OMAHA - where we won ) This rally was held on the Firestones Estate in Ohio. I also just learned to drive a truck and trailer, so my mother and I loaded this mare, and my teammates appy stallion in the trailer, and drove for 6 hours. We had a blast back then!

Do we need to think Louise Serio??

Yes yes Duffy that stance certainly does resemble Vanna!Do not apologize for the patent tops they were "de rigeur " at the time!!!Baaaaaaaby you are da tops!

Can I beg and plead for pictures on this thread? I love all of the old pictures…

The horse’s name was “Roy” This was, I believe, my great-grandmother. I’ll post a really cool picture of Roy sans rider also.

Yes it was Bold Minstrel. Loved the dapples on that horse!!

Does anyone remember Sympatico? He was pretty incredible too.

Although, knowing some of my ancestors, it certainly wouldn’t surprise me to find out that some of those ladies rode astride! gasp

Here are a couple more pictures of the now famous “Roy”.

Great picture Weatherford, which one is you??

Bold Minstrel did it all didn’t he? I wonder how Billy Haggard is doing…anyone know? Nicest kindest horseman…

still lives in NC and was paralyzed in an accident a few years ago. I haven’t seen him since I was about 12, but one of out NC’ians posted about him last year. (Search doesn’t seem to want to find the thread - sorry.)

At one show (in North Salem) my horse swerved on the last stride, and took the pony side of the fence. I was sure I had been eliminated, but apparently it didn’t show from where the judge was sitting, because I got third. I have a picture of me and him, with the ribbon, and he has his mouth open as if he is laughing.

PamM, I love Lucky Me, she’s an adorable pony. It’s hard to tell from that picture if she looks like her dam or not, though. After breeding dogs for twenty years, I find sorting through old pedigrees fascinating.

If you think that this is a long cold snowy winter ,imagine how long it would be, if this was how you got around!! This is my grandfather with one of his drivers somewhere around 1920+/-. He owned a livery stable, traded horses and was a blacksmith in a small town just north of Toronto. I still have the fur coat. It’s very warm and is still in good shape. I used to wear it to football games in university.