"Dated" riders - new thread

Have ya’ll checked out SoEasy’s auto releases over THOSE jumps??? WOW!!!

I was thinking that I have no idea about the horse, but the guy in the background sure looks like David Orlando. Then I realized Davey O would be about five then!

Duffy…is that a model T Ford in the background??

LOLOL!! Love ya!!!

speaking of “combo” shows - we have an Easter show very near by every year. Some days have draft pulls, Mule pulls, WP, saddleseat, etc. Hunters go on Saturday, but so do barrel racers and roadsters. I took JB one year for the heck of it. I was scared out of my mind that he’d take one look at the carts and just, well, LEAVE! One came zipping by us, and JB hardly blinked. In fact, he wasn’t blinking at all. He was STARING at the barrel racers going round and round those barrels - not blowing or snorting or any of that scaredy-cat stuff, but it took all my strength to turn him away from it! Maybe it’s his calling?

Here is “Roy”. The caption on the above pictures says: “Roy and his A.O.”.

We use to do that show, along with Nile at Central Park Stables, Sterling, Yakima etc…
Richard Keller use to bring horses up from California and Twinkie Nissan even would come up.
Whatever happened to Four Winds Farm that Richard Keller trained for?
I remember the year Lasma Arabians came and some other big California stable and the actor/singer Bruce Davidson was there, haha.
And the first year I showed my green horse “Bumpkin” in the Hunter Hack class which was scheduled after the Pony Chuck Wagon races. It was the wildest Hunter Hack class in history, no one looked relaxed or calm. haha
Now that I am starting over and not caring if the shows are A or B but fun, I look forward to jumping in the Bridle Trails State Park arena.

He was one of the first “real” horsemen we (my sister and I) rubbed elbows with. Caroline still teaches out at Coto; sat with her at the last GM clinic at the Oaks and we humorously mused why about a dozen clueless locals we could list weren’t there, at least being exposed to some sort of method… any method… of horsemanship. Oh well…

Yes, lauriep, the days of schooling in barn aisles! My sister (Beezer) and I rode with Bob McDonald for years and the classic time was at Indio (Date Festival era) and Bob’s barn was in the rows of palm trees. He put up his port-o-jump and felt compelled to decorate it, to sharpen up our horses before going in the ring. One time I turned back down the aisle at the canter, and Bob had pulled the aluminum foil off his sandwich and hung it on the pole! Yee-haw!

And for the racetrack display, well, at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds there used to be a big arena on the grass of the infield. My sister decides she’s going to “work off a little steam” from her AQHA gelding (17+ hands), so she traipses out to the track kind of tagging behind the last of the REAL fair track racehorses out for their morning works. A bit later, I’m tootling around, getting ready for the a.m. classes, and I hear this “thunder of hooves” and look up to see my sister and her— hunter?— breezing a furlong past the amazed racetrack people. What a sight to behold. I guess it worked as well as lungeing him

Weatherford, love the 1929 picture! What resemblance? Is that a relative?

Okay, here’s my outside course photo from 1969, Fairfield Horse Show. (Please overlook the riding style, I was 16, still on a large pony and trying to look small )

I never met Gigi, maybe I have the name wrong as I guess I thought the person who sold the mare up here was more, “professional”

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(Kudos to Naomi Blumenthal, the show manager, who does a great job there!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, at all her shows!

Jimmy Bonham was Max and Nancy Bonham’s son. Jimmy currently lives in Las Vegas and is doing course designs and other things. Max’s wife Nancy is currently in a nursing home in Camden, SC suffering from painful arthritis/osteoporosis in her back. Hopefully she will regain enough mobility to return to her home in the hunt country. Max passed away quite some time ago now.

This is me back in the summer of 1973 at Woodstock in Vermont showing one of my Aunt’s yearling Connemara ponies in hand…

I was NOT showing much and was growing like crazy. The patent leather tops on the boots were NOT a fashion statement - they were to make the boots as tall as possible (obviously NOT tall enough)!! The jacket was bought at a tag sale, but it was a lovely color - much more “in” these days than it was back then! My shirt was probably the only thing that was purchased new. I loved it. It was made of a material called Viyella - almost a silky flannely feel. LOL And I monogrammed my own choker. (Yes, I was into monograms even back then ) And note the hair do! LOLOL Oh well. The filly won everything, so who cares, right?

Sorry to disagree, VTRider, but I think it’s a horse and buggy…

Harking back to the early 80’s and Oregon State Fair. The warm up area for the H/J’s was in an area that shared a common fence with the race track. They also had the race meet going at the same time. Needless to say there were many of the ex-racehorse TB’s that stayed home from that one.

Every once in awhile they would have the length of race that required them to put the gate way back there. Interesting sensation as you are galloping your inclined-to-stop-anyway mare down to a schooling oxer and hear the clanging of the starting gate and the thunder of hooves.

And I can’t believe I lived to tell

The gated classes were a trip to watch. And the same lovely mare would have nothing to do with anything w/wheels attached to it. We, too, had some interesting clear-the-area moments.

Ah the good ol’ days. Yah right!

Umm, Duffy, where was the 2nd “Roy” picture taken? Windsor Castle? Newport Rhode Island?

Seriously, great photos. You look so cute in the ‘lads cap’ in the braiding photo.

Yes, after Bold Minstrel retired (from showjumping AND eventing, if I’m not mistaken??), Bill ?'s wife showed him A/O hunters… Had to laugh at one show (Camden, if I’m not mistaken) - on of her first shows over fences, studying the course - and that great old gelding was standing there, gave it a quick once-over with the expression “Don’t worry - I’ve got it…”
He was one of my most favorites…

I LOVE that picture!

My Dad.

We even got him foxhunting with us when I was growing up - which was pretty darned brave of him considering he had had a horrendous head injury and had terrible balance and other problems that plagued him til he died.

I still have that trophy, too.

Here is another picture of an outside course - about 1969. Not one of the good courses - have to find those somewhere!

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Jan. 06, 2001 at 11:31 AM.]

Merry, have you seen Bob recently? He’s still just like that only slightly mellower. His wife won Gold in the Dressage, so we plastered her picture all over the show grounds last year, while he was there. He was whinning he just couldn’t get away anymore, but enjoyed it immensely. It was quite an acomplishment. He’s a great horseman.

Weatherford, there is a striking resemblance!!