Unlimited access >

Day One Spectator Notes

Endurance drama aside, I thought it would be nice to gather tips and notes for those who did not attend today.

My takeaways:

• you’ll need your ticket any time you leave the stadium seating and reenter
  • security was lax today but that may not be the case as the event progresses
  • it will rain…a lot, bring a poncho or robust rain jacket
  • TIEC is decent sized so wear comfy shoes
  • NO ONE knows where to find the water refill station - it is behind the retro diner restaurant. It looks like a small pull behind trailer with pull down nozzles like in a bar
  • it is blazing hot, like dripping sweat level of hot. Wear clothes that wick and breathe
  • it is already super muddy so wear shoes that have great traction and can handle muck
  • I didn’t eat on site but the food I did see looked decent and it didn’t appear that wait times were too long
  • there are a fair amount of portapotties but I did hear reports of running low on toilet paper so it may be worth tucking some in your day bag just so you don’t get caught without
  • volunteers are working hard but have limited knowledge about schedules, locating places, etc. so try to get questions answered ahead of time using online resources
  • at least today they ran out of the sheets listing the order of go for dressage so you may want to print out your relevant lists ahead of time

Wait times at some of the restaurants were 1 3/4 - 2 hours long.

2 Likes

GraceLikeRain - all great takeaways and good advice for spectators. A few additions:
We did eat on site and got Soba Noodles from one of the food vendors. It was good - and quick, although we skipped the last dressage ride of the morning to be sure that we got served quickly. I do think that the concept of a sit-down restaurant and a large spectator event like the WEG are at odds with one-another.

We arrived at the parking area around 7:20 a.m. (dressage started at 9:00 a.m.), and caught one of the first busses to the venue. There was some confusion about the route the driver was supposed to take to the venue, but that didn’t cause a delay of any significance.

We are staying in Hendersonville (about 30 minutes away), and didn’t hit any traffic on the way in, although I don’t expect that to hold through the remainder of dressage and eventing competitions. I wore my Wellies and carried in my rain jacket and rain pants. They were great for the downpour during the lunchbreak, but then the sun came out and I roasted. Rain or not, the sun in the stands is brutal and I encourage everyone to cover up and remember the sun screen.

We had a wonderful day watching world class dressage riders and horses - so I am not complaining.:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I watched the dressage highlights on tv, and I was very surprised at all the empty seats in the stands. Is that typical for WEG? Was it like that at the Kentucky WEG?

In Kentucky I remember the dressage stands being pretty full. IIRC they were sold out for the individual final at least.

I think there is US interest that can fill the stands, but I don’t blame people for being concerned about the short timeline, logistics, the weather, or the impending hurricane… It was a tough situation to pick up the event on short notice even if all the preparations had been blessed with the luck.

I wasn’t there until the Special, but that was definitely fuller as was the freestyle for sure. You can see it in my photos. The photos where the stands look empty were taken during the run-through for the freestyle that we discovered while walking back from a reining event. Note the casual dress. I think they charge for that run-though now, but we took full advantage of being able to sit in the front row. At one point Anne Gribbons sauntered over to ask us if the volume on the music was OK.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I guess after all the discussion about the expected hundreds of thousands of spectators, I was surprised to see so many empty seats, even with the weather forecast.

Many of the folks I know that are going to WEG couldn’t get off from work for the entire week, and/or didn’t want to leave their families or farms for a full week. I was planning to come for the entire dressage session (had the dressage package ticket), but my company has multiple product launches/software releases next week, so I had to cancel my trip to get last minute fixes in caused by product managers and software developers missing their milestones (grrr).

Some friends from the barn were not able to get there for yesterday’s session due to work/family commitments, and another person may not be able to go at all due to work conflicts.

And as others have mentioned, some folks are canceling their trips due to concerns about the weather.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more folks in the stands today when various teams field their strongest riders - including Carl, Sonke, Therese, Emmelie, Kasey, Daniel, Charlotte, Isabel, Patrick, Edward, and Laura.

Friend of mine was planning to be there, but she had to go pick up family that needed to evacuate, and now she is concerned about being able to purchase gas, that a lot of stations along the various routes were closed or out due to so many people moving inland.

If she doesn’t know about it, the ap Gas Buddy shows if stations don’t have gas.

I volunteered yesterday and confirm the above.

• It was super hot and humid so if you aren't from the south be well aware that you're going to be sweaty and gross
  • The indoor arena has no fans/airflow at all so it's worse than being in direct sun
  • Volunteers have basically the same information you do so unless we are working at information desks, we aren't helpful as we'd like to be.
  • Volunteers with blue shirts and ORANGE hats are higher up and know what's going on
  • It is already quite muddy, I saw trucks moving sand/dirt around late last night so hopefully it will be managed at TIEC
  • The parking lot I was in (volunteer parking) was grass and I imagine by the end of the day it will be a mud pit. So if you have a 4WD vehicle at your disposal, I'd recommend driving it
  • Traffic on HWY 14 and 26 was not bad at all for me but I arrived at 3pm and left at 9pm
2 Likes

For the people who are attending - what are the lines to get in like? I am thinking of bringing a small backpack or similar. How long is it taking to have a non-clear backpack searched?

My daughter is assisting the vaulting demo in the vendor area (along with others) and needs to bring her individual uni plus vaulting shoes, etc. (Plus the PTB have requested they turn out in full competition regalia including makeup and hair but that will be done before we come in unless it’s wet enough to need bringing along stuff for touch up.)

Come check out the vaulting demos – it’s too much fun and remember that the modern roots are cavalry training so independent seat is just the beginning, lol.

Anyway, any advice for carrying packs to bring in stuff plus (hopefully) stow some purchases?

2 Likes

I don’t think you can get a good crowd for an event like this without good local support, but I suspect it’s there. What’s the Atlanta/Charlotte dressage scene like?

New England has a huge dressage scene and I heard a lot of interest in making the (quite short) trip to Bromont. Between Atlanta and Charlotte there are a whole lot of potential attendees, especially from the Atlanta area which won’t have near the storm trouble.

We were there Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday.

Parking: Parking lot E is right off 74 on Pea Ridge Rd. That lot is also the designated lot for people who are being dropped off e.g. by Uber or your Mom/Aunt/friend with whom you are staying. You can’t park in Lot E, but there is a private lot across the street and the church and another private lot on the closest side street were also parking cars. So, you can park in one of the private lots (we paid $25 at the church for parking in a paved lot) and walk across the street and catch the shuttle. Advantages are that it’s feasible to actually walk back to your car if you need to via the new tunnel that goes under 74 (we did Tuesday night) and that the shuttle is a smaller van that you catch down the way from where the big buses pick up people to go to the general admission lot out on 9 and the wait is not horrible. Yesterday when we left, the line up for the general admission shuttle buses was long enough that it would have made me cry to have had to wait in it and the lot is so far away that you can’t possibly contemplate walking there.

Heat: It is hot. Mercilessly hot. We didn’t have tickets for covered seating for dressage and we broiled. Except for when we were getting rained on. The second time it rained, the sun was still shining so we baked under our plastic rain ponchos in the sun AND got rained on at the same time.

As someone else has already mentioned, there is no ventilation at all in the reining arena. It was fairly pleasant in the morning, but by late afternoon it was approaching oven temperatures. We were so sweaty that we joked that we were going to have to take two showers to get the stink off.

Facilities: You know, for only having 18 months to put this thing together, the folks at Tryon did a fantastic job. They deserve lots of praise. The footing in both the reining and dressage arenas looked great. The actual competition areas, i.e. where horses would be, looked good. However, you simply cannot accomplish 4-5 years worth of preparation and infrastructure development in 18 months. To say the place is unfinished is an understatement. You are literally in the middle of a construction zone. For example, the indoor arena has piles of construction material around it and the inside has, e.g., electrical cables strung up with temporary fastenings. The aspect of that with, in my opinion, the biggest potential impact given the weather forecast is that a lot of places that were clearly intended to be paved, graveled, or sodded simply aren’t. The mud is going to be epic. If they get a couple of days of hard rain, as they seem likely to get from the hurricane, you will not be able to get into or park in many of the lots. I don’t know what they’re going to do.

Eating: Just forget about trying to have a sit down meal at any kind of reasonable meal time. Just go straight to one of the food wagons that are scattered around. There are a number of food trucks/tents all the way at the end of the vendors displays (back behind the small tent vendors). Also, Mast General Store sells food and if you want a bottle of Coke, it’s half the price charged by most of the food trucks.

Vendors: Give your credit cards to a friend who can be trusted to refuse to let you buy things you don’t need. I spent the whole time drooling over and caressing the beautiful saddles/show clothing/tack. And boots, did I mention the boots in an infinite variety of styles, colors, and leathers? Sigh. I managed to restrain myself to a souvenir T-shirt, but it was hard. Good thing I was only there for one day because if I was there for a week, I might have completely lost control.

Overall: I had a great time. So many beautiful horses and talented riders. I’m really glad we went in spite of the mud and rain and sweat.

10 Likes

On Tuesday evening and Wednesday, the crowds were pretty light. We didn’t wait in line at all to get in and the bag searches were very quick. Honestly, the security people (red shirts) were the only ones that really seemed to have their shit together, although I’m sure that, as the week wears on, everyone else will catch up.

1 Like

That’s incredible that a fully enclosed indoor arena in that part of the country isn’t air conditioned, or at the very least cooled with overhead fans. :frowning:

They don’t appear to be checking clear bags at ALL.
​​​​They didn’t even look at mine. Barley poked through my friends. Several guys doing the checking. No line to speak of when we went through, which was a little later in the morning.

Saw very few lines at food trucks, and empty tables in the restaurants a little after lunch. Definitely much quicker than say Rolex.

You can park at Lot E if you are handicapped and have a tag.

Word of CAUTION. One volunteer at the parking said they were NOT letting people walk over from private parking and take the WEG shuttle. So park in those at your own risk.

Shuttle lines to seem long at “peak” times. Which is to be expected.

I also expect it to busier Fri / Sat.

Overall, as some one who has attended Rolex several times, this seems pretty smooth thus far. Lots of bathrooms, real and Porta. No wait any of the times we went. Everything is much closer too.

Oh, I’m sure that A/C and fans are in the construction plans, they just haven’t yet been installed.

That was true Tuesday evening, which was a huge cluster-f up there in Lot E. We got there in the middle of a near-riot when the shuttle driver initially refused to let people without “credentials” on the bus. There were a bunch of volunteers who had been told they could bring their families along for the opening ceremonies and the driver said the volunteers could get on if they had their “credentials,” but their kids/spouses/grannies would have to walk. That did not, as you can imagine, go over well.

However, the web site clearly says that Lot E is the designated pedestrian lot and anybody who makes their way to Lot E can ride the shuttle to and from. You don’t have to have a Lot E parking pass to ride the shuttle.

In addition, the private lot across the street is apparently some kind of cooperative venture. There is a formal crosswalk across Pea Ridge Road, complete with police officer on duty, and paved access from the private lot across the street to Lot E. We talked to the lady at the private lot when we were going back to our car Tuesday evening. She said they worked with the Tryon folks setting up the parking and access and after the fuss Tuesday night, apparently someone who knows someone important made a phone call and someone important took care of the problem.

When we rode the shuttle back to Lot E on Wednesday evening, there were no questions asked.

We stayed through the end of the dressage medal presentation today and then went to stand in line for the shuttle. The line was long and it took us 1 hour and 31 minutes from the time we got in line to when we boarded the shuttle to the parking lot. Right after we got into line, more and more people arrived so the line grew much longer behind us. Remember to pack your patience in the morning and be prepared to spend time meeting and getting to know people in line near you.