Unlimited access >

Debbie McDonald is US Team Coach again

Huh.

17 Likes

This.

9 Likes

From the article:

Debbie and Bob McDonald, her husband, declared earlier this year after their 44th wedding anniversary they had ā€œmoved onā€ after spending more than two years fighting unproven allegations of behavior almost a half-century earlier. A SafeSport arbitration was closed and led to the USEF reporting in August 2021 that Bob had been ā€œfully reinstated.ā€ A subsequent civil case in which the McDonalds were never served was dismissed.

Iā€™m glad sheā€™s back.

5 Likes

Says to self: Move along, Paint Party, just move alongā€¦

21 Likes

I feel like there is probably a good option here involving the meme with the guy looking at the girl on the street with his girlfriend right next to him. But Iā€™m not enough of a meme person to come up with it. Lol.

7 Likes

Iā€™m delighted for her and the US team but secretly a bit sad. She has been working with a few of Canadaā€™s top riders for the past little while and I was hoping perhaps we would (a) finally get a national team trainer again and (b) it would be Debbie.

3 Likes

My goodness. Do you think he could have chosen a more unflattering photo of her? :roll_eyes:

And could he have possibly made this sentence any more wordy and awkward? :roll_eyes:

The appointment comes exactly 14 months after the federation did not renew her contract after she coached the team that won an historic silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics and coaching three of the four riders on the silver medal team at the 2018 World Equestrian Games plus sharing coaching duties in Tryon with Robert Dover as he had announced his retirement.

14 Likes

I guess theyā€™ve recovered their reputation in full the McDonalds? Or am I misremembering?

2 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s the point, v sheā€™s good a good coach, but maybe has an unattractive side, too? Sort of a ā€œwarts and allā€ picture.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad she is back as team coach. She coached the only US silver medal Olympic team.

I thought she was unfairly punished for the allegations against Bob McDonald. I remember another thread in which she was horribly criticized for making a few statements in response to the civil suit. Someone said she should be sanctioned by SS just for the statements.

Bob McDonald has been fully reinstated and apparently the civil suit went nowhere.

I like the picture. Not as ā€œwarts and allā€, but to me it says ā€˜Iā€™m all business and Iā€™m not vainā€™.

4 Likes

I think the point was for Braddick to show his disapproval or dislike of her. Guessing there has been some friction between them, although I donā€™t know if it is because of the SS issue or for some other reason. Maybe she turned him down for an interview or otherwise didnā€™t acquiesce to some request or wish of his, or myriad other reasons. Dunno, but his decision to use that particular photo of her speaks volumes about their relationship.

9 Likes

Many times over the years, his writing has made me cringe. And to be fair, my own writing makes me sometimes cringe, too, which is why itā€™s always good to have a proofreader for important pieces of work. Dressage News (among a few other online publications) could use a good proofreader and/or editor. Or, at the very least, a subscription to Grammarly.

14 Likes

Many times? His writing style is always cringe-worthy.

8 Likes

I had the same thought.

2 Likes

Yes and No, I guess. It depends on how you look at it, but since nothing ultimately happened with the investigation and lawsuit, beyond short-term consequences, they are in the clear, as far as the USEF is concerned. The alleged victims abandoned the Safesport case and the one who brought the lawsuit apparently did the same, later on.

4 Likes

So there was no there there, 'eh?

As the saying goes, ā€œNo Harm, No Foul.ā€ and neither was proven in any way that the USEF is obligated to take into account when choosing itā€™s endorsed officials, so itā€™s back to business as usual.

2 Likes

For what it is worth ā€¦

It is hard to say "nothing happenedā€™. If nothing had happened, then nothing would have happened later, either, re SS etc. We just donā€™t have visibility into the what, the gravity, the etc. & so on ā€¦ we have nothing to go on at this end.

But whatever it was, the legs went out from under it when people decided that they would not see it through. We also have no idea what their reasons were ā€“ then or now.

It is natural that people speculate about how the whole tale unrolled and unraveled. But the truth is that we donā€™t know and wonā€™t know.

So itā€™s just as well to go on as if nothing happened, I suppose, since we have nothing else to go on. Without any further embroidery on the possibilities.

5 Likes

I offered my editorial services to him quite some years ago but I never received a reply. :roll_eyes:

Funny thing is that I had used one of his 100+word sentences for an editing/revision assignment in a Tech Writing course. The instructor was like :scream: when he read the original version.

8 Likes