Unlimited access >

Dehydration/minor colic JINGLES needed

Chanter, try wetting their food down with water (whatever grain they get) and maybe putting molasses on top. We have a horse at the barn that turns his nose up at wetted hay but will eat mashy wetted concentrates. Worth a try, right? I also think the electrolytes and beet pulp are a good idea. Just keep slipping the water in him any way you can. Does he like any special drinks? Would a tinge of flavoring in the water tempt him? Gatorade? Beer? Guiness?

Chanter, you are coming across as ungrateful and terribly hard to please.
Someone opened their doors for you and all you can do is come on the BB and complain about water

This is exactly why some people were suspicious of your “problems” to begin with. And, after all you say you have been thru, I’d think hauling water to your horses would be the least of your concerns. Be glad you HAVE your horses, as some people think they are luxuries.
Chantershelper, hang in there.

1 Like

Wow, a perfect stranger gave you an opportunity to get out of a horrible situation, gave you a job and a place for you and your horses to live. But, you don’t think that is even worthy of having a little consideration and not putting her in the position of having to defend herself against thinly veiled complaints about the situation at her farm. Okey-doke.

I SINCERELY hope your horse gets better soon. I also hope that you treat chantershelper better in person than you do on this BB.

chantershelper - I hope this situation works out and you are rewarded for your kind heart and willingness to help someone out of a bad situation!

1 Like

Your helper in Texas must be a total saint

I hope all is well for you, but you might want to cut down on the drama. Crying wolf only works so many times. :yes: And, bringing private problems to a large BB is in bad taste

Jingles for your horse, I hope he gets better.

Steph

Moonriver - well put!

No offense Chanter, it appears you’ve been through some hard times but – wow – that’s all I can say. Just wow.

There you go, get pissed off and prove everyone right. That’ll show 'em. :rolleyes: It was in your presentation, Chanter. Read what chantershelper wrote. You flew off the handle. You’re out of harm’s way now, instead of blaming the fact chantershelper doesn’t own something that could rival Kentucky Horse Park, be glad you’ve got a place to stay. Seriously. Reread what you wrote in your first post.

As for the horses, have they been given anything (ie banamine)? Have you tried koolaid or anything of the sort? If this is a mild impaction colic, you might ought to consider withholding grain. Maybe some soaked beet pulp or such instead? If you search the colic threads, especially MistyBlue’s, good advice should be available there.

Jingling for the horses! And frankly, for chantershelper too!

Chanter, No banamine if dehydrated
 might ask vet about buscopan instead.
I understand your concerns.
1.can you get some electrolyte paste at the feed store? that way you are sure it gets into his system.
2. Go buy bottles of h20, add apple juice and hang in stall warm to encourage drinking. (use light colored bucket
 call me crazy but have had many horses more encouraged to drink from light colored buckets when being difficult)
3. wet down all feed including hay and try rice bran mash with mineral oil added for a couple of days till you get him thru this. Then go to the beet pulp, my concern would be the beet pulp might be too fiberous for his stomach right now.
4 force mineral oil w/ syringe as well.
Hope you get thru this sooooon!!!

Some people are just never satisfied.
Again, to chantershelper, what goes around comes around and you have really tried to be a good person here. So hang in there and know we are thinking about you as you attempt to get your own family settled as well as shut the whiner up.

Please don’t do this. Mineral oil should only be fed with food or administered through a tube by a veterinarian. If any gets into their lungs you could kill the horse. No layperson should ever administer mineral oil by mouth with a tube or syringe as the horse could injest it into the lungs.

2 Likes

I have never heard that one. I had a vet prescribe this for a colicing horse last year but that was the first time I had encountered this. And it wasn’t my vet. :wink: Thanks for that tid bit!!! I have always fed it with bran

[QUOTE=Chanter;2164553]
For those that missed my thank yous, you obviously did not read MY posts on the original thread since I have been allowed to be able to post again.

BTW, I have done EVERYTHING entirely upom my own dime, $2,400 worth it has cost me to move here in my back wages recieved. I am now down to $200 & having no choice but to accept blankets. ANd this last $200 to my name shall be spent upon the vet if need be! [/QUOTE]

FYI- you are not owed anything by anyone. You are not “allowed” internet access or the ability to post on an internet board. If I remember correctly, you were using the computer at the library before you moved, so there is no reason why you couldn’t continue to use library computers en route to Texas and now at your new location.

It seems as though many people, especially Chanter’s Helper, have gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping you. Please keep in mind that they were under no obligation to do so.

I am sorry that you were in a bad situation in Florida. But honestly, removing yourself from that situation was your problem alone. I am not sure if you are seeking sympathy for the fact that you’ve spent your own money to move to Texas; again, please remember that it was your choice to move and to keep your animals with you. I am sure that many people on these boards have dealt with bad situations of various sorts over the years and have not been offered or expected handouts.

It is too bad that you seem to perceive your new situation as less than ideal; however, it would likely be best to talk about things with Chanter’s Helper in person rather than airing your dirty laundry on a public bulletin board. Otherwise I suspect we’ll be seeing another “desperate to move!” post in a few weeks or months.

Good luck to you and your horses, Chanter, and Chanter’s Helper, I hope you receive the sincere thank you that you richly deserve.

1 Like

Chanter, No banamine if dehydrated
 might ask vet about buscopan instead.

Buscopan is NOT intended for horses with any impaction. Spasmodic and gas colics only.

My gelding seems to prefer the (not navy) blue ones to any other color
 even the neon pink ones of old (I still have one from my first horse many moons ago). It also seems that the water tastes better (and does not need to be as fresh) if it is in his “muck” (only used for H2O) tub than it does in the buckets hung inside for some odd reason. Although, we don’t use the muck tub for water in freezing weather. To add to his oddities, he will only drink warm/ hot water from a red bucket. He will not drink cold water from a red bucket.

For Chantershelper- Something wet containing Rum, Vodka, or anything 80 proof and above

not “containing”
I would suggest straight up!:lol:

“Ya’ll are turnign this into another train wreck when you do not even begin to know ALL of the facts. At least this time it shall not all purely be my word alone. Thank God for that!”

no, Chanter, you have done this all yourself. You cry victim at every opportunity you can. Some of us see through this, and are not willing to placate to your complaints. I only hope that those who bent over backwards to assist you are not so “burned” that they decline to help others in the future.

The only thing any of us on this bb have to go on are your words. So far, you seem very demanding and very unhappy with anything anyone tries to do for you. I see you as very pleasant when things go your way and very nasty when things don’t. You might want to re-evaluate how you interact with people who are GIVING you their time, effort and money.:eek:

1 Like

Well I am PISSED :mad: :sigh:
I think this posting should have been taken care of at home, something about not airing dirty laundry in Public!!!
Water throughout north america is different, people who go to shows know this. People who move know this.
To hydrate a horse is not rocket science, and hanging a bucket and buggering off to look for a vet doesn’t do the trick.
Get some water, put in a can of apple juice, try that, if that doesn’t work float pieces of apple in it, eating the apple injests water.
If that doesn’t work, get a syringe or a turkey baster, and squirt water into its mouth. Sure some gets wasted, but more gets in. do it all day and night if you have to.
Shit, I did it for 10 hours to a horse, and the stupid thing wasn’t mine.

I am sure something could have been done easily, before going off half cocked.

Talk about burning bridges

I’m really pissed, I feel sorry for Chantershelper

Even syringing epsom salts would be helpful! It tastes horrible, but it stimulates thirst and is a laxative.

I too am saddened for chantershelper. you know what though? Good things will happen for her
I believe that!

I just can’t believe this is real? I’m sorry, the scenario sounds tragic and sad and regardless of the behavior exhibited this is pitiful. People do get themselves into terrible situations and it seems to spiral into further chaos and their mentality sets in place, in a unhealthy way that does not allow them to escape from a viscious cycle like this.
However, to complain AT ALL, when Chantershelper has opened her doors to you, and you in such desperation had no choice but to go all the way from Florida to Texas
then I would think the last place you would be would be on an internet bulletin board
for any reason, much less to complain. You should be looking for a job and spending any extra time helping chantershelper and her family in their settling in to their new place that the graciously invited you into.

Now, that is if in fact this is real. I simply cannot believe this is a real situation

1 Like

I am waiting for something positive to be said by chanter here.

[QUOTE=pacificsolo;2165097]
“Ya’ll are turnign this into another train wreck when you do not even begin to know ALL of the facts. At least this time it shall not all purely be my word alone. Thank God for that!”

no, Chanter, you have done this all yourself. You cry victim at every opportunity you can. Some of us see through this, and are not willing to placate to your complaints. I only hope that those who bent over backwards to assist you are not so “burned” that they decline to help others in the future.

The only thing any of us on this bb have to go on are your words. So far, you seem very demanding and very unhappy with anything anyone tries to do for you. I see you as very pleasant when things go your way and very nasty when things don’t. You might want to re-evaluate how you interact with people who are GIVING you their time, effort and money.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Ditto to all of that. And I am not finding any of this one bit surprising. In fact, this was the kind of post I’ve expected to see, so couldn’t resist checking in.