Unlimited access >

Delete??

How do I delete this?

Here is another video of her she is pretty well represented XC wise here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur8yGZKyxIA

Why do you want to breed this mare?? If you want a “sport horse” with Percheron blood go to Canada and rescue a PMU.

I would actually go the other way on size - even with a stud that throughs big (not good for a maiden mare) you will probably end up with an unfashionable short horse - life throws us curve balls and no matter what our intentions it is good to have a youngster that is sellable in case your life changes or it doesn’t want to event. I would look at nice sport pony studs either GRP or Connemara to get a nice large pony - if you can ride 14.3, 14.1 or 14.2hh is fine, and they can have plenty of scope.

What are your goals with the foal, at what level would you ideally like to compete at?

You seem to not like TBs very much, so not sure that would be a good match. What is it that you feel the Perch blood brings to the table?

Are you just trying to recreate the mare, or do you expect the foal to out-perform the mare?

I ask because if you want to keep a high % of Perch in there your choices of upper level stallions is going to be somewhat limited and the chance of the resulting foal being successful at the upper levels is going to diminish somewhat.

The best way to find that sort of stallion is to look to smaller breeders in areas where field hunting is still popular, as draft/TB crosses are still popular. Personally, that would not be my choice for this mare, but again, if you just expect the foal to do what mom has been doing, then a proven field hunter with good gaits would probably produce exactly what you want.

You might also look at Irish Sporthorse stallions or even RIDs; they are known for their easy minds, but were bred to jump. Check out Denny Emerson’s site…he usually has some stallions there.

Last idea would be to look at TBs or WB stallions with proven ammie minds that have been successful in eventing and/or producing eventers, like A Fine Romance or Tzigane Pb.

And go on the Eventing Board and ask; I would simply urge you to not get hung up on the “perch” thing and instead just look for good minds. Perch’s aren’t the only ones to bring that to the table…

Oh…and don’t think that height always limits jumping ability. I’ve seen 14.2hh Arabs clear 4+ft fences. And I’ll always remember “Teddy the Pony”…he kicked butt at the Pan Am Games…and he was, what? 14.1 or something?

I think if you truly want an UL prospect, look to sires like A Fine Romance. Riverman can be a good choice if your mare has an exceptional temperament or you don’t mind a possible harder ride. You can also look at USEF leading event sires for ideas

I also suggest looking at an Irish stallion if you like the a calm temperament and proven combination for top event horses. Full Irish stallions like Bridon Beale Street and Jaunty Star are UL event horses both having done 1*. King’s Ransome and Jack of Hearts (out of WB dam, so may add even better dressage) are RIDSH options by a GP jumpers or even Flexible also a GP jumper

I bred my Connemara x TB mare (15.3 hds) to Salute the Truth, and got a stunning filly. I fully expect her to mature 16.1+ (she’s 15.1 now as a yearling) . He consistently throws height. My filly is correct, has great feet and bone, and is even tempered. He has a number of offspring running at the upper levels, several going Advanced, and many ridden by amateurs. I want to use him again. Here is my filly: http://www.fadetogreyfarm.com/mares/brambleridge_truth_or_dare#Next .

I do like the looks of Bridon Beale Street that horsetales mentioned but you might get a heavier horse than you want. I’m thinking of using him on a TB in the future.

I also have the above named filly’s dam in foal to Flexible, but you risk getting a more sensitive, professional-ride, type personality if you go that route.

Don’t knock the short ones, height does not mean that they can’t jump as well, or as high. Conformation is more often the culprit. Browse my website if you’d like, the Connemara bloodline we’re breeding has consistently produced Prelim-Adv level eventers, and we’ve recently imported three Connemara foals from Ireland that all carry the blood of top Grade A Show Jumping ponies (we’re talking ponies that compete at 1.25-1.3 meters). My event pony is a 15.1 hd Connemara halfbred; he’s running Intermediate.

I’m going to send you a PM.

After watching the video, I would pick a stallion for her that consistently throws an exceptional uphill gallop and shoulder movement. I think going with a draft (with the exception maybe being a very nice Irish Draft) you’d be fighting against that, and the front end and lack of gallop will more likely be a limiting factor than size, especially if you bring in that tendency from both sides.

I agree with the posters suggesting a very athletic Connemara

I agree with Irish Draft but would also throw out Canadian Sport Horse Cozymyn who is either 1/8 or 1/4 draft, IIRC. The guy that stands him is Doug Dean and the person is supposed to be wonderful to work with. This is a sire line that has produced several UL eventers.

Besides the usual TB recommendations, Judy Wardrope, conformation and pedigree expert, is standing Hero’s Tribute in Canada.

She looks like fun! FYI not many upper level horses have draft in them anymore. Just look atthe wonderful list Zelsnsky posted awhile ago showing the breeding of all the Burghley horses: 1st Clifton promise- (full TB )By engagement x cautious Style x Darnley
2nd Avebury ( ISH x TB) by Jumbo ( ISH ) x The Bairn ( TB) x Rusticaro ( TB)
3rd Nereo- ( TB x Hann) by Fines - ( full TB ) out of Hanno. mare
4th Parklane Nawk ( full TB) by Grovesnor x Brilliant Invader x Fox My th
5th FRH Butts Abraxxas - ( 7/8 Tb) by Heraldik out of a Tb x Hann mare
6th The Deputy - ( full TB) by Cult Hero x General Assembly x Strong Gale
7th Oloa ( TB X ?) by Anytime ( TB)
8th Calico Joe - ( full TB) by Clerkenwell x Beau Sher x Tap on Wood
9th King Bob ( TB x? ) by King of Sian ( TB)
10th De Novo News ( TB x SF) by Last News ( TB) x SF
11th Opposition Buzz ( Trak x TB) by Fleetwater Opposition (Trak) x Java Tiger ( TB)
12th Riddle Master (Hann x TB ) by Rodero ( Hann) x Legacy ( TB)
13th Happy Times ( TB x Westfalian) by Heraldik x Westf
14th Clifton Pinot ( full TB) by Wallenda x Icelandic x Sallust
15th Paulank Brockagh ( ISH) by Touchdown ( SF x TB) x 7/8 TB dam by Triggero
16th Upleadon ( Tb x ISH) by Welton Crackerjack ( 3/4 Tb) x Master Spiritus ( TB)
17th Greenlawn Sky High ( OLD X ISH) by Aldatus Z x Laughtons Flight x Sky Boy
18th Redesigned ( SF X AA) by Carnute ( SF) x Votez Bein ( AA)
19th Highland Prince ( ISH) by Highland King ( ISH) x Rimilis ( TB)
20th Let’s Dance ( ? ) by Croft Another Love x Branching out

Anything listed as ISH is basically a draft cross - Irish Draft crossed with TB. These days the Draft is usually less than 50%, and the cross may include WB blood.

I need a 16.1+ horse to come out of her as I am 5’7 and really leggy. We breed Connemaras so it was definitely considered but I need something that I can fit better on.

I have had three 1/4 percherons and just love there disposition and trainability. I do very much like TB’s just dotn want to end up with a super hot/tight horse.

It may be a bit difficult to tell what her foals will look like, as she herself doesn’t represent her breeding very accurately (based on her size). She’s a cute mare. What are your goals for a foal? That will help with recommendations. Are you set on a draft, or would you consider other breeds? Not all TBs are hot. There have been several talked about here recently who reliably throw quiet minds.

(I spot Loomis, CA in your video! :lol:)

I would like to run 3* and I would hopefully do so with this foal.

I want the foal to be an out preformed version of my mare, This foal would be a hopeful 3* horse. and my hopes is to try to keep max 1/4 Perch in the baby anything less would be fine. and I need height as I am too tall for a 14.1/14.2 pony.

I need a horse to be at least 16.1 as I am so tall my mare is 14.2 so I need something that throws bigger horses.

If a 3* is your goal…out of that mare, I think a full TB is really the only way to go. You could consider a Trak or SF a well if they have a TON of blood.

But while she is TOTALLY cute…you are taking a fairly high gamble using her as your broodmare to produce a 3* horse. (I like her a lot, she looks to be a ton of fun, but it is always hard to get height and a more scopey gallop–and as a maiden, it will be hard to know what she will bring to the table unless you know her family lines very very well).

Given that goal…Salute the Truth is not a bad choice. He is known to pass on height and very good brains. He is not a super light TB so I don’t think you need to worry about getting too light.

She needs refinement and a better gallop to be a 3* horse. The hardest thing about the ULs is the SPEED. I think many people under estimate this. Looking at her videos, she is cute but doesn’t cover the ground in the manner needed for the higher levels. This isn’t a size thing…one of the horses in our barn with the biggest ground covering gallop is only 15.1h…but he is an OTTB.

So you really need that TB gallop to come through in her.

I know this pony-she is a SUPER Pony (so is her kid)-You might look at Edgar’s Pablito—the offpring Ive seen have been VERY consistent and pretty with the attributes you’re looking for. The one hot one I know for a fact came out of an extremely difficult mare still scored in the 70s at her 2nd Level debut as well as eventing through Prelim-there are others. The one that I owned was extremely AA friendly is now competing I1 with her amateur owner–she could jump plenty too.