Unlimited access >

Denny's FB page

I’m just talking in general…young students, employees and working students wouldn’t likely know about SS. Maybe now, not then.

In regards to that article, Jenni Autry talks at length about that article on the Womens Day podcast about her on Equiratings. Definitely worth a listen and its not just the subject of that article that was up to no good. Eye opening.

2 Likes

Looking at the podcasts on EquiRatings’ site - is that this year’s Women’s Day podcast @Jealoushe? Asking as I know the EN piece ran in 2018.

Yes it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jealoushe, thank you.

Truth! There was a nasty post a few years back that was really mocking hunter riders, with terrible generalizations and stereotypes. I chimed in that I always found it helpful to observe other disciplines and to learn why and how they are different rather than to make sweeping judgments about the people, horses and the sport,and that perhaps they could do the same and learn something. That I would welcome them to a hunter show just as I would hope to be welcomed at an event. And that I would hope they would stop and ask questions rather than just show up and judge. BUT…if judging others made them feel better about themselves, then it says more about them than it does about me.

Next thing I know, I was “cancelled.” Deleted. Removed. That told me all I needed to know about his people skills, and made me wonder if he’s just one of those people who is great with horses and simply terrible with people.

14 Likes

I just listened to Jenni Autry’s entire segment and did not hear anything about the COTH article. Did I listen to the wrong part?

SCM1959

2 Likes

@SCM1959 SORRY everyone it wasnt Jenni Autry it was Leslie Wylies episode!! Quarentine brain got me!!!

2 Likes

@forfeit just want to make sure you see it was Leslie Wylies episode, I know you wanted to listen :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Jealoushe - thank you!

I worked with someone who was supposed to do a working student position with Denny. It was before I met her. She said she arrived and left within 24 hours, going to another local farm and becoming a working student there (I think Sue’s?). Every time I ever asked her why she left Denny’s, including asking directly if he had made a pass at her, she looked at the ground and said she didn’t want to talk about it. I don’t know WTF happened but it was not good.

11 Likes

@atl_hunter Same thing pretty much happened to me yesterday. To preface: I am Black, I am also a Hunter Rider who has been writing about POC visibility in Equestrian sports for a while now. I saw Denny had a post regarding POC in Equestrian sports and I made a comment about how he could use his platform to help - I was polite, I tried to push him to do the hardwork and he threatened me with a ban hammer if I didn’t shut up.

The irony of telling a POC to stay in their lane after making a BIG post about how we need to do more as an equestrian community to include people color. Regardless I screenshot the whole interaction before he deleted it. @Jealoushe can confirm, we are friends on FB.

44 Likes

@Void I am sad to hear that and I am not at all surprised. You don’t need to confirm anything to me nor should you have to. I absolutely believe you.

I don’t see him working to advance anyone but himself and it seems there are, sadly, a lot of people like him in the world. I would like to see a lot more action and a lot fewer convenient words and memes coming from industry leaders during this time - especially those who have the power and notoriety to truly lead. He could have blazed a trail and led the way, and instead, he chose to marginalize you and threaten to ban you. That tells me he still doesn’t understand the issue issue at hand. I am truly disheartened that you had to go through this AGAIN.

14 Likes

So how many people now think of Denny as being a crashing bore? because of always seeing the OPs name near the title of the thread, even if spelt differently.

1 Like

His social media pages are an echo chamber for his adoring followers - challenging him at all gets you mocked, banned or both.

I was mocked & then banned for politely disagreeing, told to “have a nice time accomplishing nothing.” :confused:

6 Likes

Reading through all of these posts, I truly don’t know what to believe or think. I’ve followed Denny on facebook, and appreciate his slow gently approach with horses, and have never seen some of the terrible things he is being accused of saying. He is a curmudgeon, yes. But I’ve never witnessed any of these other accusations. If any of these sexual assault accusations are true, I would be so terribly sad for the victims, and for the people who believe/d in Denny.

5 Likes

The thing that puzzles me about the Tamarack page is that Denny heavily criticizes current riders and the sport of eventing for putting horses at risk with certain kinds of jumps. Yet Denny consistently posts pictures of himself From “back in the day” jumping things that, today, are known to be dangerous and cause terrible horse falls. Hypocrisy at its worst.

11 Likes

@DogWithBigEars,

Not exactly. The reasons why have been debated endlessly here and on his page; but the data is pretty clear - eventing has gotten more deadly over the years, not less. Yes, so of the fences from the 60s, 70s and 80s that are pictured are crazy looking to our eye, but the fact of the matter is, there were fewer falls and fewer deaths, both in aggregate and as a percentage of competitors.

When you boil down all the opinions and theories, the reasons comes down to 1.) Change from long format to short format. Horses are less fit, conditioned differently and upper level horses are selected for qualities other than stamina. 2.) The change in the scoring formulas which lead to dressage becoming more important. Event horses used to be horses that could gallop, jump and get through the dressage; now they’re dressage horses that can gallop and jump. 3.) Related to 2.)- the move away from the TB and to the WB. 4.) The change in sport from primarily amateur to primarily professional, with the concomittant need to advance horses through the levels, have multiple riders do the conditioning and to enter multiple horses at a single competition.

So you can call Denny a hypocrite about some things, and criticize him for others, but there is no hypocrisy in calling out what’s dangerous today while posting old competition photos.

29 Likes

I used to like his Facebook page also until I got told that I was wrong for being critical of a photo he posted on the page. I don’t think he likes an opposing viewpoint unless, of course, it’s his own. I think he isn’t really anyone I would go to for training. I never heard of him in SoPines when I was there. I was pretty good friends with a gentleman who ran Mile Away Farm his whole life, he never mentioned him. So frankly I am going to put him in that bucket with all the others that disappointed me over the years…(sigh).

7 Likes

@McGurk Thank you for educating me. And for teaching me a new word! 😀

2 Likes

May or may not be relevant but, based on some of their responses in the various SafeSport threads (George Morris, Rob Gage, etc.), the OP is not exactly an advocate of SafeSport.

11 Likes