Unlimited access >

Dividing stalling costs at a show -what’s fair?

First, yes of course this is something to be discussed between trainer and myself, just trying to work out in my own mind what is fair before having the chat.

We are both going to an event in the summer, I am taking her good horse to ride in 5 days of clinics and then will show him for 2 days in a low level. She is taking a young horse for the clinic section, then will be riding the big guy in upper levels at the show.

I’m just looking at all the sign up sheets for shavings, hay, cubes etc, as well as stalling costs, part of me says that as I am using him every day I am responsible for all the costs. The cheapskate part says, well if I wasn’t going she would still have him there all week so she could show him.

This isn’t a huge issue, and as I say we will discuss, but I was just interested in others views here, while my personalities mull over the options :wink:

1 Like

In your situation I would assume that I am paying for the horse I am taking.

Is she charging a fee to use her horse for the week?

You can consider the fees for bedding and cubes and such to be the fee (or an additional fee) for the use of a great horse for a fun experience.

Have fun! Sounds like a great time.

19 Likes

If it weren’t for your trainer, you wouldn’t have a nice horse to ride… I’d offer to pay the majority of the freight, myself.

14 Likes

@trubandloki, you said it so much better than I :grinning:.

3 Likes

Well that’s a question…when this was first set up I was leasing him, so wasn’t a question, now I am just using him for lessons rather than leasing I best clarify that! Thank you another item to make sure we have a clear understanding on.

4 Likes

So? How does that change your use?

Also you don’t know that for sure, unless she tells you so.

That’s cute! Would love to hear all the different voice intonation and accents as your personalities discuss. :wink: :grin:

Whatever your best cheapskate personality has to say, the other personalities might want to consider if that’s who they want representing them all to your trainer. :wink:

The impression you leave could matter as you go forward, depending on how well you and your trainer know each other, and how long you both have worked together. And how significant of a customer you are compared with her other customers. Just some things for the personalities to noodle about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Pay it and keep trainer happy so she wants to continue to let you use said nice horse in clinics and shows. Still cheaper than owning your own. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

Clarify the trainer fees you will be charged for this. Everything from shipping to onsite coaching to their hotel and food. The show/etc fees will naturally come up as part of this conversation. It is absolutely fair to ask now, as you are looking at your budget for this rare opportunity. Think about possible ways to save - like bringing shavings with you (may not be possible or economical, but think about options for things).

Expect to pay full freight for Bram. Everything except the entry fee for your trainer’s specific classes.

Then be thrilled if your trainer offers to split any of the expenses.

This is a big deal for you. It should be a big deal for you. Don’t let your inner cheapskate get in the way.

15 Likes

I am frugal by nature. I do not think you should pay all the cost if the trainer is going to use him too.

If you were the only one showing him then I feel it is fair to foot his whole bill–but you are not.

Good idea to bring up a cost to use him ( since no longer leasing) and any trainer fees associated with showing.

I assume fuel costs are shared and you pay for your entry fees and housing etc–not hers too??

It is pretty typical to pay for a trainer’s housing fees at an away show.

12 Likes

Not if they are going to show themselves and are showing their own horses–JMPO.

3 Likes

Your answers will vary based on discipline. What discipline is this?

I was shocked by some of the things that clients are expected to pay for H/J trainers, for instance. I’m an eventer, we’re not expected to subsidize a trainer’s “show week” the same way. If a trainer was going to an event before I signed up, I would not expect I was paying for their room or food as an example.

It sounds like this arrangement is mutually beneficial for both. Yes, you get to ride a nice horse. But your trainer also benefits from you keeping her horse in work while she focuses on the young one, and taking him to clinics on your dime. That’s not free, and the trainer’s horse gets some good mileage out of that. In your position I would assume I was paying for the horse on the days he was being ridden by me at minimum.

Before you let your cheapskate personality get the worst of you, see what the trainer is expecting. Who knows - maybe she will surprise you in the good way since it sounds like she was already taking the horse and seems a reasonable sort.

5 Likes

Well she wants to ride him at 4th level for the last time this year, so he would be there. She is a clinician for some of the “camp” days, so I guess he would have been there all week.

As to the Personalities , Mrs Mean had a broad Scots accent (I’m married to one, lived there a while)

Mrs Generous believes she comes from some sort of landed gentry, speaks in a posh voice, and would love to pay for everyone.

Mrs Hopeful is just buying a lottery ticket a week and hoping.

But me, Essex Girl, thinks I just should pay all his costs, because I am using him every day, AND he’s worth it, and my trainer is more than fair about things…

25 Likes

In general, once you decide to get into horses and go to clinics and shows, Ms. Cheapskate needs to just stuff a sock in it and shut up. :slight_smile:

In your situation, I would expect to pay 100% of the horse’s expenses, a portion of my trainer’s expenses, and, since you’re no longer leasing the horse, a fee to use him for the clinic and show. Especially since, based on things you’ve posted here in the past, your trainer sounds like a good person who has gone above and beyond to help you.

I also don’t think you should assume that the horse would be there even if you weren’t going. If she was going to go by herself and take her young horse, she may well have decided not to take the older horse along.

8 Likes

Not assuming, at first i assumed that she would be taking her good horse for the whole thing, and had cast myself in support role. I was moved to tears to find that I was going to be able to ride him there.

Again, not a major issue here, we will talk it out and everything will be cool. I was just wondering what others thought, this is new territory for me, used to paying the whole lot because when I was showing my own horses I picked up the whole lot. :smile:

4 Likes

When I showed h/j I was always hit with a split of not only my trainer’s hotel room, but also for their meals. Depending on the trainer, I never knew if they were doing a Hilton or a Red Roof Inn. Or if I’d be eating frozen dinners in the motel room microwave while they were hobnobbing at 5-star restaurants. Sometimes there were… surprises.

But when I switched to (mostly) western and all-around, my trainer didn’t charge for any of her costs. Her trailer has living quarters and the hauling charge included a minimal amount for parking. When I asked about a split of her meals she looked kind of taken aback and said, “I’ve got to eat anyway. Why should I charge my clients for my food?” What a concept! :+1:

So since show fees can vary so much, what I’ve learned @KBC, is just ask upfront about the costs. But my guess is that you will have a ball and it will be a grand adventure you’ll remember forever. That is (almost) priceless.

19 Likes

This, this in great big spades…it will be a grand adventure, won’t have the chance to do anything like this again I feel, so making it happen :smile:

17 Likes

I’m sure we’ve all had this thought in showing situations, especially when looking at the price sheet :laughing: but at the end of the day, you’re the one using him for the clinic and the show, so usually the expectation (IME) is that you’re responsible for all fees.

This is sweet, but also the cynical side of me is like - what if she offered you the ride so she didn’t have to pay for anything, and could still get her last fourth level in on him? :woman_shrugging:t2: Saving money schemes can go both ways!

Overall, just talk to your trainer and come to an agreement. See if you can save money elsewhere, too, like bringing your own shavings and stuff.

2 Likes

As a baseline I think it would be reasonable to expect to pay all costs related to the horse you are riding–transportation, stabling, bedding, feed, extra meds/supplements he needs for travel, etc. On top of that, you should expect to pay your trainer for any coaching you receive. Even if your trainer is riding and showing the horse for two of the days, I think that you could consider the expenses for those days as a kind of “lease fee” for the opportunity to ride and show a lovely, well trained horse in a show.

If you were splitting the use of the horse with another customer, I think in that case you could expect them to chip in a proportionate amount, but in that case you both would probably be paying a lease fee to the trainer for the use of the horse. I get the impression the trainer is giving you access to a nearly free show lease because it offers her some flexibility that is important to her (her being able to show the horse). It seems like a pretty good deal for you, overall, unless there is something I’m missing.

Short term “show leases” are typically very expensive as it takes a lot to have a horse schooled and ready for a clinic or show. I think having access to this experience for the cost of a couple extra days of stabling/feed/bedding is a pretty nice opportunity. If your coach expected more $$ on top of that, then you would simply need to look at your personal budget and what the experience is worth to you.

Another way to look at this is if you tried to re-create a similar clinic/show lease with another trainer on an equally nice horse, how much would it cost you? I’m guessing that not only would it be hard to do, it would cost a lot more.

6 Likes

Just throwing this out there in case it is relevant to someone who reads this thread - if we are talking about a rated dressage show, the horse can only show in two consecutive levels regardless of who is riding. That means the lowest level you could show at the same show is 3rd if trainer is showing 4th.

3 Likes