Unlimited access >

Does anyone use a lip strap with their curb chain?

Now, before I get a bunch of grumps telling me that only an idiot wouldn’t use a lip strap, I’d like to say, I’ve ridden with a lot of BNTs and classical gurus. Not one of them has ever mentioned the missing lip strap on my bridle. Also, no BNT I have ever worked for used lip straps. In fact, I can only think of one person I know who does use one. When I questioned why she chose to employ it, her answer was because when she was a kid she remembered seeing people use them. She couldn’t tell me why, she just thought she should have one.
So does anyone out there still use a lip strap? And exactly why? I’ve heard people say “because it keeps the curb chain in the right place” but they said they didn’t actually use them. Honestly, I’ve never found that a properly fitting bit and chain needed any help. Should I change my ways and equip all of my doubles with lip straps?

I don’t even know what that is. So I guess, “no”, is my answer.

Nope. I see a few older riders use them occasionally, but they are very much an obscure item these days.

1 Like

Of course I use a lip strap and all my students do, too.
Nothing worse than putting on your full bridle at a show and finding out the curb chain is missing.
Yes, the lip strap’s purpose is to keep the curb chain attached to the curb bit.

9 Likes

LOL! The leather strap on this bit is the lip strap.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped…eatCurbAll.jpg

I am even older school: I have LIP CHAINS, haha. Smaller gauge chain than a curb chain, with a spring clip on each end. Just try to buy those someplace nowadays.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qU0AAO…7n/s-l1600.jpg

A lip chain or strap will keep your curb chain from getting lost if it happens to unhook itself when you’re moving the tack around. You can have your curb chain’s HOOKS more open if you rely on a lip chain or strap to hang onto the curb chain.

1 Like

I was taught that the lip strap is to keep the shanks slightly back which prevents the horse from playing with them/putting them in his mouth. The fact that it keeps the curb chain properly twisted and attached is an ancillary benefit.

I have one on one of my bridles, but haven’t bothered to get them for others.

1 Like

Yes. Less jingling.

I was always taught, by old-time riding masters, that the lip strap was to keep the horse from playing with or grabbing the curb shank. I didn’t need one for my Luso while riding him in the double. Never had a clinician tell me to get one. Like any other piece of equipment, use it if you need it…don’t if you don’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t know what one was until I went through the L program, so no, I don’t use one nor have I ever seen one “in the wild.”

The purpose of the lip chain/strap is to keep the horse from playing with the curb shanks with its lips, to keep the curb chain in place and to prevent the bit from ever inverting in the horse’s mouth.

Pelhams can/should also be used with one.

Since most riders now only use quite short shanked bits, and better linked#flatter curb chains, its purpose is no longer that required.

I’ve never used one and haven’t even seen one in years

TC3200, is a lip chain legal? I’ve never seen one! It’s beautiful! Why do you choose a chain over a strap?

I think I need one! I have lost 3 curb chains this year!

3 Likes

Yep! anything with loops for a lip strap gets a lip strap. People around here look at me weird, but a) it’s proper to use a lip strap, so really they should be using one too, and b) I find it makes a difference in my pony’s acceptance of the jingly english curb chain (we use a leather curb strap on his western bridle). I also use a lip strap on his liverpool when we drive.

I do find it seems to be easier to find brown lip straps than it is black ones, for some reason. Which is fine because all my tack is brown!

Yes, I use one because,although I pinch the chain hooks almost closed, the curb chain come off occasionally. Saves me losing the chain. Also keeps it straight. The clinician I work with seemed surprised I used one, even more that I knew how to put one on!

Now I want a lip chain! Pretty!

I use one - my horse can get the curb chain all funky if he tosses his head and he doesn’t like how much the curb chain can move when it’s loose but doesn’t like it tight.

I use them, but only to keep me from losing my curb chain.

I use a lip chain. Keeps me from losing my curb chain. EASY to clean – just run the bits under a hydrant. Lip chain doesn’t get nasty like leather does. I did have a TD object to my lip CHAIN because she interrupted it was not a lip STRAP. So when she was around I removed it. The first time I removed it at a show to please her I promptly lost my curb chain before my next class.

Here is Neue Schule’s explanation of a lip strap and how to use it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPMzIaz0Xo

2 Likes

Watching the lip strap link lead me to then watch Neue Schule YouTube videos for 30 minutes :smiley: