Unlimited access >

Doing business with JILL BURNELL? BEWARE.

Jill Burnell is my sister-in-law, andI recently had the unfortunate task of entering Jill’s home to move her 80 year old parents out of her house, into ours. I have to say, I was horrified. It was a classic case of "hoarding"and quite frankly, elder abuse.

My reasons for posting this are as follows. I know that you love your horses, and have a huge investment in them. I also know that many of you purchase semen from her. I have included a link to photos I took in her house, and of the “lab” where she prepares the semen product to send out to you.

My understanding is that anything that goes into your horses bodies should be prepared in a clean enviroment, if not a STERILE enviroment. You will see the area is cluttered with rotting food, dirty household items, and dog feces. There isn’t a clear place to step in the house where there isn’t a pile of garbage or feces. This is where she has been preparing the product for you to inseminate your beloved horses. Apparently, she has been raising chickens to sell as well, and had them in a bathroom not 20 or 25 feet from the “lab”. The bathtub had DEAD chickens in it. It just added to the horrible smell of the house, as well as potential for disease.

She let the property forclose (no loss to her, as her parents sold THEIR home to get this one with Jill) and has another property now. There are NO barns, and NO shelters of any kind for the horses. I have seen first hand how she “takes care” of these poor horses. In the winter, they are left to stand in the rain and frost and heavy winds with no protection whatsoever. Animal control has been to her place many times because of complaints by neighbors.

This woman has no compassion for animals, no scruples, and no conscience. I only hope she hasn’t sickened any of your horses thus far. As soon as I can, I will post photos of her new property.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

[QUOTE=yeskatboxxx;6506616]
Jill Burnell is my sister-in-law, andI recently had the unfortunate task of entering Jill’s home to move her 80 year old parents out of her house, into ours. I have to say, I was horrified. It was a classic case of "hoarding"and quite frankly, elder abuse.

My reasons for posting this are as follows. I know that you love your horses, and have a huge investment in them. I also know that many of you purchase semen from her. I have included a link to photos I took in her house, and of the “lab” where she prepares the semen product to send out to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51498400@N03/sets/72157631063762854/

My understanding is that anything that goes into your horses bodies should be prepared in a clean enviroment, if not a STERILE enviroment. You will see the area is cluttered with rotting food, dirty household items, and dog feces. There isn’t a clear place to step in the house where there isn’t a pile of garbage or feces. This is where she has been preparing the product for you to inseminate your beloved horses. Apparently, she has been raising chickens to sell as well, and had them in a bathroom not 20 or 25 feet from the “lab”. The bathtub had DEAD chickens in it. It just added to the horrible smell of the house, as well as potential for disease.

She let the property forclose (no loss to her, as her parents sold THEIR home to get this one with Jill) and has another property now. There are NO barns, and NO shelters of any kind for the horses. I have seen first hand how she “takes care” of these poor horses. In the winter, they are left to stand in the rain and frost and heavy winds with no protection whatsoever. Animal control has been to her place many times because of complaints by neighbors.

This woman has no compassion for animals, no scruples, and no conscience. I only hope she hasn’t sickened any of your horses thus far. As soon as I can, I will post photos of her new property.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.[/QUOTE]

Oh My!

Dear God. It is even worse than I had heard…

Her poor parents. Her poor animals.

God bless you for taking in the elderly parents and getting them out of that dump.

Wow – a house that is messier than mine! But could someone sneak in and grab the microscope & bottle of Regumate? I could use both.

As for the OP…ok, you are Jill’s SIL? So your name would be…?

COTH isn’t big on anonymous people trashing other people. (said in the interest of fairness).

Re the lab – I haven’t heard the conception results for her stallions, so it could be just fine.

I WOULD be more interested in seeing more pics of the OUTSIDE of place & the horses.

Considering the state of MY house, I won’t bust others for their housekeeping, except to state the obvious: “that is no place for an 80 yr old”.

But I’ve heard conflicting stories about the horses, I’d like to see them. The one partial horse shown doesn’t look horrible for a breeding stallion at the end of the season, or a gangly 18 mos old (or an Akhal Teke or endurance horse or race horse, etc), but it would not be what I would want to see on a mid-term broodmare.

Can you take some pics of them?

Now, let me get some popcorn and sit down. Let the Hunger Games begin…

Not surprised.

Oh My is right…how horribly sad!!! If this is the house, how are the horses cared for? Bless you for getting the parents out of that! No doubting Thomas here, I believe everything your saying!

oh my… maybe if the horse problems do not get her into trouble, the parents’ situation will…one can only hope!

Come on, even if you are not a perfect housekeeper, there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of housekeeping… to think her parents lived in that crap?

I stand by the numerous times I have said that she seems to be suffering from mental health issues, and I feel really bad. I have gone by the place, it did look like a bit of a mess and although I did not see any horses that looked in danger, I also did not see a place that looked like it was being run properly as a breeding farm.

I saw too many horses standing around on small dry lots, many in turnouts on a day that was very hot, with no shelter. There was no food available, and too much manure.

Clearly things have spiraled out of control.

Oh good god! I’m not the tidiest but I’m not dealing doses of stallion semen either. Or expecting my elderly parents to navigate that hell hole.
Provides fainting chairs for breeders

I would need direct proof that this is actually her place… like a photo of her standing in the middle of this. Otherwise, this is just heresay and empty allegations.

Whoever this house belongs to, they need psychiatric help. There is nothing normal (mentally) about allowing massive clutter, or dog feces to accumulate on the floor or not removing dead chickens immediately (for what it’s worth, chicks have a high mortality rate, so not uncommon to have some die, but they should be removed immediately and their living quarters, food and water sources should be very clean).

(for what it’s worth… I’ve only lost 2 chicks out of several hundred.)

For sure, this is the front of her house.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51498400@N03/7780749830/in/photostream

By all means, you can have my name. My name is Yvonne Sutton, and I live in Petaluma, CA. We will be taking some photos of the new place this week. I’m happy to help you in any way I can if you have no way to find her after the move. I know she writes bad checks and is a shady business person (according to posts on this and other forums), and is elusive, to say the least. Thank you for your responses. I was apprehensive about posting, but I can’t in good conscience let you all potentially hurt your horses, while getting burned at the same time.

1 Like

[QUOTE=yeskatboxxx;6506666]
By all means, you can have my name. My name is Yvonne Sutton, and I live in Petaluma, CA. We will be taking some photos of the new place this week. I’m happy to help you in any way I can if you have no way to find her after the move. I know she writes bad checks and is a shady business person (according to posts on this and other forums), and is elusive, to say the least. Thank you for your responses. I was apprehensive about posting, but I can’t in good conscience let you all potentially hurt your horses, while getting burned at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for coming forward, I for one understand that you feel you must, in all good conscience do something…thank you again Yvonne. Maybe at least this will help get some horses out of there.

I’m sorry, but that is more than “just” clutter. Unfortunately I’ve found (through a previous career as an animal welfare investigator) that once people reach the level of being okay with allowing animal feces to accumulate in human living areas that animal care is slipping in other areas soon. I hope this person does get help, as there is something seriously wrong going on here.

I wonder what her supporters will have to say about this.

Well, if you blow up this photo, I’m 100% positive it is registration papers for Apricot Hill, owned and bred by Jill Burnell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51498400@N03/7780752550/sizes/k/in/set-72157631063762854/

I know the filly was supposedly sold. Anyone missing registration papers? :no:

Underneath are a set of Dutch registration papers for a 03/20/93 foal by E’Sops Fable x A which would be the broodmare “Laws Of Nature”, owned by Jill Burnell. http://www.grayfoxfarms.com/lawsofnature.htm

I think that pretty much proves it’s Jill’s place!

Yvonne, I respect you for sharing this information. There are many of us who have been trying to wave the red flags for years and it has fallen on deaf ears. She has had a huge fan base, so her naysayers are often being accused of making those comments out of jealousy/envy. What a terrible situation for all involved! I hope her parents are fine and have found a better place to enjoy their golden years.

KYZTEKE - you posted this isn’t a place for an 80 year old woman?
Are you kidding??? This isn’a a place for anyone of any age. It’s disgusting and gross.

I often wonder if DNA testing was done on the foals she’s produced if they really were by the sire she says they are.

Yvonne - A great big THANK YOU for stepping up and posting the photos and information. This was a very brave move on your part.

I added some pics of the area where the horses were. The property that goes up the hill in the background is not Jill’s. Just the flat
rectangle dirt area. It had 30 horses at one point.