Unlimited access >

"DOUBLE JEOPARDY!" - Old Horse Show Trivia

For all of you walking encyclopedias of useless horse show trivia, this thread will give you a chance to show off your knowledge. Please make sure your answer is in the form of a question. Successful respondents with the correct answer(s) feel free to pose new questions.

1. Hugely successful bay gelding out of Cismont Manor with numerous national titles and wins indoors in the regular working division in the '70’s - owner, from the midwest, was also successful in the a/o’s and attended Sweet Briar College.

2. Ultra cute palamino with many wins in the '70’s in the a/o’s at the best A shows on the east coast, including Devon. Shown by a now R judge who still competes in the adults and a/o’s.

[This message was edited by Alex Trebek on Sep. 05, 2001 at 08:21 AM.]

I know who the Rider is, can wildly guess at the Horse, and only know it is at an indoors show (duh!).

So – Name the RIDER, HORSE, and SHOW

(I hope we never made up the rule that the poster has to know the answer).

Lord Sutler was not the only very nice hunter to become a Philadelphia Police Horse… Wee Salute and Wee Three are only two. I can’t remember others, but I know there were more.
These horses had a very nice life- they only walked around the city for a few hours a day and the officers who got the really famous ones were very proud of their horses and knew all about their records, etc.
The police horse class used to be very popular at Devon, everyone would cheer on their old favorites.
They lived in a nice stable in Fairmount Park in the city…

Secor-White Plains, NY

Dublin’s right!

Good going dublin. Interesting question, probably why the divisions disappeared…

Yikes Lord Helpus, I’m afraid the '60’s will even outdate me, but I’ll guess: Tidbit, Wenol Bechan? Think that was much later…hmmm.

Marvin V.R.: Spindletop Showdown is one. The other’s a Spindletop too, as I recall, but can’t remember the name.

I think they had Lyps still. And maybe Val. Ahhhh well, that’s a start.

Speaking of Mellow, what was the name of her cute brown hunter who immigrated with her from Tenn.?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:

Who are the trainers who you looked up to as “God” when you were a kid?

For me (dating myself once again here…) it was Gordon Wright, Emerson Burr, Wayne Carroll, VHV, GM.

Then, as riders: Dave Kelly (as a kid, he was always called “Mr. Kelly” – hard for me to call him “Dave” when I was re-introduced to him as an adult…), Gene Cunningham.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It’s funny, at the time I was too much of a little kid to be awed by the “big guns”. To me they were just Em, Rodney, Junie and George.

But now that you mention it, you’re right. Dave Kenny was always Mr. Kelly.

FAMOUS NAMES…
Who owned FOXWOOD FARM ?
Who owned FOAL RUN FARM ?
Who Owned NIMROD FARM ?
Who owned HOBBY HORSE FARM ?
Who owned LISETER HALL FARM ?

I wanna say Tad Coffin and Bally Cor. Jumping in the stadium on their 3rd day. I doan know why.
Of course I have no recollection of the 70’s. That part of the brain is dead.

Was it a US rider?

“Poochy” Gibson. Son, Jimbo.

Dana, we had a shipper in MN who would do the same thing for us! MN winters are the worst, yet all grooms were expected to ride with the horses (and sleep in the tackrooms at the multi-day shows). This fellow would do exactly the same; stop shortly after leaving the farm, put us up front and then reverse the procedure near the show. Once the bosses came up on the van in their car while we were in front; three of us quickly huddled on the floorboards so as not to be seen!

I miss the old days and no, we never gave it a second thought back then. It was all part of the fun.

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Jan. 04, 2002 at 10:41 AM.]

Would that be Scot To Do?

Play The Music - rider hint: TX, MD, VT
Romparound - rider hint: IA
Shakespeare - I decided this was too hard. So-Karen McKenzie, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. VERY good try on Abby’s part. Therefore ABBY buys the first round of fave 'brellie drink
White russians, right?
Abby, you always said my head was full of useless trivia!
Bugsy was a KEM Farm (Wachtel) horse, and went to Beacon Hill towards the end of his career. I have to confess my mind just went blank and I forgot who rode him. oops.

[This message was edited by yd on Jan. 09, 2002 at 02:04 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAD:
_The Blazer _ is on Rte. 22 in Purdys, NY (still there) off Exit 7 on Route 684 and has the best hamburgers.

No, what I am thinking of is called something like the Horse & Hound. It might might still be there and I was kind of asking a question to see if anyone knew.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, The Horse & Hound is still here in South Salem.

I’ll pass on your last one, too easy for me!

the answers are out there… sometimes it takes days for the answers…
such suspense!

Bandit was indeed Christian’s first GP horse.

Here’s one: what is the name of the horse that is the connection between Joey Darby and Ian Millar? The horse was such a favorite of Joey’s that he came to Europe to watch him compete!

Laurie

LOL I KNEW you knew that one Emmet!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nutmeg: Not so fast on that lotto ticket. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And… Walter’s other “real name” was LittleWalt

Aside to nutmeg-- I have a horse now whose physique is very close to Squatch! But very WIDE!

Mr Muskie - started by Cindy Carlson Phibbs and also shown by Pam Hamlin both from Michigan