Unlimited access >

DREAM TEAM GROOMS

Bobby Donaher split to Canada with his best friends(Cocoa) wife. That was a long time ago. Either Bruce or John-boy would probably know what he’s doing. I wonder what ever happened to his girlfriend while at Fairfield, Mary-Carey(sp.?)
Bernie’s grooms at the time were T. and D.
T. is still around.
Anyone know about Eve from Norfield?

Kara just remarried last summer. She’s living on Long Island with her son from her last marriage and her new husband. One or two of her former grand prix horses are living with Kate and Don in Litchfield. She’s doing quite well and is very happy!

Betsy is doing great! She has a baby hunter in training with Steve, ans she has Emryn Tumbleweed and Windridge Haagen-Daz from FFLD in her Pegasus program. Small world!

I was in the audience the night the streaker appeared at the Washington International. He was wearing jodphur boots in addition to the pumpkin on his head. The Chronicle reported the next week that it was Charlie Weaver and that he collected $700 or $800 from the riders who dared him to do it.

Stocking Stuffer showing and winning consistantly in the Regulars for all those years!!!The old time grooms also must have known how to keep their horses sound longer or maybe the horse shows today are just different but it seems you just don’t see the same horses sound and winning for too many years.

[This message has been edited by MB Stark (edited 02-01-2000).]

What do you mean by “Dream Team Grooms?”

Ken Kraus, you mentioned the filming of the “Horse with the Flying Tail” in your 02-01-2000 post. I have been trying to locate a video copy of this 1961 Larry Lansburgh/ George Fenneman (Disney) film without success. Can anyone come up with any info on the current availability of this film? Or how to make a request to Disney that it be made available? Does anyone remember the filming of it?

Bravo RZ!! You see Ken Kraus, you never know!
Hope it works out for both of you and best of luck!

HEY DANA, Yes it is me. Notice I didn’t include myself in the Dream Team Grooms because after florida I would leave and say I was NEVER doing this again then I would be back again by the Hampton Classic and ready to go to Florida again. EMAIL ME- DOLCEVITA1999@aol.com

Martha Bowen, where are you? Possibly Fla.?

Ben Tindley was the barn manager at Acres when Jamie was there. He was on our trip to Birmingham England for the world cup finals the year it snowed like crazy over there.
Kate Curtis married Don Madigan, he drives for WJ Barry Horse Trans. She has her own farm in Litchfield Ct. does layups, retirees, etc.

to find old threads, so went back to page 57 and lo and behold, I found this! This thread took place before I found my way back to everyone. For those who don’t know, we have had a groom’s reunion in FL the last two years, with another to take place in Feb. 2004. I have been in touch with many, but not all, of the grooms mentioned here, and many have made the reunion.

MB and Cpt. Crunch, you need to come the next time. We are also invited to have a mini-reunion at the Gold Cup next September. Maybe all the New Englanders/upper East Coasters could make a reunion there rather than FL.

As the designated organizer, I will 1) ask Erin to keep this thread alive and 2) keep you updated of our plans. If anyone knows the current whereabouts of anybody mentioned here, please email me at lpitts@hsc.edu and I’ll add it to my database! I can also provide contact info for a lot of folks that I’ve seen/talked to in the last year.

Laurie

Sticking my nose in – I don’t know any of the folks you’re talking about, but it’s fun “eavesdropping,” and it’s nice to see that there’s a nice fraternity (or is it sorority?) among the grooms. And I agree they deserve huge amounts of credit.

Tips on winning the grooms class at OxRidge-
(Sorry I can’t remember when I did, but I did judge it as well)

1. Feed the horse properly -99% of the trick
  2. Groom the horse properly -less baths! more curry comb!
  3. Keep them covered-that Florida sun burns them too - careful with long turnouts
  4. Proper worming, vaccinations, shoeing…
  5. Keep them fit.
  6. Lots of carrots, love and kisses
  7. When you get to OxRidge all you should need is a regular grooming and a quick buff of your tack.
  8. Tack up the horse correctly. You CAN’T imagine how many grooms have the tack on wrong.

I was only 16 at the time of the “streaker” incident…but for all these years I’ve thought it was Richard Zimmerman! Does anyone know the whereabouts of Joan who groomed for Cismont? Atlanta? Perhaps we need to start a thread for old horse show memorabilia - the drop bank in the Upperville hunter classic?

TequilaSun, the horses and grooms mentioned at the beginning of this thread evolved from the “Olympic Dream Teams” thread which you will find elsewhere. Just look at the list and you’ll see why this thread is called “Dream Team Grooms”.

To echo Portia, I haven’t always known exactly who’s being discussed in this thread, but it has been a lovely addition!

is a free lancer; she has been working for different people everytime I’ve seen her in the last 2 years. In FL this year, she was working for Lisa Jacquin.

It is pretty terrific that the grooms from my era still feel so close and have such a tight bond. We had a lot of fun together, worked VERY hard and lived for our horses. When we get back together now, even after 20+ years, we just fall right back into the old friendships like we never left.

I wonder if grooms from now will be able to say that in 20 years…

Laurie

He is definately the best of my generation! No one’s horses look better and go just as good as they look! He was always a great friend to me on the circuit. If I ever had a question or problem he was always there to help and not just for me but for everyone who knows him.
Last I heard Martha Bowen is working for Laura Kraut.

Well, Scoutie, I was the announcer at Washington the year they filmed the footage there, using Hugh Wiley and Nautical, and Kathy Kusner with Untouchable, then editing as Walt Disney does…don’t even remember who starred in the movie…but Walt Disney is Go.com, go network is ABC, ESPN, DISNEY etc…maybe they can help? <BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoutie:
Ken Kraus, you mentioned the filming of the “Horse with the Flying Tail” in your 02-01-2000 post. I have been trying to locate a video copy of this 1961 Larry Lansburgh/ George Fenneman (Disney) film without success. Can anyone come up with any info on the current availability of this film? Or how to make a request to Disney that it be made available? Does anyone remember the filming of it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I just read on Ken’s page that Coco had been kicked badly and had just come out of a coma. From someone who groomed for over twenty years, I hope he has insurance. In all my years grooming, I never worked for anyone that provided insurance for me. I hope all you folks out there grooming now are smarter than I was. Make sure you get health insurance, believe me, if they are playing with horses they can afford insurance for you!
Anyway, my thoughts are with Coco tonight. Ken, please keep us posted on anything you hear about how he is doing…

OK, we can’t possibly forget about Pancho Lopez can we??? I am being whisked right back to the 80’s… Does anyone know if Noel has an email address? Is Syd still at Delaware Equine? Is Denis in CA or back on the East coast now? How about Cheryl? Geez, this could be the “Where Are They Now?..Finding Long Lost Grooms” thread… Hahaha!!! This is fun!!!