Unlimited access >

DREAM TEAM GROOMS

This is a great idea!!! Come on Ken, we know you know many of these people… Lisa Baldesarri (sorry Lisa for sp?) wonderful lady and has been around for a long time…

Grooms are the people we should get down on our knees and thank, daily!

I just heard that Ben is now a vet? Is that correct? Did Cocoa or Ben marry Tinker? I am so confused!! NEIL! I need another drink!!!

Sorry, MB! I din’t see your post before my last one. You are right about Kara!

CINDY PARKER we need more info on you we (Abby and I ) can’t figure out how we know you. I worked with Dana and I didn’t even spell her last night correctly and you did. EMAIL me DOLCEVITA1999@AOL.COM

Cindy, thank you for that post, having announced that class for the last 13 year’s I’ve always wondered how they could pick the winner, to me, while there were some mistakes by grooms(tack not adjusted, something dirty, whatever) again in my opinion, there were so many wonderfully turned out animals the judges were pinning the best of the best, without much difference between them. Agree? Disagree? <BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy Parker:
[B]Tips on winning the grooms class at OxRidge-
(Sorry I can’t remember when I did, but I did judge it as well)

1. Feed the horse properly -99% of the trick
  2. Groom the horse properly -less baths! more curry comb!
  3. Keep them covered-that Florida sun burns them too - careful with long turnouts
  4. Proper worming, vaccinations, shoeing…
  5. Keep them fit.
  6. Lots of carrots, love and kisses
  7. When you get to OxRidge all you should need is a regular grooming and a quick buff of your tack.
  8. Tack up the horse correctly. You CAN’T imagine how many grooms have the tack on wrong. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read through this whole thread and didn’t realize until almost the end that it was old! LOL.

Some answers here. First Kara Lauinger was re-married, had another boy, and unfortunately is divorced the second time. Not involved with horses in any way. Santos of Norfield, now red gate farm origanilly worked in Michigan and Chicago with Juan Montano, great groom now working for Boggs Hill, saw him in Florida. What about Mindy from Acres Wild Farm? What was her husbands name?Speaking of good grooms, there are many who have now made it in the trainer ranks, and are doing very well, which ones can you remember, and do you dare tell?

Thank you Kenneth Kraus for your reply. I have tried the Disney Web site and a few Web Searches without success. If I can locate the proper personel in the right department at Disney and the film is out of print, then I may consider rallying some support to get it rereleased. If nothing else, it would be nice if the National Sporting Library or other horse show archive could keep a copy on file as part of Hugh Wiley’s history. It is harder (for me) to do a search on a film than printed literature, so it may take some time. Anyhow, I know this is off the topic, but am considering starting a thread on horse related books and film. Excuse me for being so ignorant, but how long have you been announcing? It would seem that you must have quite an inventory of annecdotes re. “recent” show jumping history. Sounds like good book material.

Ken - I think a book with your knowledge would be extremely entertaining, to say the least. I just spoke with a pony rider and mother down at Palm Beach for this first time. They had me a stitches with their stories from just this year. I had told her to keep a journal and we would at least type it up and distribute it among friends. I think people that go to the big shows as well as even non-showing horse people would enjoy it.

Anyone know whatever happened to Hambone? (dunno why I was thinking about that!!!)

Abby- Martha Bowen last seem working for Gaby Salick. 2 (3?) grey horses at indoors - one a stallion and one a mare. Poor Martha!

This is like our own private Thread. 4 of us definately worked on the road at the same time. I don’t know what happend to Mary Carey Baldwin but I sure don’t miss her dog Casper . The first year Bobbie D worked for us he knew nothing about horses and he took a horse to the jumper ring for Leslie with NO Stirrups on the saddle. Also he made a "wicked " batch of brownies that had me seeing rainbows in the hunter ring just as all the tents in Palm Beach were blowing down. I couldn’t stop laughing as I watched one of the most expensive jr horses (supernatural) go running loose and Bruce Burr Freaking out that the porto potty tipped over in front of His master piece of a Tack room . Oh those were the days!!!

[This message has been edited by MB Stark (edited 01-31-2000).]

Did you notice that this thread is when Capt. Crunch figured out who I was and since that time we have gotten together 2 times. Once at Old Salem Horse show and one time for Dinner. It was a blast and very funny that we had been posting for a while and I didn’t know who she was. I didn’t have the sense to think up an alias when I started posting on this board.

P.S. I will definately try to make the reunion this year. and I will try to coordinate with Cheryl to go as well.

OK, OK, OK!!! I’m just doing a low tech home page, and trying to actually do my real job (announcing at WEF) but I talked with MB the other day and said, yes, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!! I’m finishing up the DREAM TEAM Email poll of Towerheads, I’ve got the Hunter/Rider poll for WCHR week, but for sure this is a great thread, and i will do the poll. If someone on this thread would take up the task, i could publish the results on the page earlier…how about it posters??? No one cares more about the grooms than I do, even though Abby is still angry with me…but many barn calls are vital, as are any upcoming expected changes etc. I also, enjoy every year, the Groom’s Class at Ox Ridge where over the past 8 years have raised close to 122, 000 for grooms. The past four years, the Groom’s Class was the 2nd highest paying event, to the grand prix, at Ox Ridge. So, I’m on it one way or another…thanks for another great thread…i stop here every night. You guys are the bacvkbone of this industry, taking care of millions and millions of dollars worth of equine athelets, for what appears to me to be very low wages. Ken Kraus.

Dana’s name was in an article I kept from years ago, maybe early 1980 era. Practical Horseman (sorry to the chroncile). She was braiding. I still show it to my students. No mystery.
Nice to get answers as to where people are. It is not nice to know few are still in the grooming business. No money, no glory and nobody cares.

Wow, I’m really loving this thread…the old armory at Washington, does anyone remember the jailbreak from the prison across the street? 3 or 4 escapee’s with police following , right on thru and right on out, or when Nixon was going to attend the President’s Cup, John Ammerman had set up his electronic timers, and DISPLAY clocks. Turns out one of the clocks was directly under the spot where Nixon would sit, and the secret service on the pre visit search freaked when they saw it. J.A. says"…hey take it apart if you want…it’s just a clock…" A secret serviceman replied…“NO, YOU’LL TAKE IT APART< NOW!>>>” How about the filming of THE HORSE WITH THE FLYING TAIL??? <BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maggie:
[B]The Devon Horse Show has a photo of the WIHS streaker. I believe it is not easy accessible to the public, but I know it is there. WIHS memories-The armory!Galoubet jumping out of his skin!Junior hunter breaking leg - Rumors? Insilco! Having a horse “on the Team” was a big thing. There used to be arabians and morgans too. The Bud Hitch going upside down. The costume class was priceless. Too bad it got perverted.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Streaker was NOT a Zimmerman. I have a picture on my wall of the guy. His name was Johnathan, rode a grey horse that had been stopping all week in the juniors, and the fences were still set from the working, 4’ rode over them bareback!!! OUCH. I think David Distler lost his job over the streaking incident, guess some people thought it was less funny than others.:0

Scoutie, I’ve been announcing on and off for over 30 years! Plus some side adventures in between gigs, but a book??? ME??? Can we get rich? <BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scoutie:
Thank you Kenneth Kraus for your reply. I have tried the Disney Web site and a few Web Searches without success. If I can locate the proper personel in the right department at Disney and the film is out of print, then I may consider rallying some support to get it rereleased. If nothing else, it would be nice if the National Sporting Library or other horse show archive could keep a copy on file as part of Hugh Wiley’s history. It is harder (for me) to do a search on a film than printed literature, so it may take some time. Anyhow, I know this is off the topic, but am considering starting a thread on horse related books and film. Excuse me for being so ignorant, but how long have you been announcing? It would seem that you must have quite an inventory of annecdotes re. “recent” show jumping history. Sounds like good book material.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry - I got off the subject of this post in my previous post-just got excited about the book idea . .Good point about Health Insurance - I agree with you, Abby! As far as grooms are concerned, Clem’s the best I know.

Cheryl is in Sth. Pines, has her own small farm. I haven’t thought about Hambone in ages. Last I heard he was somewhere in Georgia, but that was years ago. He really disappeared from show life. I wonder if Caroline Clark would know where he is… Timmy Foster might also know.