Unlimited access >

Dressage attire guidelines

The distinction here is that there’s actually no wording about tasteful in relation to the boots.

There is about jackets. Possibly an oversight, but they spent a lot of time worrying about jackets and the boots were left pretty wide open.

2 Likes

Silly me does not see some of the allowed patterns in jackets as ‘tasteful’. So whose opinion of what tasteful means wins at these things?

6 Likes

In my life, tartans and paisley designs both qualify as mundane as well as tasteful. i don’t think i grok the true meaning of conservative though. I suppose i’ll have to stick to zero design in order to get-by.

I’m glad they caveat with erring on the side of the competitor when unsure. I was a little confused by the following, but legit not complaining - I’m excited to have fun - in a tasteful way, but obviously my tasteful may differ from another’s, lol.

Jackets - the tweeds - on page 16 with 4 legal, blue-ish tweeds. I feel like the bottom two are kind of similar to the NOT legal tweeds on the following slide - particularly the left and right examples, as well as the left hand blue one on page 18.

Shirts- on slide 36 - I don’t really get why 1 and 2 in particular are a challenge. I mean, I do - it’s the break in the pattern, but I would not have guessed a paisley inset that follows the lines of the shirt yoke, or the black/white/gray in a subtle color block would have been “bold”???

I also found it odd in the boot section - slide 47 - are those not allowed? They look like faux leather so??? And if the tall boot on slide 49, which I adore (Out of Africa!), is allowed, why wouldn’t the half chaps on slide 47 work? Maybe they are like winter half chaps? The quilting? And if the boots on slide 50 are allowed, I can’t fathom a TD worrying about the half chaps on 47…

But other than that, I’m hoping we get a fashion update thread to show pics of all the BEST outfits we see this show season!!!

8 Likes

They’re assuming people have taste. I see a serious lack of same every day of the week.

On slides 45 and 46, they used the word “garters” that are allowed. I think they meant gaiters.

3 Likes

No, they mean garters, those leather straps below the knee. A million years ago, you or your kid would not have been seen dead out in public without garter straps on you jodhpurs.

Or, indeed once you graduated to breeches and tall boots, garter straps on your boots.

14 Likes

I think the not-legal portion of this is that half chaps must be of smooth leather or leather-like material. Quilting, straps on the outside, suede textures, etc are all verboten and have been for quite some time, I don’t see any changes here.

1 Like

Logos do have a size limit, but they are only permitted if the rider is sponsored by the company and that leaves AAs out. The exceptions on logos is explained further in the booklet… but if I read it correctly, those tags are under review because they would fall under the “advertising logo”, not permitted for AAs. The photo of the embroidery is the same issue.

I feel like they came up with the wording before they decide what they wanted to allow, then realized that metallic Wonder Woman boots aren’t expressly forbidden and there might be people out there that consider bright orange a conservative color.

7 Likes

So, clothing can have brand names on it, but saddle pads can’t, it would seem.

OK then. Not exactly logical, but there you go…

I think I’ll stick with my plain white with navy piping this year instead of springing for the ruffle pad I also had my eye on!

Had never actually read up on half chaps as I wear boots, but if I can now wear purple front lace boots with glitter or whatever, I feel like those subdued, affordable half chaps should go unnoticed;)

6 Likes

Yeah, a subtle quilting on the half chaps is verboten, but these

are fine. Go figure.

19 Likes

I think the big change here is that half chaps and paddock boots were previously only permitted in first level and lower. I for one think this is a good change in terms of affordability/accessibility. As a wide calf person, I had a heck of a time finding a pair of tall boots that I could wear into second level and beyond without going full custom. This rule would have made life significantly easier for me.

6 Likes

Dare ya to wear those :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, I just saved $95, so I shouldn’t complain.

1 Like

I’ll make you a deal: you buy them for me and I’ll wear them. :grin:

4 Likes

I’m having difficulty determining the difference between “subtle” tweed and “illegal” tweed.

26 Likes

I second this thought!

2 Likes

Same! I find the tweed jackets in good taste and conservative - for lack of better words lol. I would be so afraid of someone saying my tweed jacket is not allowed that I would avoid them all together which is sad.
I saw on a FB dressage boot group someone with white boots! She rocked the outfit and apparently the judges loved it! I think we’re going to see a lot more lace up type boots with some lighter hues.
I will be sticking with traditional colors and my white breeches. Although I have recently bought a brown shadbelly to wear with my chestnut horse and some brown tall boots are on order! That’s stepping out of my comfort zone lol. I remember the day when I thought black patent boots were extreme! :rofl:

5 Likes

hahha alright, the search is on!

1 Like