Unlimited access >

Dressage T-Bar Calfskin Leathers

My husband has a pair of Frank Baines Tbar leathers and they are just lovely. They are super soft caflskin, easy to adjust, and well made with a strong nylon core. He got them in 2013 and has beed riding in them since then, and they look new. I have been using Mundy webbers and I like them, but they are very difficult to adjust the length.

This hasn’t been a big problem, but now my husband and I are trading off horses frequently and switching leathers or adjusting my Mundy leathers every time is difficult. Especially since we use full saddle covers. I went to buy myself a pair of Baines leathers like my husbands and found they aren’t being made any more!!!

I’m lookin for brand recommendations on a nylon core calfskin Tbar that is durable? I’ve tried the Bates and even though I’m easy on tack a hole ripped out after about 7 months of regular riding.

I appreciate the recommendations!

I have the Bates and they’ve been fine but Prestige also makes this style stirrup leather. I have regular leathers from them that are just lovely, so I would think these ones would be nice quality too.

2 Likes

Stubben Mono NT leathers :slight_smile:

Tried to edit typo in above post and accidentally trashed it…oops.

1 Like

Why do you not just get another of the Baines?

Not made anymore, according to OP

1 Like

I don’t know whether the length would be good for you, but these seem to be what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Erreplus all the way. They aren’t usually that expensive.

1 Like

I also have a pair of the Frank Baines T bar leathers. I’ve had them a long time! Mine are brow. To match my FB Elegance dressage saddle.

I had to get new ones to match a black saddle, got the Prestige and the Bates. The Prestige are nice, but on one of them I struggle with getting the bar thru the hole. I do t think it was sewn properly. Have t tried the Bates yet.

1 Like

Ideal makes nice ones.

I bought a pair of Bates just a few months ago… here they are on their website… https://batessaddles.us/products/bates-leather-webbers?variant=31024642293844

Obviously my searches were not great! Thank you everyone for the help. I figured I was missing a term. I was looking for tbar and webbers. I see single strap and mono strap are also things I should have been searching for!

@CanteringCarrot Thank you for the tip on Prestige! I’ve added it to the list
@Oberon I’m a huge Stubben fan so I’ll take a look. I had not idea they made a monostrap. The buckle setup on them looks similar to my Mundy set. Are they easy to adjust?

@sheltona01 Yeah they stopped being made in 2018. It’s a shame they are extremely nice leathers. I couldn’t even find old ones in stock anywhere.

@SillyHorse Thank you! I saw those and was a bit hesitant because I hadn’t heard of the brand, but I guess calfskin is calfskin.

@SunnyCideBay I saw these and like the Stubben it looks like a conway type buckle. Do you know if they are easy to adjust?

@Hayburner that is good to know. I wish we had a tac store local so I can test the pair before I buy. I don’t want to end up with a pair that is hard to adjust especially if we are switching horses mid ride.

1 Like

Yes, they are very easy to adjust - can do it while on the horse. I just googled the Mundy leathers, and they do look the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Stubben ones come in three different lengths. They also come in non-calfskin, so look for the NT, deluxe, or Italian leather version (I’ve seen them called different things).

1 Like

I’ve got Jeffries calf T-bars in stock in 28" black and brown and 34" black.
https://www.ejeffries.co.uk/dressage-stirrup-leather-with-t-bar-fastener-falcon-range.html

2 Likes

I didn’t even think about bugging you! I’ll grab a set when we check out that saddle for Jive so we cAn check
Them out.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll bring them! :grin:

I have a pair of the TMD ones from ebay shown above. They’re nice, and the seller was very helpful figuring out sizing.

2 Likes

Good to know. I usually have good luck on Ebay, but it can be iffy.

1 Like

It’s time for a new pair of leathers for me, so this thread is great timing. I’ve been debating getting this style, as I definitely notice the bulk of my buckle under my leg. Question, what do you do to “run up” your stirrups? I have seen where people just fold them over the saddle, but then it bends the leather flap over the bars.

1 Like

They have a spot up top you can move the t-bar to, and then run the stirrup up as normal. (that said, I jsut fold my leathers over the top of the saddle…)

1 Like