Unlimited access >

Drug use in professionals

OK, I posted a similar message on the towerheads website and it was removed because it was “too personal.” In the hunter-jumper world, there are professionals who use narcotics. It’s a much “overlooked” problem, due mainly to people like the ones that removed my original post. This is not gossip. One of these trainers was found unconcious under the bleachers of the arena. She had overdosed on heroin. That’s not an isolated problem, either. I’ve been to the parties in Gulfport, and I’ve seen what goes on. I’m just constantly amazed at the fact that people KNOW that this is a issue and don’t do anything about it- mainly because it would cast a very grim shadow over the beautiful world of the showgrounds.

This is an old thread and should have been closed before.

This discussion can continue on the new thread:

Illegal drugs

It’s OUT! Linda Allen’s 101 Exercises for Jumping co-authored by MOI!!!

I’m with you Hoopoe. But then, coming from a family that suffers from addiction, I have a very high sensitivity to detecting it, and a very, very short tolerance for it around me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ponyesq:
Just a thought on the “why” drug use may be endemic in the horse community – it seems to me that the horse show world attracts a lot of obsessive compulsive people, with addictive personalities. (I know even I, a mere pony mom, am “addicted” to horse shows, and ponies in generally, spending all of my disposable income on the little varmints and their rider, and that, almost by defnition, a hunter/equitation rider has to be be pretty obsessive to achieve.) Maybe that’s why you see so many cigarette smokers and heavy drinkers in the horse world, and why drugs seem to have taken such a strong hold. The tendency toward addiction is already there and, it appears, so are the opportunities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely! I KNOW I am obsessive-compulsive…smoke/drink, etc. Fortunately, have never had any use for the drug thing. Refused to take pain killers when I broke my ankle because made me feel too “weird”. I suppose I can thank God for that!

It is interesting to see the personality type that the horses attract…great point!

QUOTED>"“Snowbird: no offense intended, but come on. There are thousands of athletes who are under the same sort of stress who do not resort to drugs – professional NFL, NBA, Baseball, Hockey, etc”"

Don’t get me wrong I am not JUSTIFYING cocaine use among profs.(even though I have seen enough of it), but the distinction between the pro NFL, NBA, etc. plaers and horse pros is $$$$! NFL players are making millions of dollars (and still snorting coke!) many trainers, have to scrape by to pay their rent, even with a large succesful barn. Just playing devil’s advocate…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
I must brag a little about New Jersey, our equine activity law does permit us to refuse entries and the right to compete from anyone we feel in under the influence of any substance that impairs their ability. And, without the right to sue us!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snowbird, is this clause actually exercised by show managers?

I also believe that most venues in Canada share the similar right to decline entries. The reality is that few will assume the stance that the Southerns have, with respect to Eric Lamaze. He has powerful and important clients, partners, a high profile lawyer, and owners who will, if they haven’t already, intervene on his behalf. And legally speaking, following his reinstatement hearing, he does have the legal right to compete.

Perhaps I’m naive in the belief that it would be best if he voluntarily stepped aside from competition for a year, and in the interim allow sponsors, his fellow competitors, and Joe Q. Public, to forgive and forget the debacle and shame of a second positive drug test. Perhaps I am just giving him too much credit.

Firerider, I have shown at Gulfport for the past 2 years. I know the same people.
I am sure you will remember if you are from Memphis when a trainer from my hometown (Jackson) ODed on cocaine in the parking lot during a horse show last year at Germantown. She trains primarily junior riders. The cops took her away but their parents still let them train with her. She deals them. I know because I am a junior rider too. She still trains, she still does coke. Remember this 2 years ago?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelsy:
[B] I dont know any treainers who are drug dealers.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not say any trainers are drug dealers. I asked was how could a parent allow their child to spend time in the company of known drug users/dealers. If a child is around someone who is using drugs, or going places with that person, they are likely to be exposed to others involved with drug use as well. This is simply not a safe situation for anyone, but especially not for an child who may be impressed by behavior they think is cool because they are with their trainer.

[This message has been edited by jch (edited 10-29-2000).]

In my opinion, if you are over 18 you can do whatever you want, but don’t cry about the consequences!
That canadian obviously valued his drugs over his sport (you only need to be clean 1 week from coke to pass a drug test!). That is pretty sad if you ask me.
I can understand why people with drudgery jobs and bad lives might turn to drugs as an escape, but I just don’t comprehend people at the top of their game, living a life most of us dream of throwing it all away for a few minutes of high.
Professionals can do what they want, but they are fools to waste their time and money on drugs.
To any children on this board who are even thinking that drugs might be fun to try please read this part of my message and remember it:
I had a friend that used pot, LSD, and mushrooms. He was a great athlete, artisit and musician. His parents had $$$$. Basically, he was set up for a very good life. He could have traveled, been a musician, artist, etc. He did not have to worry about a dull job. Well, too much LSD and tripping, and he is now basically a homeless psycho. He thinks the aliens are after him, and basically travels from town to town in an altered state of mind. He lives out of dumpsters. And, yes, he is clean now (no $$ for drugs). Occasionally he calls collect to ask for $. He blew a $40,000 trust gambling. He is now a loser.
No, this doesn’t happen to everyone, but would you want it to happen to you? And don’t think that there aren’t any former horse people that got into drugs leading this life…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can understand why people with drudgery jobs and bad lives might turn to drugs as an
escape, but I just don’t comprehend people at the top of their game, living a life most of
us dream of throwing it all away for a few minutes of high.
Professionals can do what they want, but they are fools to waste their time and money
on drugs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What we might justify as “drudgery jobs” and bad lives may not be all that bad, just different. There are people who simply do not have aspirations and who are delighted to have a 9-5 so they get home on time, enjoy the family barbeque and just spending time with friends.

While those who have aspired may discover how lonely it is, how few friends you can have if you hop around from motel to motel, show after show, year after year. Addiction takes the place of that missing family and friends some of the time.

I think this is a symptom of what have been discussing so many times in so many ways. It’s what happens when winning is not only everything but the only thing.

The past interview on Towerheads, I think it was Peter Wilde talked about how different it was in Europe. While he tried to be diplomatically correct about the huge extravaganza horse shows which have become a catch-all for all riders at all levels with all kinds of horses he certainly made the point for the European shows. Limited entries by invitation only, and a time schedule designed to give the riders and the horses a chance to behave normally.

These “stars” of our sport are actually just as deprived of good social contact as their horses. The horses are “campaigned” to produce income for the owners. The more clients the more difficult the job to be successful. Do you really think it is easy to get off at the end of the day and try and explain to an owner why you didn’t win, why you weren’t first?

As I said before in Europe the arenas are financed by the seat holders. The show manager is their employee. Yes, in order to make sure that the best will attend they don’t charge entry fees. Their interest is in selling seats. They will bribe the best riders and the best horses to compete because it is a show. No different than when we pay entertainers to sing to us on broadway.

You see it is our perspective which has caused the drugging and abuse of both the horses and the riders. If we who are the 98% who should be buying the seats don’t let ourselves be heard, then we are culpable for the distruction of the very people and horses we want to admire.

Push the envelope back a slot, let’s not condemn but inspect and analyze the system we have permitted to be created in our name.

My daughter competed in a Jumper Derby in Canada, there was one class in the morning which had entries limited so as to time out the class for a luxurious lunch break. A buffet with music and dancing for two hours before an afternoon competition. A Show Manager can’t do that without a generous sponsor. In that case it was Coca-Cola, you can’t get a generous sponsor with out spectators.

So long as we feel that we must also compete instead of spectating it is an endless cycle of abuses of all kinds. The show managers in charge of our association have tremendous debts they need a huge income from the show just to service their loans. Sponsors might be found for the classes but not for the bills.

The way the system works now everyone is stressed, over loaded and in debt and no one is really enjoying what they do.

Too much money and not enough to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yellowhorse:
QUOTED>"
Don’t get me wrong I am not JUSTIFYING cocaine use among profs.(even though I have seen enough of it), but the distinction between the pro NFL, NBA, etc. plaers and horse pros is $$$$! NFL players are making millions of dollars (and still snorting coke!) many trainers, have to scrape by to pay their rent, even with a large succesful barn. Just playing devil’s advocate…
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These arguments are somehow taking the stand that trainers with drug problems are different than anyone else with a drug problem. Most people have stress in their lives, no matter how much money you make. I would hate to be the guy with a multi-million dollar contract who dropped a couple passes. Or the financial planner who lead his customers to a losing stock proposition, or the doctor who took out the wrong organ, or misdiagnosed a patient, or the cashier at McDonalds who just packed one of the above people the wrong lunch… Horse people are not a special case.

Why use drugs? To be cool. To fit in. Peer Pressure. Those are the reasons kids give when asked why they think people do drugs. I think that in some ways the horse show world is a little like the closed society of a school, so maybe those reasons still fit. How do we stop it? Make it cool not to use drugs. Include everyone so they fit in. Use peer pressure to influence people to do the right thing. Simplistic? I know, but if everyone really did it, it would work!!!

Allyson, I also thank you for sharing your story. You are clearly a strong young woman who has overcome tragedies many of us could never fathom, nor recover from. I applaud your strength. Debra, your compassion is heartening and I am so glad that there are coaches like you training our children.

We too have dealt with a close friend suffering through, not terribly successfully, a cocaine addiction. I think the best explanation was that the first time you take a drug you do so to quell spiritual pain, by the fourth time the drug becomes a physical need.

Also from experience, addicts are typically manipulative liars. They lie, deny, cheat, and manipulate. They also have moments of great shame, regret and clarity - which lasts until their next fix.

Having said all this, I have found it helpful to confront the addiction honestly. Our friend disappears for a couple of weeks, skips a dinner party - we confront him, calmly albeit, and ask ’ so how much did you do and how much do you want to die?’ Harsh but we’re hopeful that eventually he’ll give us the correct answers. Secondly, as much as we may want, we do not cast moral judgements. It is difficult not to feel overwhelmed by a sense of helplessness; and every time he disappears, he breaks my heart all over again. As terrible as it is, and as helpless as it makes me feel, I suspect he won’t kick his addiction until and unless he hits rock bottom. I hope.

Ideally, the governing sports bodies (the CEF in Canada nationally) will institute an awareness campaign and program to deal with the very real addictions which confront many in the sport - from the juniors through to the pro ranks. In reality, I suspect that those of us who are concerned will have to look outside the sport to publicly funded programs to deal with the issue on a case by case (or rider by rider) basis, ad hoc and piecemeal without the benefit of funds or infrastructural support. It really is a shame isn’t it when a governing body functions solely to oversee shows and adminster rules but not to truly serve those who pay the levies and are in need.

Sometimes I think the horse show world is a parallel universe in which the same moral standards the alternate must abide by do not apply. <very large sigh>

In fact, there is a very couragous young woman who was on top of the game as a junior (who I believe became a user as a junior), then got into real trouble with her addiction when she moved into the ammys. She pretty much disappeared from the scene. It took years, but with support of loving family and friends she is clean and back on top. The Chronicle ran an article on her. It was very inspiring, even to a non-drug addict like myself because I have other (slightly)less harmful addictions.

Coreene: I had the “oysters.” After putting up with on- and off-again rehab, abuse, irresponsbility and just plain being a jerk, I removed my winning hunter from a cocaine-addicted trainer over a year ago. I believe this is one of the central issues surrounding drug abuse in the professional horse world. We, as owners, seem willing to tolerate the addiction and resulting behavior if the trainer is winning on our horses. The trainer I left continues, much like Eric does, to have a barn full of customers who choose not to acknowledge the drug use. That is their right, but I, for one, refused to be a party to supporting such illegal and destructive behavior.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by creseida:
[B]Well, look at what just happened with Eric Lamaze on the Canadian Team. The bloody fool KNEW he would have to pass a whiz quiz, I mean sheesh! This is The Olympics we’re talking about. Yet, he had to (ahem) blow this wonderful opportunity because he couldn’t (ahem) keep his nose clean for 3 lousy months. He was selected for the highest honour in sports, and he ruined it for some nose candy.

Then the final coup de gras was his ultra-lame explanation; “Oh I only use it recreationally, not as a performance enhancer.” Like the drug test can differentiate between the two uses! Puh-leeze! This is his SECOND offense. Must they really allow him all three strikes before booting him out for good? [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breaking News…

According to Eric’s lawyer, Eric’s ban shouldn’t be upheld. Why? Because he tested positive for a banned substance (an herbal diet remedy) and had already recieved a lifetime ban on August 18th. The lawyer goes on to say that Eric was so distraught he participated in a “one-time only” coke binge shortly thereafter. Upon apeal (this herbal diet remedy was improperly packaged) Eric was re-instated…only to TEST POSITIVE FOR THE COKE on August 28th. The lawyer says that since Eric was already under suspension he is exempt from any drug testing results based on his being (at the time of the coke use) outside IOC drug policy.

I shake my head.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 09-14-2000).]

Sometimes all these people need is a stint in prison, but it seems like only the poor go to prison for this type of thing. My half brother, after 10 years of using coke, went to jail for possesion and theft or something, well three years later, he gets out and cleans up his act, gets away from the coke environment, not so much because of the coke, but because he didn’t want to back to jail. These trainers need to hit bottom before coming back up, but as long as the money keeps coming, they’ll never hit bottom…

I’m glad to see that a lot of you are addressing this issue rather than “ignoring” it. I’m interested in hearing frmo the other side of the proverbial fence, though. If you are a drug-using pro and you are reading this, let us know your opinion. I know it makes some of you mad to sit and read everyones remarks about your addiction. If you want to keep your anonymity, just e-mail me. I thought that I’d get some more response than just the “anti-drug” posts, and I’d like to see what you have to say.