Unlimited access >

Drug use in professionals

Debra, thanks for posting. You have so much to offer on this subject. Some people (myself included) might have been afraid that this thread would turn into name-bashing and gossip. But if people with real concern and real ideas for solutions get involved, maybe some positive outcomes can be accomplished, or at least maybe it’ll get the ball rolling in that direction.

I’m probably naive, but I don’t think any good ideas are out of reach…I think the ideas expressed on this board are seen by many eyes. Even if an idea seems too expensive, or too difficult to organize, please post it. You never know what might come of it!

Debra mentioned brochures and contact numbers for intervention/drug help programs that she’s been promoting on her local circuit. What about the AHSA affiliated shows and circuits taking steps like this? Maybe the AHSA could even offer support groups/counseling at the circuit shows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jch:
[B] I did not say any trainers are drug dealers. I asked was how could a parent allow their child to spend time in the company of known drug users/dealers. If a child is around someone who is using drugs, or going places with that person, they are likely to be exposed to others involved with drug use as well. This is simply not a safe situation for anyone, but especially not for an child who may be impressed by behavior they think is cool because they are with their trainer.

[This message has been edited by jch (edited 10-29-2000).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the confusion… I know what you mean about being impressed… my old trainer’s the reason I started smoking and a different trainer (a well known pony trainer so I won’t say their name) would give my friends and I alchohol whenever we wanted it at shows.

Well not to worry, Eric is gone. Certainly proof of how powerful the lure of drug addiction is. He knew he would be tested and he knew that because of his past offense he could be called any time, day or night. So too his horses.

I worked many years for a drug addict. I saw what it does to a life ( if you call it that)and denial by the user is the hardest thing to overcome. Chemical addiction is not as easy as the Just Say No people would have you believe.

Recent research shows that cigarrette addiction may be triggered by the first cig, not by repeated use. It is a brain /chemical issue, not a habit issue. The more we learn about the brain, the more complex these issues become.

Speaking out is vital. Tell management that you do not want to support these people. Tell management that you do not want your children in these environments. Speak with you lack of suport. In the end it is up to you to decide what is more important, going in that ring or endorseing the behavior.

In the end the AHSA is going to have to become involved. Many professional organizations (AMA, ABA etc) have departments that deal with addicted members. The AHSA is the closest thing we have to a professional organization.

There are rules on the AHSA books about “intemperance”. For those of you who do not know that means 'habitual or excessive drinking of intoxicants" Perhaps the rule needs to be enforced or modified for other forms of chemical abuse.

Kryswyn, that was Frncine Steinwedell Carver (or something similar), wasn’t it? She came back so far that she very nearly made the team, right? And didn’t she do quite well at the World Cup, too?

It is the system that creates the problem. It isn’t the anxiety to make a buck, it’s the anxiety to pay the bills.

It’s the points system and rating definitions that instigated the changes we see today. The fact is that too many trainers are not happy to be horsemen they want to live the same lifestyle as their clients who can afford the life style.

I keep asking you all to look at the old rule books and you will see the difference between now and then. When trainers have to up at 4 AM to start packing and shipping, and they don’t get home until midnight day after day they like the horses need “pain” killers.

If shows were organized differently, if the goals were different that would be the biggest possible benefit. Let’s face it no little kid says I want to grow up and be a “druggy”. Certainly no athlete, but the circumstances of competition when big money is at stake creates the stress and pressures. That’s why we need to look at the causes, the drugs are a symptom of a much more serious disease.

I think it is possible that those who choose horses as a recreational activity or as a profession are obsessive compulsive personalities. My question then is why? Why are these the ones attracted to our sport? Why do we not change the answer to that question.

Yellowhorse I have to say you are 100% right. There are no real excuses, we are all masters of ourselves if nothing else. And, yes I do agree that examples should be made of the ones who violate the principles of fair play with any chemical intervention.

We are or should be all sophisticated enough to know that our “role models” should be just that, and they are required to set a good example. I also agree while we can make compassionate excuses for the reason they took the wrong road that isn’t an excuse.

It’s a lot like the people who sit around getting drunk, because when they’re drunk they can imagine they are as wonderful as they would like everyone to think.

Personally, I have never really had a problem with people doing drugs because I think it’s their personal choice because all the trainers do such a good job and I don’t think it seems to get in the way of doing what they’re doing.

As a junior, I know how much drug/alchohol is used on the circuit but my knowledge is mostly with the juniors. I think that the juniors use of “substances” has come from knowing their trainers do that and it influences them alot. I’m only 14 (it’s strange to say you’re 14 and an ex-smoker, lol) and the only reason I started smoking was because my trainer did. I don’t really smoke anymore but I have gone to the parties with the juniors and I think that the wealthier you are the more prone you are to drugs/alchohol as weird as it sounds. And then we juniors grow up and we’re the trainers and some of the juniors take their drug/alchohol use to the next level and it’s an addiction whereas some of us just do it socially.

I think on-site counselling may be difficult as addicts typically hide, and deny, their addiction. The annonymity of a 1-800 counselling service, or at least a referral service, that the AHSA could underwrite, might be easier for some addicts to accept. Perhaps the AHSA could initiate a fund raising drive, or designate a portion of their annual budget, to underwrite such a service.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
I think on-site counselling may be difficult as addicts typically hide, and deny, their addiction. The annonymity of a 1-800 counselling service, or at least a referral service, that the AHSA could underwrite, might be easier for some addicts to accept. Perhaps the AHSA could initiate a fund raising drive, or designate a portion of their annual budget, to underwrite such a service.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent thoughts Heidi. The services would have to be confidential, and at the same time, accessible. There are probably some good models for these types of services already in place in other sports and professional organizations.

Hoopoe, very well put.

I’m wondering if those who are with a winning yet addicted trainer have the Rocky Mountain Oysters to yank their horse out and move to another non-addicted one?

Snowbird-
That makes me sad. Riding should be fun! Perhaps it is too much of a business now. Is there really that much $$ to be made that it needs to be a business? Or is it about prestige, much like a political campaign?
At any rate, it is sad that the pro’s push themselves to the point they need drugs.
Maybe customers need to be more understanding and put up with doing fewer shows? But then it seems like customer’s complain about having to do all these shows, every weekend.
A limit on showing seems to be the most humane thing to do for the pros, horses, owners, and grooms.

Snowbird: no offense intended, but come on. There are thousands of athletes who are under the same sort of stress who do not resort to drugs – professional NFL, NBA, Baseball, Hockey, etc. Not to mention just us regular guys. We all want to make a buck, some of us want to make more than others. And, very few of us need a crutch to do so. It’s easy to blame the “system,” the “rules,” “people being mean to me,” “I had it tough growing up,” etc. While I agree with the theory of addiction being a disease, placing the blame on a stressful life, paying the bills, etc. oversimplifies the problem. The minute you put something like cocaine up your nose, you have made a decision to cop out. This is Eric’s (and other trainers in the same boat) wakeup call. Get some help and get it now. And come to the realization that you WILL lose everything if you don’t come to terms with your addictive and criminal behavior. I apologize if this post has come on strong, but I lost a dear friend to cocaine nearly a year ago, dead at the age of 45 – a total waste of a promising life.

The question still arises, what can we do and what are we doing about it? Are the people drugging themselves, the same ones who are drugging their horses? Do we just continue to ignore it? Can we blow the whistle and not fear for our personal and equine safety? Do we dare?

This is serious stuff, and these are very serious questions.

I saw this post and I have been riding along and keeping quiet, but now I want to tell my story:

I’m 18 and this is my last junior year. I work with and live with my trainer Debra, and plan to continue to work for her as a professional after I am done my junior years. I lurk here alot and occasionally post a question (sometimes I post things for Debra as she’s computer illiterate so if you thought I was older that’s probably why

I’ve been on the circuit on and off since I was seven. My mom used to be a top A circuit trainer - this winter she committed suicide after a battle with drugs, anorexia, alcohol, and spousal abuse ruined her life. Growing up, my mom and I traveled to shows all over with her students - she did drugs often during this time and lost many students over it. She would get stoned and forget to show up for lessons or pass out during shows. It was horrible.

A horse died of colic once and it was kind of her fault - she was supposed to do night check everynight and she was stoned and forgot - I used to try and cover for her but I was staying at a friends. She didn’t go down to the barn for evening shift, and then slept through her morning shift. When a student finally arrived at the barn she found the horse down and in severe pain - he had twisted a gut and was put down hours later. Had he been walked and treated he may have lived - we’ll never know. This was five years ago. After this incident, one of my mom’s students decided to intervene and get us help - Debra was only 22 at the time but she was wise beyond her years. She would let me stay at her house to be away from my mom, and she would take my mom to meetings and help her try and stay clean- but it never worked and my mom soon stopped letting me stay with her, becuase she said it was ruining our lives and that Debra was stealing our clients away. In fact she was trying to save us.

When I was fourteen my mom went clean for awhile and we spent the summer showing and I did all the parties - my mom and I fought 24/7 so I was always out at the barn or with friends - I would drink, smoke, anything to forget my problems - the same cycle that sucked my mom in pulled me in as well - for months that was my life. One night when I was almost 15, Debra found me passed out from cocaine in the barn. I was almost unconcious. She saved my life - and made me promise I would keep it.

I turned my life around, I moved in with Debra for good shortly afterwards. I tried to stay in touch with my mom but it hurt to much - after she lost the horses and I left her life fell apart. She passed away New Year’s Eve last year.

Drugs are a problem on the circuit and people turn a blind eye to it. When my mom was wining no one care what she was doing, except for a few loyal friends like Deb. And then when things fell apart, she was a hasbeen and no one noticed. Even among juniors drugs are an issue I think. But all we want is victory.

I admit my story is extreme, but drugs are an on going issue and problem on the circuit as well as in life. If we don’t face this problems many lives - horse and human - will continuely be at risk.

Allyson

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bertie:
[B]Debra, thanks for posting. You have so much to offer on this subject. Some people (myself included) might have been afraid that this thread would turn into name-bashing and gossip. But if people with real concern and real ideas for solutions get involved, maybe some positive outcomes can be accomplished, or at least maybe it’ll get the ball rolling in that direction.

I’m probably naive, but I don’t think any good ideas are out of reach…I think the ideas expressed on this board are seen by many eyes. Even if an idea seems too expensive, or too difficult to organize, please post it. You never know what might come of it!

Debra mentioned brochures and contact numbers for intervention/drug help programs that she’s been promoting on her local circuit. What about the AHSA affiliated shows and circuits taking steps like this? Maybe the AHSA could even offer support groups/counseling at the circuit shows. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bertie we need people like you who are willing to discuss the issue and not the names - there are top trainers who are on drugs and there are people you will never know - what we need to do is find a way to reach them and make them stop.

Something else I think might be good for the kids is programs through Pony Club or similiar organizations - like drug education in school - only relate it to their lives - tell them stories of how it effects horses and riders and have people speak from experience. Also we need to make the resources avalible.

Above all we need to stop turning a blind eye to this. Just because someone seems find doesn’t mean they are. Just b/c they won’t let you help doesn’t mean they don’t need it. If you know someone who has a problem tell them “Look this can mess your life up and I know it is hard and I know I cannot tell you what to do but look at your life and how much you have to lose - people love you and care about you and maybe you need to stop and look at what you are doing to yourself. If you want help I will be there but you have to make the choice to stop” and tell them youare there for them but you want them to seek help very much and tell them where help is avalible. Don’t think jsut b/c you are not involved it is not your problem…

And parents watch over your kids!!! Don’t assume they are immune to this - someone here mentioned she started smoking b/c her trainer did - well there are many worse things kids can learn from trainers as well! Make sure you know where your children are and what they are doing and if something is wrong get them help. IF their trainer is doing drugs - at the very least try to remove them from the sitution. TALK to your kids about this and make them aware of it - this is a problem w/ younger and younger kids now!!!

I wish I had all the answers - or even something more concrete. But I am greatly heartened by your kind words and your inspirations.

Debra

In only 6 months this board has taken a massive turn of attitude. The begining for this was the weight issue thread. But only till someone spoke up the ones who had been inflicted felt too timid to post. You could read threw the lines and point out the ones who were inflicted. Its very hard to come foward and say HEY WORLD WAKE UP CAUSE HERE IS MY STORY. A year ago I would have never poured out my past on the boards to let a large audiene read. But something triggerd inside. I don’t know if it was anger that people were acting like this was a new fad or the fact that hearing what that judge said triggerd many years of hate from what my ears heard. All I know is some thing inside triggerd and without thinking there was my story writen with my own angry fealings.

For a day there I felt that I had made a tramedous mistake cause I crossed that line of personal experiences. But as the emails from other people poured in that day I relizes that that mistake was the best mistake I made. I seriously was skaired that people would lose respect for me. I lived a horable life but that fear is no longer with me. Im not happy with my mistakes but To be the person I am at this very moment Is a wondres gift. I still don’t know how I did it by myself with no help but I did. I got well and went on with life.

What’s wierd is looking back on those years and remebering how bad I just wanted to die. Only till you feal your sole actualy lifting from your body is when it realy hits you. Now I wonder what i was thinking.

What realy made it worth wiled was getting leters from people saying help I think I have a problem. You can’t save everyone but you can reach out your hand.

During that time I met a very special girl well not a girl anymore but a wonderful young lady with so much to live for. She steped over that threashhold and said I need someone to talk with. With just that she has gone from a timid girl to a powerful young lady who has so much wisdom its skairy to talk to her now. but once in a while she will slip but she reaches out and we bounce back together. This young lady just needed someone to tell her she was important. Kind words can go such a long way. you know who you are. This is for you. she is not the only one who has handed their hand to me but she has been the bigest chalenge. Im proud of her cause she has now had the privalege to experience the joy she has brought me. I wrote a letter to someone that took about 4 months to write, One evening I sent her a copy and It was a huge impact on her. Such a big impact that she took the letter and printed 2 copys and gave them to 2 dear friends who would not admit they had a problem. with that small act she whitnesed her own revolution. IM VERY PROUD OF YOU!

There is so much that can impact someone with the simple act of writen words. This young lady and I would like to reach out to the comunity of all levals. A mystery of storys writen by many riders is what her and i would like to ask from all of you. There are so many things we can do to reach out to others.

We would like to put together a book of stories of riders who have whitnesed or been personaly inflicted by any of the things parents wish we never had to deal with. I have stories of riders with anorexia, drug abuse, alchal abuse, and even a rider who cut themselves to relieve the stress. All very pourfull stories but the more the stronger of a book we have and a grater impact.

All I ask is to sit and write what comes from the heart nomater how grafic it is. its not going to just be a book of the evil but also a book of triumph cause these people are alowing others to read their words and feal what they felt.

Please everone ho want to make an impact help me achieve this goal. No names will be mentiond and frankly I think the book will be writen By Anonomous. so all who are reading this weather a member or not please help me and my friend have the ability to use your stories to touch even just one more person.

[This message has been edited by CTT (edited 10-30-2000).]

enevtually that winning yet addicted trainer will be either a winning and recovered trainer or a washed up addict.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by magnolia:

That makes me sad. Riding should be fun! Perhaps it is too much of a business now. Is there really that much $$ to be made that it needs to be a business? Or is it about prestige, much like a political campaign?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Magnolia it seems you have hit one of the major issues here. YES, for many trainers this is a business…and the key factor is earning the buck. I see it all the time in the racing industry. A horse is not your “pet” - it is an object that is used to reach an end…the end being a piece of the purse. Owner receives check, trainer receives percentage, and horse continues to run. Now before everyone gets in an uproar, understand that this is the way it is. No matter what discipline in the equine field we are talking about, there are owners and trainers that put the animal’s welfare before the money…and those that don’t. The price of success at any cost.

All this is well and good. But remember the humans choose their poison. The horses do NOT.

I always wondered what the purpose might be to dose a horse with cocaine, and just read Dr. Mayline’s comments on the AHSA website. How do you suppose a horse might feel on it, and then OFF IT. I for one (and maybe I’m the only one) am sick and tired of some people trying to bash the AHSA zero tolerance policy on these drugs.

I hope the bashers are few even if they are prominent and loud. After reading the AHSA report, I hate to think what we might be up against if someway a few trainers can undo the AHSA drug rules.

As many of you may know, Ron Southern, the chair of Spruce Meadows threatened, after the second positive test for cocaine, that Eric Lamaze would be banned from competition at Spruce Meadows. As a private facility, they are within legal right to do so. Here’s his strategy, one which begs a few questions: should the Canadian selection committee select Eric for the Nation’s Cup class at Spruce Meadows, Ron would dis-invite the entire Canadian team. The head of the CEF has been quoted in a newspaper that they would look into the legal issues and questioned whether ‘teams should be selected by the committe or by private facilities’.

Personally, I think Ron Southern is reacting to one very specific incident (the second positive test) and not grandstanding on a larger platform. He does not wish to select Nation’s Cup teams; he is, however, assuming a moral position which as a private facility he is fully entitled to make. Secondly, given his investment and efforts on behalf of Spruce Meadows and the sport in general, can’t help but respect him for being among the first to take a very strong (and probably necessary) stand on the issue of drug use among the pros.

Many, of course, have questioned whether the CEF should impose a restriction on Eric Lamaze’s competitive future, with rehab a condition of reinstatement. I don’t believe the CEF should assume the role of moral guide but do wonder whether they can quietly urge Eric Lamaze to take a year’s leave of absence from competition. BTW, a sponsor at the Royal Horse Show (which opens this week) has already pulled out because of Eric Lamaze’s entry in various open jumper classes and it is rumoured that he will ride on the Canadian Nation’s Cup team. Legally, he is ‘cleared’ to compete for Canada - morally, however, I am concerned that greater damage will be done to a sport which is already plagued with so many difficulties.

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 10-28-2000).]