Unlimited access >

Dumped Dog Please Reassure Me We Are Doing The Right Thing. EMBARK RESULTS ARE BACK!

OMG five breeds! I was thinking GSH [edited to correct should be GSD) husky, hound/beagle …I have run out of breeds! (She is beautiful!)

1 Like

GSH? I know GSD and GSP but can’t figure out what GSH is.

1 Like

I have no idea what breed(s) she was except beautiful.

1 Like

I will guess Shiba Inu and GSD as two of the breeds.

4 Likes

Your dog is beautiful!

2 Likes

Yes to both!

2 Likes

Her coloring is lovely!

My first throughs were:

• Shiba (due to size and coat)
  • GSD (coloring)
  • possibly Beagle? that white tippy tail scream some sort of hound. (But you did not reply to @omare that she was correct on beagle…so now I think no beagle). And I think she is not tall enought to be fox hound. Bassett possibly???
  • Akita
  • Border Collie

Her deep chest is throwing me off.

2 Likes

Deep chest and pulled up so much in the flank could be from sighthound?
GSD seems first guess given length and coloring.
Shiba’s head shape seems obvious once someone brought it up.
Sorry, can’t see beagle there?
Our dog rescue lady used to call those dogs “a unique, adorable breed”.
Yours is especially nice. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

What did she sound like when she vocalized?

Yes to GSD and Shiba. You got Border Collie, which was actually her highest %!

She barked with a medium-range tone. She was also prone to howling at sirens and certain musical notes (much to our amusement and her apparent embarrassment).

Everyone is doing really well! To recap, the correctly guessed breeds are:

• Border collie (35%)
  • GSD (24%)
  • Shiba Inu (20%)

The last 2 (one at 16% and one at 5%) are pretty unusual, but I will give another couple days to see what fun things people guess.

I would have believed Akita before the actual 5% result… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My assumption is that tip was residual irish white that likely came from the Border Collie. The urajiro came from the Shiba. The agouti likely came from either the Shiba or the mystery 16% breed.

1 Like

Crossed my mind that the more than normal intense stare and tight body lengthwise could be border collie, but other, tail a bit too high for that to fit, tail when staring in bc tends to be lower.
Other than the tighter stance and stare, nothing else was saying bc.
We used to train bc for cattle work and went not by how one looked to determine their working instincts, but how they stood and moved around cattle.
That is why the original bc organization didn’t want bc to become one more AKC breed determined by how they look standing there, if it was to preserve their unique working traits. You had to see them working, relating to what they herded, to say yes, that dog has “it”.

Strange how some genes at times come thru, others not expressed fully or at all, or not all the time.

1 Like

@Bluey I agree with you that BC was not on my radar with her initially, and I love the breed. Behavior-wise, she did have good eye contact, was super smart, and had a huge desire to please… but beyond that didn’t show many herding traits. She was more likely to run away from a moving animal than towards it and she would fetch a thrown toy a handful of times because she knew I wanted her to, but never initiated those kinds of games herself. Nor did she have the slinky kind of gait that Kestrel (my BC) does.

I love these guess the breed games because genetics is rarely boring!

1 Like

Our local herding bc trainer and breeder won some big herding trials, he was top of the professional trainers and we helped him with the puppies and starting dogs.
You would be surprised how many out of top dogs just did’t hook on herding.
He tried some up to two years old and the rare one was late, but the ones that were going to herd most already were trying to practically before they could walk.
Still, plenty just never did show any interest, but made awesome agility and obedience dogs.
The drive to work and biddiness, wanting to work for you, was a good trade-off and found homes easily in the performance dog world.
BCs are wonderful dogs, but happier if you have a busy life for them, no couch potatoes most of them.

There are other breeds and mixes that also herd well, does the one in the picture does herd?

1 Like

Mia had no interest in herding what so ever.

That is wonderful for a dog that won’t be able to herd regularly, they live for herding if they have the instinct for it.

1 Like

I’m guessing there is a smallish/toy breed in the mix. Or maybe even something funky like Chow. She’s lovely. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

ACD could sort of fit, but that would not be considered a rare/odd breed as the two missing are said to be?

2 Likes

Ohhhhh that’s a good guess!

So I know these dog DNA tests were considered to be wildly inaccurate by experts when they first came out. Have they become more reliable in the past year or two?