Unlimited access >

EAR PLUGS ?

The practice of placing cotton in your horse’s ears has been discussed on the nerve line thread. Looks as if the topic needs its own thread. Any other stewards wish to comment? How about the judges out there? We all know plenty of horses who are shown with those fuzzy color-coordinated “bunnies” (is that what you call them?) inside their ears. I don’t have a problem with it. I think most judges don’t have a problem with it. Is it “legal?” I’ve got an e-mail into the AHSA and will let you know if I receive a concrete answer.

I was talking to my other trainer when we went to the Rolex last year and she said that many top level eventers didn’t actually start eventing until they aged out of Juniors!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moesha:
I hate the self righteous attitude of some of the posts on this topic, and to make a sweeping generalization on the training methods of the country’s hunters and jumpers over a $.05 piece of cotton that cannot enhance a horses jumping ability or style or help him become a better mover is ridiculous. Will someone please post the actual rule prohibiting them???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Moesha don’t you have a rule book?

and by the way I looked back through this whole thread and until the last few posts can’t find anyone who REMOTELY attacked you -as far as I can tell you were the one who threw the first flames. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as you are entitled to disagree with my opinion and I am entitled to disagree with yours. I don’t think we need to resort to name calling and disrespect.

I have looked and looked in the on-line rule book at www.ahsa.org and can’t find any mention of earplugs in the hunter section. It is stated as illegal under dressage. I didn’t check any other sections. I would ASSUME and it is only an ASSUMPTION that IF they were illegal there use wouldn’t be so blatent.

Way back in this thread (sorry, I’ve been too busy to keep up!), two different posts said something like “have you ever been to an A-3 show” or “have you ever done this, that or another.”

Well, interestingly enough, that’s EXACTLY my point. I, and I’d guess that most not-strictly-hunter people on this board HAVE been here, there and everywhere, while some of you strictly hunter folks may very well not have. That’s why WE know that it is possible to develop a horse to concentrate, etc. That’s even why we come here–to continue our appreciation and education…

No, not all horses can be developed in X way. But again, no matter how you try to ignore the fact, that IS a suitability issue. The “hunter” who is so dumb, hyper, wired or whatever that he NEVER goes around without ear plugs is NOT a “suitable” hunter, IF one respects the original philosophy. Just like a hunter who bucks is showing bad MANNNERS, etc., etc.

To Moesha and Ash, as I stated before, I SELL horse to hunter people–more than to any other, in fact, because you guys are willing to pay well, even for younger stock and for TBs (unlike eventers and dressage riders–OK, shoot me for the broad generalization).

I am indeed a upper level dressage rider, but I was also an eventer and I routinely take my babies to hunter shows to school them, and I follow and spectate at the top shows because ponies I’ve sold show there, etc., etc. What about YOU two, Moesha and Ash? Maybe if you came to OUR sports more often, you’d realize that dressage shows ALSO have numerous rings going, crowded warm up areas, and guess what? We don’t even have 3’-4’ high fences to keep our horses in the ring when they might act up or get distracted. And yet we have three and four year olds doing relatively complex sequences of movements, smoothly, rhythmically and confidently. How do we do it? Why can’t you do it, too?

You don’t know how we do it, you don’t care to find out and you aren’t about to take the time to as long as there’s a quicker, easier way.

I won’t bother being immodest. I state these things because one reason why I hold the opinions I do is because I think I am a WELL-ROUNDED horseperson. Moreover, I do have considerable criticisms of those who prefer to cut corners instead of take the time that is necessary–and ear plugs DO cut corners–because I don’t and if I did, maybe I’d be further than I am (if that were my goal, which it isn’t).

Yes, ear plugs may cut corners that would never even be APPROACHED given the mentality of some horses in the ring these days. So, it’s OK to cut the corner because you don’t have a horse with the right mentality, but want to win anyway? As long as it moves and jumps well, who cares about the mental part?

Yes, ear plugs are pretty minor. But, folks, WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE? And who gets to draw it?

Step out of your industry for a moment, like the team penning comment tried to get you to do, and consider this very same situation in another industry. Consider the park horse or the walking horse. Over time, the walking horse’s shoes got bigger and bigger, longer and longer, heavier and heavier. These days, park horses live their entire lives stabled because the shoes they wear do not allow them to be turned out.

Yet, all of the high-stepper breeds have gotten to a point in their rules and regulations that someone said, “That’s enough. We’ve got to stop this somewhere.” I don’t know about the specific rules for all of them, but I do know that Morgans–and I suspect ALL gaited breeds–limit the size and weight of shoes horses can carry.

I use the shoes instance because just like ear plugs, shoes are not abusive devices. Yes, someone may say, but they DO change the horse’s performance. Well, I’ve already argued that so do ear plugs, as long as you continue to identify suitability and manners as part of what is being judged.

So, Moesha and Ash, I ask you: where do YOU draw the line? What guidelines do you use when you deviate from the basics of bit, bridle, saddle, martingale, shoes, crop and spurs? Would you allow an all-natural glue to be inserted under the tail to make it stay put and quiet?

Or, better still, if your grey horse got nervous in the ring and pooped yukky, runny, greenish brown, smelly stuff down its legs and into its pretty, white tail in a very distracting and thoroughly unappealing way throughout its round–but otherwise had superb form and movement–would you allow some kind “anal plug” to be inserted just before it entered the ring?

Ear plugs are expedient. Expediency is too much a part of too many hunters’ and equitation horse’s training. How can that change? By re-visiting the judging criteria and setting them so that they make healthy horsemanship, rather than expediency. That applies to tight curb reins o/f on equitation horses as much as to ear plugs on hunters.

Yes, J. Turner, those are good points, but…

Why won’t one of you address the “suitability and manners” aspect?

I’m not saying to send all TBs to the auction, but I AM saying that maybe all TBs aren’t suitable show hunters–indeed, the warmblood craze attests to that fact.

Indeed, indeed, Flash, while you too make excellent points, between the lines of your statements you are still saying “This kind of horse isn’t as good at it as that kind of horse, so we need to use something artificial so we can make up for that fact.”

And as Devildog stated, that’s somewhat unfair on those who DON’T need to do so (or don’t want to do so for moral/philosophical/purist reasons).

I stopped reading the nerve line thread, so I didn’t catch that discussion. Why would ear plugs be abusive? I don’t get it. Some horses (mine included) are very sensitive to sound and are less nervous in the ring w/ plugs. People wear ear plugs all the time to sleep/mow the lawn/etc. Why can’t horses?

Since I guess I’m to blame for bringing up the earplug subject and stating that using them is not in compliance with AHSA rules, I’ll clarify why I said that.

Besides my Appendix Quarter Horse that I use for foxhunting & trail riding, I also own a Half-Arabian that is shown at A-rated Arabian shows in Half-Arabian Western Trail (Open and AOTR). We were at a show at Commonwealth Park last year, and decided to try using earplugs on her since she’s easily distracted by the crackling sound that the PA system makes. Before we went in the class, an acquaintance who works the show office at some other Arabian shows came up to us (the trainer and me) and discreetly said, “You know, earplugs are ‘illegal’, you’d better take them out of your horse’s ears before going in the class.” Well, we both KNEW that they were very commonly used on the hunter circuit, but rather than arguing the point and/or risk being disqualified, we removed them. But I still really questioned their “illegality”, so the next week I called the AHSA, told them that I had a very specific question about the use of earplugs, and was directed to the Rules department. I specifically asked the person to whom I was transferred, “Can earplugs be used at AHSA shows?” The AHSA employee said, “No, absolutely not. They are considered an artificial appliance, and according to Article 319.2, they are not permitted. Article 319.2 states that ‘all artificial appliances other than those permitted in division rules are prohibited’.”

Now, it’s quite possible that this employee was wrong, but the matter was not important enough to me to pursue further. The trainer and I felt like the earplugs were a crutch (albeit a minor one), and if there was any question about their “legality”, it wasn’t worth risking. The earplugs do make a difference in the horse’s reactions to sounds, which may or may not make a difference in our placing in a class. However, the trainer and I both approach showing as something fun to do, and it’s the challenge of getting a good ride out of a difficult horse in a class that’s relatively complicated that’s important to us, as opposed to the color of the ribbon that the horse wins. So like I said, we just didn’t bother pursuing the earplug issue any further.

I do not feel that earplugs are abusive or even remotely comparable to nerve lines, I only used them as an example of a commonly-used and relatively benign item that the AHSA does deem to be an artifical appliance (at least according to the AHSA employee that I spoke to), and that if earplugs were not allowed, then for God’s sake, nerve lines certainly could NOT be “legal” according to the AHSA rule book.

I just took it on good faith that the AHSA employee that I talked to was competent and knowledgeable. I am VERY interested in hearing any responses that others get in their inquiries to the AHSA, so if anyone else gets any responses, please post them here!

Hope this clarifies how this subject got started!

I’m very curious as to why earplugs might be illegal by dressage standards but legal by hunter/jumper standards. I know one of my horses was like Bertie’s- he loved his earplugs (or at least understood their necessity) and would lower his head for them. We only used them at shows because he got nervous passing by speakers- using a small earplug eliminated the white noise and settled his nerves.

I am whole heartedly for ear fuzzies! My last horse was poked with a cattle prod before I bought him to force him in to starting gates. The noise that a cattle prod makes is suprisingly similar to one that a humming speaker makes. He would literally flip out with that noise, and was very noise sensitive in general. After I discovered the fuzzies it was like riding a different horse! Even if there is a rule (that I couldn’t find in my rule book) I would break it in certain situations.

Good points pwynn about how a hunter is judged – manners and way of going may be affected by lots of things including ear plugs. And luckyduck, the way you describe your use of ear plugs, sounds pretty okay to me. I think easing young horses into scary situations may require extra help to give them a change to get used to things. Pwynn, luckyduck and others – What can we do so hunters, especially young horses, are NOT condemned for actually behaving like living creatures?

Sorry guys should have been more careful with my “dressage test explanation” - All others accounts are correct - I oversimplified - EXCUUUUUUZ me (kidding)

All of you who think your OTTB are soooo sensitive - HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO THE RACE TRACK??? Have you ever met a REPUTABLE track trainer??? Have you ever been back to the barns at a track or watched the morining work-outs??? Racing just like ALL other horse disciplines has it’s unscrupulous, unethical trainers however just like ALL other horse disciplines it also has people that take the time to train a horse correctly. Race horses must deal with an incredible amount of distractions, noise, crowds, loud speakers, crashing and banging etc… I am always completely amazed how MANY (not all) will stand in the paddock to be saddled, go relatively calmly to the gate, run like hell, and then STAND in the winners circle to have a picture taken. Race horses that are well trained know their job, they work hard at it, under some very tough conditions. IMHO this means they have a great capacity to learn which can be successfully transfered to other sports.

I have had tons of experience with race horses good and bad and the fact is IF you are careful about the ones you choose and don’t just buy 'em cause they are cheap and beautiful you can get a lot of very trainable, very quiet horses from the track. Not every track trainer uses cattle prods to put a horse in the gates, not every jockey whips a horse to make it run faster - if you are going to buy horses from the track IMHO you should be there to watch the horses work on a regular basis - you can learn a lot.

And one more thing, if you want to use earplugs, by gosh go ahead and do it. If it’s not illegal, then I guess it’s up to you, but I was trying to point out that earplugs can be avoided with the proper back ground and training. Do you not agree with that? You have no idea what my riding background or career is, so don’t tell me I don’t know what I am talking about or that I am ignorant. I was simply putting MY OWN opinion out there and I try and learn as much as I can about other disciplines. Obviously you are as bad as the hunter people I know around here who think they are the gods of riding and every other disciplines should be poo-pooed. I did not at all try to personally attack YOU, I was pointing out that I don’t agree that earplugs don’t inhibit the horse at all. Obviously they do something to enhance the performance or you wouldn’t use them and they wouldn’t be contravertial. But to turn around a personally attack me was just totally rude.

I think I see where both Devildog and Moesha are coming from, and I agree with certain points both of you are making.

I think that people might be overestimating the value of earplugs- they only slightly muffle noises, but can’t take them away completely. The horses can still hear everything. Maybe this is not the case with the rubber earplugs, I’m not sure because all I’ve ever used as an earplug is a piece of polo wrap. I would not say that using earplugs does the same thing as lunging a horse until he’s quiet; I would not say that using earplugs prevents a horse from showing his personality in the ring.

Now let me explain one particular horse of mine to you. When we got him (at age 10) he had been shown for several years and was quite successful- he competed in the junior and regular hunters and was very high in the national standings. He was very well trained. Even though he was used to showing, and was very good at it, he still wore earplugs. No amount of exposure would change that. They did not drastically change his performance; they performed no miracles. He was simply more comfortable with them in.

My horse was always one to exhibit personality in the ring, even with his earplugs. I’ve had a lot of people tell me how much they enjoyed our rounds because he was so personable and fun. Earplugs couldn’t take that away from him- he would still shake his head or tail if he was so inclined.

Devildog, I think it’s great that you’re exposing your horse to so much and that you want to train her in such a way that no devices of any kind will be neccessary. But for some horses, they are necessary, and that’s just the way it is.

Until the last few posts, I really enjoyed this thread. Before it, I had had no idea that earplugs were illegal in dressage and am appreciating the opportunity to compare the disciplines and their different rules. I am assuming that earplugs must be legal in hunters/jumpers/equitation, because if they weren’t, my trainers never would have used them. I hope my little example was helpful.

pwynn, you are my hero! I am still laughing about the anal plug as well!! You said it all and I am not going to repeat it but I have one thing to say, AMEN.

I have a question re: crashing fences and squawking loudspeakers: WHY would anyone want their horse to be oblivious to these things? Now, before everyone jumps down my throat, I’m not advocating a wild and crazy reaction! I’m asking - what’s WRONG with acknowledging that something isn’t “normal”? Does the rider not look - or flinch - or become distracted for just a moment? Has anyone read Black Beauty recently? Hunters are supposed to be (well, there’s that “what’s the ideal hunter” question again!) safe galloping over the river and through the wood. Do you really want to do that on a horse with no reactions? Don’t we want our horses to use their brains (or instincts)? I KNOW that horses can be trained to accept abnormal situations. For heaven sake, riding them is abnormal for them! I don’t like the dead look in western pleasure and I don’t like it in hunters… Lucky for most trainers (and me, probably), I’m not a major judge!
Ah well, flame away…I’m sure there’s more room in that suit of pwynn’s!

Interesting thread - frankly, I think changing the judging standards to allow some head play would be a better solution than earplugs. Just a FYI - I own a horse that had been shown in earplugs before I bought him, and now he does not allow anyone to touch his ears at all - it made him totally paranoid. He finally allowed me to put a fly bonnet on him (took about a year!), but earplugs? No way. I have also seen/had horses disturbed by the plugs to the point of constantly shaking their heads. Defeats the purpose, huh?

My point here being, you must be careful if you are going to use them - and perhaps, like many other devices we have discussed, they are overused.

I have a coming 4 year old, that we just took to his first show. We stuffed his (huge) ears, and he refused to jump until the ear plugs were removed - maybe he thought that the strange jumps were absorbing the sound! Then he went around like a trooper.

I do agree that ear plugs are kinder to the horse than being lunged into the ground. I guess a lot of this is to make more horses fit the hunter ideal - unflappable, among other things. Maybe we need to re-examine what the hunter ideal SHOULD be.

I hate the self righteous attitude of some of the posts on this topic, and to make a sweeping generalization on the training methods of the country’s hunters and jumpers over a $.05 piece of cotton that cannot enhance a horses jumping ability or style or help him become a better mover is ridiculous. Will someone please post the actual rule prohibiting them???

OKAY…just because I take race track horses and bring them to shows 45 days after they are off the track I get jabbed…wait a minute…6 months of training…I wish I could say…that I could keep these “babies” for six months and take my time with them hauling to shows month after month, and not exsposing them to the “loud” schooling areas and turn them into babies like my OWN four year old who has been going places with me since he was three months old…but I WAS NOT THE ONE TO PUT THEM ON THE TRACK AS A 20 MONTH OLD! HELLO!!! I took them off the track to HOPEFULLY grant them a better lifestyle, and if I can start taking them to shows to “HANG OUT” and let them regroup their own thoughts about being at a show…and let them form their own opinion about behavior and what we are expecting out of them…then YES I will stuff “ear bunnies” into their ears in hopes of softening the “blow” of the noises of our sport…and not to encourage a possible blowup and “a day at the races” instead of a calm, good introduction.
SO…to the person who made the “jab” about my reasoning…I sure as heck would rather be taking these horses out, getting local miles, and putting QUALITY time into them (while I have them) while not frightening the tar out of them…in the schooling ring from the craziness of trainers screaming…kids whinning and so on…Having to deal with learning the “dodge” of the schooling ring is ALOT on a young ex-race horse…That in itself is a nightmare for these “wild ones” to deal with…why not give them a break and let one thing at a time happen…seems to me that that will prove a calmer, more well rounded show horse in the end…that might or might not have to go around without ear plugs…

Also whomever made the statement about hunters being “condemned” for showing personality…I think you hit the nail on the head…at least in dressage they allow for this freedom…if a hunter goes around with a dead but yet alive look…he wins…but if he dare show a little spark in his eye of loving his job and dare display it…with a little hop or a twist of his head…he is being BAD! Personally I would rather have that “spark” then a dead man…packers have a place…we all need them every now and again…but the life in a young horse needs to be appriciated and not hindered and covered up!

I agree that at the top levels, a hunter cannot even lash his tail or raise his head or he will be penalized. Which may be why some people resort to cruel, less than ethical methods to get the perfect round. I go with ear plugs, and have to admit I have had great days without them, and horrible days with them, so I am not sure exactly how well they work on my horse. HOwever, I always thought they were allowed, and will discontinue to use them if the AHSA states they are not.

Also, it is difficult to compare a dressage test to a hunter round over fences. A dressage rider rides in a balanced seat, and really has the horse right up underneath them at all times, allowing them more precise control. And the horses are usually in the same frame throughout the test ( I know there are exceptions). Whereas a hunter is usually ridden from a lighter 2 point seat, longer frame, and is asked to launch themselves and the rider through the air 8+ times during the round, landing and cantering on as if nothing happened. It is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. And if you have 10 nice horses who put in very good rounds, you have to nit pick somewhere.