Unlimited access >

English Girl Needs Western Attire Advice

Hey, y’all, I would really appreciate some answers to practical fashion questions. I’m delving a bit into the western world and don’t want to look like a rosy-cheeked scrub when I walk into the barn. I would like to go the route of barrel racing, if that makes a difference. So, please give me all you know about jeans and boots, specifically. Some random questions I have are:

• For boots, why do some have such a distinct, sloped heel while others have the straight, more workman-like heel? Is one for fashion vs. working and which is better for riding?
  • Jeans: what kind do you like when you ride? To bling or not to bling?
  • Do you find certain toe-styles more comfortable when riding? Is there a standard?

If anyone else has a piece of advice they wish they’d know when they started, please let me hear it!

These jeans are the most fabulous spectacular riding jeans ever:

http://www.smoothstride.com/

The only reason I won’t call them perfect is that I’m short, so the waistband ends up right under my boobs. :slight_smile: The “low-rise” fad has been a blessing to me, because low-rise on me comes up to my natural waistline.

I just wear what is comfortable. Note, though, that some of the materials are more slippery than others - it seems the really soft cotton jeans tend to be slippery. The “stiffer” feeling jeans seem to have a bit more grip.

Fashion jeans, that are not made for riding, have a seam in the crotch that will eat you alive.

Bling on the pockets on your rear end can scratch your saddle.

Can you go to a local show and see what other barrel racers are wearing?

[QUOTE=csaper58;8604320]
Fashion jeans, that are not made for riding, have a seam in the crotch that will eat you alive.

Bling on the pockets on your rear end can scratch your saddle.

Can you go to a local show and see what other barrel racers are wearing?[/QUOTE]

That is all very helpful, especially the inseam tidbit. I’m sure I can find one to go to!

BTW, my “go to” jeans for everyday riding are Lee Riders. I order 2-3 pairs at a time off Walmart.

Thanks, Palm Beach - that’s really good to know!

My riding jeans are Wrangler Q-Baby. Very comfy!

Boots…straight heel; those sloping higher heels are fashion, IMO.

Wrangler Q Babys are fantastic, seam is comfortable, waistband doesn’t double as a bra yet your ass-crack will be sufficiently covered :lol: I have some of the wrangler booty up fit with bling and they are still comfortable to ride in, but can scratch your saddle seat.

Oh, toe shape…whatever you prefer.

Pocket Pony and SuckerForHorses, y’all are lovely - appreciate your time answering my questions :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DressageConvert;8603081]
I would like to go the route of barrel racing, if that makes a difference.

• For boots, why do some have such a distinct, sloped heel while others have the straight, more workman-like heel? Is one for fashion vs. working and which is better for riding? [/QUOTE]

I think most “working” boots have the flat straight heel. However, I see people riding in the fancy sloped heel as well. Wear what is comfortable.

Personally, I love the comfort and feel of the Ariat Pro-Baby boots, so that is what I wear most of the time.
    http://www.bootbarn.com/Ariat,-10014081,-Distressed-Brown,-10.0,-B/884849732342,default,pd.html&cm_mmc=Shopping--Google--Ariat-_-884849732342

I would say the square toe is more “fashionable” right now, but honestly wear whatever you want. Personally, I find the round toe much more comfortable for all-day wear and riding, but I do have a couple pair of square toed boots.

I have some of each. And my bling jeans aren’t overaly blingy. You see a lot of the Miss Me brand of jeans, but those personally don’t fit my body type right so I don’t have any of those.

Be careful of extra bling on your bum, as they can scratch your saddle.

[QUOTE=DressageConvert;8603081]
    If anyone else has a piece of advice they wish they’d know when they started, please let me hear it! [/QUOTE]

Wear what is comfortable. The barrel racing clock doesn’t care what outfit you are wearing. :wink: It only cares who is the fastest!!

Also make sure you always check the DRESS CODE of the barrel race you are going to attend. Some of them don’t have a dress code, and others you need full attire (long sleeve shirt and hat/helmet).

I tend to wear as little bling as possible when running the mud. :smiley: Less to clean!
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/r_beau/2015%20Horse%20Pictures/Wing%20Rodeo%206-20-15%20slack%2004_zpsqmcwsmiy.jpg

• [QUOTE=csaper58;8604320]
    have a seam in the crotch that will eat you alive.[/QUOTE]

That’s the great thing about the Smooth Stride jeans. They have no inseam. None. There is no seam at all running up the inside of the leg. That means there is just a single seam - the one that runs from the back of the jeans to the bottom of the zipper - in the crotch of the jeans.

Another thing about boots… If you are riding in jeans with no chaps, make sure your boots are tall enough that they don’t sort of get caught in the bottom of the fender. I have Ariat Fat Baby boots and they are very comfortable for doing chores and walking around, but I do find that if I don’t wear chaps, they are just the right length that they sort of link up with the bottom of my fenders. (Just for comparison - the Pro Baby boots were linked above, here are the Fat Babys, they are shorter http://www.bootbarn.com/Ariat-Women’s-Fatbaby-Heritage-Performance-Riding-Boots/2017419,default,pd.html?dwvar_2017419_color=Rowdy%20Tan)

The other problem could just be that my legs are too short. :lol:

[QUOTE=Pocket Pony;8605369]
    I have Ariat Fat Baby boots and they are very comfortable for doing chores and walking around, but I do find that if I don’t wear chaps, they are just the right length that they sort of link up with the bottom of my fenders. [/QUOTE]

Very good point about the “short” boots out there, but I personally don’t find some of the Fat Babys to be safe to ride in, IMO

Such as these: That bottom is way too grippy to slide out of a stirrup, plus the heel on some of them are not very defined (although this one isn’t too bad). Both run the risk of having your foot be caught in the stirrup in a wreck.
    http://www.bootbarn.com/Ariat,-10007646,-Distressed-Brown,-7,-B/884849235072,default,pd.html&cm_mmc=Shopping--Google--Ariat-_-884849235072

I have an older pair of the Fat Babys when they first came out and I love them because they are so comfortable, but I have NEVER ridden in them for those reasons. They don’t have a defined heel at all and I’d never be comfortable riding in them. I might as well ride in a tennis shoe! :wink:

Y’all are so freaking awesome, thank you! The short boots make a whole lot of sense - I’ve been liking the taller shaft look but the functional reason makes it all the better.

Sloped heel are mainly fashion. You can wear a spur with them, since the Spurs sit at the top of the heel, since the heel slopes in, the Spurs just fall under your boot when you use them.

My favorite jeans are Cruel Girl by Cinch. I particularly like the Georgia Stretch slim fit. No frills or bling, just good working jeans.

Again, boots are whatever you find comfortable. Square toes are very “in” now. I have Cinch Edge boots, they are square toe and the only boots I can wear all day without severe complaints from my feet and back.

The slightly higher, sloped heel is called a riding heel. It is designed to prevent the boot from slipping through the stirrups. These boots aren’t comfortable to wear for walking around. The broader, flat heel is called a walking heel. They are suitable for riding but also comfortable for everyday use. For barrel racing I think I’d prefer the riding heel.

I prefer the walking heel for riding just because it’s what I wear daily and that’s usually what I end up wearing to the barn. That is also what you will probably see at a lot of rodeos (at least that’s what is worn up here). As far as toe goes, I would say that’s a personal preference, but square toe is pretty common.

As for jeans- Cowgirl Tuffs! They are made by barrel racers, for barrel racers. They have some everyday jeans with minimal embellishments or rodeo jeans that are totally blinged out!

Thank you, everyone! You’ve been so helpful!