Unlimited access >

Equestrian Targeted Fitness Programs

I have done quite a bit of online/app programs the past 20 years of my life; Beachbody, Nike run club, Jillian Michaels, Nike fitness, Yoga with Adriane/Find What Feels Good etc etc lol. I appreciate the program format so I don’t have to think as hard. I would say I have had success with all the programs I have committed to, but none really helped with my personal mobility issues and didn’t have the tailoring to quite hit the mark while in the saddle.

I completed the most recent Riders Pilates Club 5 Day challenge. Loved it so much I signed up for her 3 for 2 6 month sessions and just finished the second week of the April/May content. I have always felt generally better after a workout of any kind, but this program is quickly showing me how effective it is for the “rider” element of my life. Having a connective tissue disease complicates things for me, but I have left so many sessions actually feeling better in some of my tough areas. Her workouts are basically a built out physical therapy plan…almost all of the exercises my PT has given me to work on are included (not exactly but same idea) in the pilates program. It’s awesome.

I also saw an add for the Equestrain app which I bit on a months subscription to try. I wanted to add some kind of additional variation to compliment the pilates into my weekly routine. That program has very similar focus areas/exercise to RPC and I am really liking that as well.

I was able to lengthen my stirrups a hole this week as well which I think is another testament to the effectiveness. I’ve always had a bit of a bias I guess that smaller movements would never get me as far as larger ones/heavy weights/etc. I have had to reset my expectations due to my health limitations and my expectations have really been exceeded.

Are there any other equestrian programs out there that YOU are a big fan of?

3 Likes

Reformer Pilates - especially level 2+

Has done more for my riding than almost any other form of exercise.

3 Likes

My PT’s office has a new therapist starting that is also a certified pilates instructor and they are getting in a reformer as well. Im planning to so a session with her! I did several semesters of pilates in college…at least two years worth, but it was all just on the ground. Im curious to see what the reformer is all about!

1 Like

Haybales and Barbells is great! She does programs like what you’re talking about but also sells workout guides that put together routines targeting specific elements of riding that you can do whenever you want. I prefer the flexibility of the guides so I can put together my own program for the week using that and other sources for yoga, pilates, etc. I write out my schedule each week and make sure my workouts complement my riding plans and anything else I have going on.

3 Likes

Duh, yes!!! I forgot I purchased some of her PDFS! She’s another good one, though I think that someone just starting with exercise would do better with videos vs the name and a single photo. I work her stuff in every now and again but I am finding that RPC and Equestrain do a better job of variations that really get into targeted areas for riders. Haybales and Barbells were exercise Ive done at home/at the gym for many years just packaged and marketed towards equestrians. These other two are way more focused.

The guides I have do have links to videos for each movement, maybe a more recent addition. I agree that HBBB is lacking in some of the mobility and isometric exercises that really benefit in the saddle, so I supplement with other sources. That’s part of why I don’t like the comprehensive programs, I like to be able to tailor my system to exactly what I need even as those needs change week to week.

I took the Dressage Rider Training course, which I liked a lot, but I am horrible at sticking with an exercise program.

2 Likes

Ill have to double check mine! I bought them a while back so maybe new; I have them printed in a binder in the gym but I don’t think they have links. I totally agree, I like to tailor as well.

Nothing has made me feel stronger, in or out of the saddle, than pilates, Incorporating reformer pilates into my life has made a huge change for me, particularly in how my body feels.
I have not tried https://www.pilatesforequestrians.com/ but have heard very good things.

2 Likes

This may be a slight tangent, but for those of you who have done equestrian-specific fitness programs, what would you say are the advantages of doing those over “normal” workouts? I like to work out so I’m generally a pretty fit person, and to my knowledge a lack of strength and flexibility doesn’t get in my way in the saddle (and I’ve heard my trainer call other students out on that so I think she would have told me if it was a concern!), but I’ve never done anything specifically tailored toward riding. Is that something you’d recommend trying?

The equestrian targeted workouts for me, are very specific. So instead of core/glutes/quads they get you into very specific versions of a movement to target your pelvic floor or your piriformis muscles. Or exercises that encourage pelvis equalization that specifically help to strengthen and straighten the seat. RPC specifically helps with releases and activation in areas that directly apply to being in the saddle.

I dont work up a sweat or get my heart rate even close to being out of zone 1, but I can physically see the effectiveness in my core and arms and feel the difference in my saddle. I imagine non-equestrian Pilates would have similar effects but going through the rider specific ones, they tell you how what you’re doing helps with riding which is great.

2 Likes

Interesting! I might give it a try since I’d be doing pilates anyway :slight_smile: it doesn’t look like RPC has anything free at the moment, but the Pilates for Equestrians that @Words_of_Wisdom mentioned has a free seven day trial so I think it’s worth testing out.

The best program is the one you can stick with.

That means you have time for it, you have the facilities ot and it isn’t going to exacerbate any existing injuries or be too ambitious for your current fitness, strength and flexibility level.

6 Likes

There is a program I actually wanted to buy that uses bungies and specifically for riders, based in the UK.

I didn’t save the link and my kid closed all my tabs so I’ve been trying to find it again.

I really enjoyed the Riders Pilates Club but I have a hard time sticking with it.

I think it depends. A lot of “normal” exercises can also benefit riding, so equestrian specific programs aren’t necessary for everyone. Where they can add value is by identifying exercises to address specific things people want to improve in the saddle, and by addressing areas that are common problems for riders (hip mobility being a big one for me that isn’t always accounted for in general workout programs).

Something that’s also helpful for me is the extra motivation that comes from having workouts specifically tied to my riding - working out just for general fitness with no goal in mind is less appealing to me than working out to be a better rider and accomplish XYZ goals in the saddle. I’ve always preferred having some kind of competitive goal driving my fitness routines, horse-related or not.

2 Likes

100% agree. That has always been to my benefit in the saddle hands down.

It’s just been eye opening how much they were missing…and maybe just for me with the structural issues I have working against me these days :joy: I just finished a training ride today myself; I’ve been leaving a lot of those to our trainer and I’ve been doing more trail riding and hacking outside. I felt like it was nearly in a new body going through our paces. Power of Pilates it sounds like! Thinking back, I was riding at my college while taking the Pilates and I suspect I had no idea how much that was helping me through those years.

2 Likes

Answering as someone who designs programs (and uses them!) but the idea for mine is to spend more time on the muscles and movements you use for riding (e.g. rhomboids and traps that keep your shoulders back and down) and less time on some of the exercises that are popular but less applicable to riding (e.g. bench press). Not that the latter will hurt, but if your workout time is scarce and precious you’ll want to use it wisely.

4 Likes

Search for “Activate Your Seat” on Facebook or Insta - that’s the bungee program based in Scotland. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks all! I think I’m going to try out Pilates for Equestrians and see how it compares with my normal routine, just out of curiosity. I generally do some kind of workout 5 days a week, I’m lucky that I really enjoy it for its own sake and don’t struggle to make the time for it, but I always like trying out new stuff!

1 Like

Really good explanation. Finding something that checks my PT exercise box AND specifically supports riding lets me exercise pretty much on autopilot.

Im prone to fussing around with scheduling my workouts for the week and it in the past has wasted a lot of mental energy/worry for not much pay off. I find with the pilates type work, even if I am having a low energy day or not feeling great, I can still muster through those workouts vs a harder cardio one on the spin bike or lifting heavy.

1 Like