Unlimited access >

Equiband? Equine Resistance bands

Has anyone used these? I seem to remember seeing Will Coleman uses them in his program. Has anyone tried a set up without the £200 saddle pad?

I’ve read some positive sounding studies as I’m looking for ideas to help with my horse’s rehab but I’m curious if anyone hasn’t personal experience with them.

I’m a big fan of resistance bands for my own personal training in the gym so I’m intrigued.

http://equicoreconcepts.com/system.html

I use one. Mine doesn’t need a special saddle pad. The physio rigged one up with the right tension for my horse, it attaches to the girth. I understand the purpose of it, but I haven’t noticed that he travels differently in it. But it was cheap, and might help him strengthen the hind end, so I’m giving it a try :smiley:

If you search for “Equiband” in the search bar you should pull up some of the other threads on it.

I’ve used the Equiband system quite a bit over the last 4 or 5 years. Absolutely love it. It has made a big difference on a couple of my horses. Never had a horse object to the feel of it (despite having some…er…explosive types), and it has definitely helped with muscle and topline building.

I’ve said several times that I think you could rig up a similar thing less expensively, but as many others have pointed out, the ease of setting it up is often the thing that lends itself to consistent use, and the system is really easy to use with the clips.

In short, I am a big fan and think the money I spent on it was well spent!

2 Likes

How about saving all the money and go for hacks? Maybe walk a few long hills (they don’t even have to be steep)?

7 Likes

The two are not mutually exclusive! I am a fan of doing both, and also doing hill work/hacks WITH the equiband on.

14 Likes

I use these since the phsysio/massage/chiro person suggested them. They make a huge difference. We rigged up a ghetto version - cutting holes in one of the multitudes of old saddle pads I have, and using chip/bag clips from the Bed Bath & Beyond store to secure the bands. The cost was all of $4, or whatever the clips were. I use the rear belly band. The behind the legs band is really hard work.

I use them primarily in the spring when legging up. The TB is not a fan. He thinks they are too much work and will tolerate them only for a short period of time. The pony also thinks they are hard work, but being a Haflinger he just sighs (but not too big, because the bands restrict that) and gets on with it. His trot with the bands is big and boingy. Take them off and he’s back to his sluggish self.

It’s really easy to over do it at first and make them muscle sore -10 minutes is a lot if they’ve never had them on.
They are really good for getting a harder workout in when you have little time - so in the spring when it’s still cold and dark and you only have 15 minutes of light, riding with the bands is like working without them for 30. And totally use them on hacks and hills.

1 Like

I didn’t even know there was a ‘kit’.

About 5 years ago, I had a 17 year old pony who underwent colic surgery. As part of his rehab, I was given a set of the bands. Narrelle Stubbs, who was then still at MSU where he was treated, also designed a core strengthening program for him. He came back better than he’d ever been. Since then, I have occasionally used the bands short-term with him if I wanted to up our game a bit more and I was pressed for time to put lots of miles on in the saddle. All with good results.

I have also used them to leg up another pony who had been a pasture puff for well over a year. They were also very effective for him. They are very easy to use.

The horses do get a workout, but I have not had them put up any protest to them. I have not had one become sore from their use. I find I just have to be careful not to ask too much at first. As mentioned up-thread, 5 - 10 minutes. Once I got to the point of 20 or so minutes, the horses seemed to have good strength and muscle memory and I went back to working without.

The only con I would say is cleaning the pad. I’m hesitant to throw it in the wash with the buckles, so I use a very thin pad under it just for the sake of keeping it clean. Has worked decently so far.

Yes, I would spend good money on the set based on my experiences.

3 Likes

Reviving this old thread as my chiropractor suggested this as an adjunct for my big 17 hand Holsteiner eventer. He came to me after 2 years of no work and it has been a lot of blood sweat and tears but he is making steady progress. Yes this is a gadget and I love a good gadget. Won’t make any apologies. This winter in the midwest has been a disaster . My poor guy has not had a decent turnout in 7 weeks due to footing so I have been committed to riding 5 days a week but it has mostly been flatting but thank God for a fabulous indoor. Looking forward to this arriving as I just ordered it.

CindyCRNA–did you like it?

The vet I use for acupuncture/chiro recommended this for my mare, and it is remarkable. I have only been using it for a few weeks, and I wouldn’t say I see results in her topline yet. But the way she goes with it on is amazing. I’m not sure I can describe it. And she is going much better with it off too, which is promising.

We are only up to like 15 min in it, and it is a bit of a pain to get on/off to set and remove the bands. Our outdoor arenas are about 1/4 mi from the barn, so I put the bands on to start and walk her to the arena with them on. Ideally I would warm her up before putting the bands on, but 1) the vet doesn’t want me “walking around with her belly dragging” so it’s better for her to make the walk with the bands on, 2) she’s coming in from turnout, so she’s at least a little warmed up when I get on, and 3) it saves me an extra dismount/mount or 5 min walk on foot. After about 15 min of work with brief walk breaks, I get off to remove the bands, then finish our work. I end up having to get off a second time to pick up the bands and then walking her back to the barn (to avoid getting on her a third time). Or I leave the bands out there and drive to get them. It’s a bit time consuming and I’m usually in a rush. But the work is so efficient, it is worth the rigamarole.

The vet wants me to alternate lunging in it and riding in it, but I confess, she feels so good to ride in it I haven’t lunged as much as the vet probably has in mind.

2 Likes

Ugh, I just did a long post about my experience with it (very positive so far), and it was marked “unapproved” and has disappeared. Maybe it will turn up later.

Bumping this old thread. I ordered a knock-off version from the UK (bungee band) and I’m having issues with the pad sliding back even with just the ab band on. My lungeing surcingle is a Henri di Revel https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/henri-de-rivel-training-surcingle-7452 not the cheapest, but not top of the line either. My horse has a TB sharkfin huge high wither, so it is a fit issue? Just wondering if anyone else had this struggle.

I also have a knockoff version from england, and a cheap surcingle from Schneiders. I have not had the problem you’re describing. I wonder if your bands are too tight? Or possibly the sharkfin withers are pushing it back in a way my potato-horses don’t?

I have the original version and have had no issues with sliding.

I recently got the original version and am curious how those who use it are working it into their normal week of riding. I have a 5 yo ISH gelding that could use more core strength and stepping under/push in the canter, but I don’t want to overdo it with the Equiband. So far, I have lunged him in it a few times for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes of riding before removing the bands.

I’m not big on gadgets but I got an Equiband for Christmas a few years ago and I’ve used it on two horses.

A little over a month ago I started with 10 min at the beginning of the ride (ab band only for the first few days, then both bands). Every ride or two I added 2-3 minutes of use, up to 30 minutes. I find it really easy to remove while mounted. My horse hasn’t objected or acted tired in any way. He is keeping his hind legs underneath him better in the halt (tends to park out) and his walk pirouettes are significantly improved. He’s also tracking up better in the trot (he is a TB with a bit of a “pony trot”). I’m still using it for every dressage school and during hillwork. I’ll start tapering back in another 1-2 months.

With a previous horse I introduced it similarly but also longed in it one or two days a week. My coach noticed better back muscling and carriage, without knowing I was using the Equiband at home (though hopefully some of that was correct riding as well).

I wouldn’t say it’s magickal but it seems to have done my horses no harm and some good.

This page has some good use guidelines: https://equicoreconcepts.com/guide/

Basically they say to use it at the start of the ride and increase duration gradually. They recommend using it daily for about 3 months, then dialing back to one or two sessions a week.

1 Like

Great, thanks so much for your insight and experience with it! I am looking forward to seeing if it improves my young horse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there!

I actually just got an EquiBand system for my horse (well had to wait for a surcingle to arrive). I am going to lunge him in it twice a week before work and hopefully ride him in it twice a week. For lunging I am aiming for 5 minutes to start, with plenty of walking.

I’d love to track progress with you!

1 Like

Great! Let’s check in after a few weeks? Tell me about your horse!