Unlimited access >

Equine Biomechanics

Hey everyone
So I’m starting a business doing equine biomechanics. I have everything I need (software, equipment, knowledge) but I’m struggling to get clients and starting to get frustrated. It’s hard because most people don’t know what equine biomechanics is or that it exists. I work part time at a tack shop and am working our vendor at HITS Saugerties all summer. I think it could be a great opportunity to spread the word about my business and gain clients but I’m not sure how. I have brochures out but no one has taken any. I’m not sure if I should just go around the barns and walk up to people and tell them about my business or if that’s too pushy? If anyone has any clever ideas or recommendations about how I can promote my business and gain clients I would greatly appreciate it! Or even just sales tactics that you don’t like (so I know not to use them!) I’m potentially selling my services to people like you so any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

[QUOTE=btswass;7608434]
Hey everyone
So I’m starting a business doing equine biomechanics.[/QUOTE]

What does that mean? I just returned from Devon and feel like I’ve got a decent grasp on what’s happening but I have no idea what “doing equine biomechanics” means.

And therein lies my problem. Equine biomechanics is the study of the horse’s gait. I place markers on the horse’s joints, use a high speed camera to video the horse both directions, with and without saddle/rider. I use a biomechanics program to get data and information about the horse. I use the data to create graphs of each joint at different gaits. So for example one graph would show the angular velocity of the left shoulder and the right shoulder at the trot. The two lines should look just about the same. This means the left and right shoulder are working symmetrically. All chronic injuries start off as asymmetries in the horse. By finding and fixing these asymmetries we can improve performance and prevent injury. These asymmetries are too slight to be noticed by the eye or even a flex test which is why vets don’t know an injury is occurring until it actually occurs. Equine biomechanics has so much potential and could really change the way we care for our horses if only I could get people to know about it

Hmm - that doesn’t really sound like something I would be interested in. I’m not going to spend money on something that might, perhaps, show some abnormality. My one horse paddles - she’s not lame, but I image that would register as an abnormality.

I get that prevention is better than a cure, but biomechanics as you explain it would not be of interest to me.

What is the cost, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve never heard of it, either; sounds cool! So is it mainly diagnostic, and then a vet can use info to treat it, and/or can you offer a way to balance out the horse with targeted exercises?

I think cost is definitely a big thing, because as Preposterous Ponies! pointed out, not all gait abnormalities or asymmetries result in injury. If it is something that’s relatively low in cost, I would find a friend that will be a “guinea pig” so you can do a demo of it at a certain barn. For these “alternative” or “new” therapy type things, it’s generally word of mouth that gets people to try them.

Just as an example, somene in my area recently got a TheraPlate and started offering the services. She brought it out to my barn and did a demo on one of the barn’s horses, and was there for an evening so people could try it out if they wanted to. She then left it at our barn for a week so people could try it out (not use it themselves, only the barn manager was allowed to operate it). The cost was really low ($30/treatment) so lots of people tried it out, and now our barn is looking into purchasing their own. So sometimes, all you need is a little hands-on exposure.

Another thing to consider showing people is all of the clinic write ups that have been done, I think I remember seeing some on Get My Fix?

[QUOTE=btswass;7608494]
And therein lies my problem. Equine biomechanics is the study of the horse’s gait. I place markers on the horse’s joints, use a high speed camera to video the horse both directions, with and without saddle/rider. I use a biomechanics program to get data and information about the horse. I use the data to create graphs of each joint at different gaits. So for example one graph would show the angular velocity of the left shoulder and the right shoulder at the trot. The two lines should look just about the same. This means the left and right shoulder are working symmetrically. All chronic injuries start off as asymmetries in the horse. By finding and fixing these asymmetries we can improve performance and prevent injury. These asymmetries are too slight to be noticed by the eye or even a flex test which is why vets don’t know an injury is occurring until it actually occurs. Equine biomechanics has so much potential and could really change the way we care for our horses if only I could get people to know about it[/QUOTE]

This is going to sound very critical if you are easily offended stop reading and carry on.
Your 2nd post sounds much better than your first. When you say “I’m starting a business doing equine biomechanics” it sounds like you don’t know what you are talking about. I know the definition equine biomechanics but I had no idea what your business did in relation to equine biomechanics. Your 2nd posts indicates that you do have training and possible knowledge OR you’ve memorized the marketing language for the piece of equipment you’ve purchased. The problem with your first post and possibly starting a business is you don’t "do equine biomechanics’. You have equipment which helps evaluate the biomechanics of a horse. If you are going to work which such technicalities you need to speak of your business in the same way. Don’t say “starting a business doing equine biomechanics”. Your target customer is going to be someone very wealthy who has the cash to throw at this extra service. Or someone who’s horse has a chronic problem and they will be very knowledgeable of the possible issues. They will immediately discount your service if you describe it as you have in your first post. Have you considered partnering with a vet to give this process some credibility? Or are you thinking more along the lines of a Magna wave type business where it is just you and your equipment?

I’m not interested in the technicalities of the process or the cost. And posting on the type of info most likely will get this thread killed for marketing your business.

Congrats on starting a business! It’s a big step and risk with possible great reward (and not just financial) The ability to do what you are doing is one of the things that makes our country great.

Maybe you are on to something. But there are tons of great products/services that don’t make it the first time or 100th time because they aren’t approached the correct way.

After reading your first post I had the same thoughts as Cannonball, but you cleared it up nicely in your second post. I actually had considered starting a similar business when I finished my undergrad, but ultimately decided I was more interested in the heart then the joints. Kudos to you, I’m interested to hear how it works out!
I think that my first step would be to contact some vets, chiros, and massage therapists in your area. If you could find a way to work with them, either to get referrals from them, or letting them use your services people may be more receptive.
I don’t think that approaching barns at HITS would be out of line, as long as you weren’t bothering them while they’re trying to get to the ring. In those cases I would market it a couple different ways.

1. Point out that it can help diagnose a mystery or chronic lameness.
  2. Point out that it can be used to identify asymmetrical movement, and that addressing that can help a hunter pin higher, a jumper jump higher, a young horse with sticky lead changes, etc.
    I would suggest that you have a demo video that you keep on your phone or iPad so that you can show potential clients what you’re selling, and then leave a brochure or business card with them.

Even though it sounds like you’re more familiar with the h/j disciplines don’t be afraid to approach some eventers, dressage folks, reiners, etc. Perhaps look into “barn parties” like the previous poster mentioned. Say that you’ll spend a day at someone’s barn, do a demo on the host’s horse, and then hopefully have the barns boarders and clients booked for the rest of the day. Let them know that you’re starting your business, that this is frequently used on human athletes, and it can be a fun way for them to analyze their horses as well as have a baseline for any future issues.

Also, do you have any friends in marketing? Who might be able to take a look at what you have so far?

I would also keep the price point lower to begin with. Let people know that your information is preventative as well as diagnostic, it can be used as a baseline and again during rehab, and is affordable so that it can be someone’s first step.

If you were buying a new horse would you be more interested in gait abnormalities? I believe pre-purchase analyses will be a big seller. Pricing depends on the service being performed. I don’t want to talk about pricing as I am not trying to advertise my business but just getting help on the best way to approach potential clients. If you want you can go to my website www.vuelobiomechanics.com. And yes I do need to speak in more professional terms. “Performing biomechanics” is much better than saying “doing biomechanics”. I graduated as a mechanical engineer so I have lots of training in this field. And while my software does give me data about the horse’s gait I am the one actually manipulating the data, creating graphs, and then creating a report of what all these numbers and graphs actually mean. I am not offended at all by anyone’s critics. The only way to improve is to listen to an act upon the critics of others! (If I couldn’t I wouldn’t still be in the horse industry!) Thank you for everyone’s suggestions so far. I agree that word of mouth is the best form of promotion. In fact 53% of information sources comes from word of mouth. I think it’s a matter of getting my first client and things will take off from there (I hope).

[QUOTE=GoodTimes;7608699]
After reading your first post I had the same thoughts as Cannonball, but you cleared it up nicely in your second post. I actually had considered starting a similar business when I finished my undergrad, but ultimately decided I was more interested in the heart then the joints. Kudos to you, I’m interested to hear how it works out!
I think that my first step would be to contact some vets, chiros, and massage therapists in your area. If you could find a way to work with them, either to get referrals from them, or letting them use your services people may be more receptive.
I don’t think that approaching barns at HITS would be out of line, as long as you weren’t bothering them while they’re trying to get to the ring. In those cases I would market it a couple different ways.

1. Point out that it can help diagnose a mystery or chronic lameness.
  2. Point out that it can be used to identify asymmetrical movement, and that addressing that can help a hunter pin higher, a jumper jump higher, a young horse with sticky lead changes, etc.
    I would suggest that you have a demo video that you keep on your phone or iPad so that you can show potential clients what you’re selling, and then leave a brochure or business card with them.

Even though it sounds like you’re more familiar with the h/j disciplines don’t be afraid to approach some eventers, dressage folks, reiners, etc. Perhaps look into “barn parties” like the previous poster mentioned. Say that you’ll spend a day at someone’s barn, do a demo on the host’s horse, and then hopefully have the barns boarders and clients booked for the rest of the day. Let them know that you’re starting your business, that this is frequently used on human athletes, and it can be a fun way for them to analyze their horses as well as have a baseline for any future issues.

Also, do you have any friends in marketing? Who might be able to take a look at what you have so far?

I would also keep the price point lower to begin with. Let people know that your information is preventative as well as diagnostic, it can be used as a baseline and again during rehab, and is affordable so that it can be someone’s first step.[/QUOTE]
This was really helpful thank you! I really like the idea of having a video with me. There’s so much it can be used for (like you said as a base line which we really do need!) and some times it’s hard to explain it all to someone. A video would be a much more concise way for people to understand it without me rambling on forever! I am doing a clinic at my barn next month. I will explain the reasons why you would want an analysis done as well as do a demo and show the results of previous analysis and a before and after analysis. Hopefully if it goes well I can do something similar at other barns. I have been trying to get into different disciplines as well. My new barn has a handful of good dressage riders which will hopefully help me get into the dressage scene. I think they will both appreciate and understand the importance of a symmetrical horse and how biomechanics can help them achieve better and better scores

I would suggest aligning with several vets in your area that do a lot of PPE. What a wonderful addition to the services that they offer. Subcontracting with them, educating trainers about what you do, and emphasizing the benefits of your service. I would love to have the benefit of your input on youngsters too.

Good luck!

I don’t think “performing” is any better than “doing” other than it sounds like a more formal word. You are evaluating / studying / making assessments to assist in diagnosis and care (vet, farrier, exercise, etc.). I agree with the others that “doing/performing” biomechanics means nothing to me. I mean, what you do could be described as that as easily as chiropractic care, veterinary analysis or saddle fitting.

One way to help you get repeat clients would be to not only focus on the preventative but on evaluation over time. Such as, your first eval revealed X, and maybe X meant doing some stifle strengthening exercise, or different shoeing, or massage or chiro manipulations. Perhaps one way to see how the therapies are helping the horse correct its bio-mechanical issues is to do a reeval at some future time interval. Sort of like when a physical therapist periodically reevaluates ROM of the area being rehabbed.

If you don’t understand what is happening within the muscles and the body, how training may be a cause or can help, etc., you’re not really doing anything that I would consider biomechanics.

You are doing gait symmetry analysis from your description. That has a time and place where it could be valuable, but I wouldn’t look for it at an ad for “performing biomechanics” (no such thing) and wouldn’t even read an ad for performing biomechanics.

A mechanical engineering degree doesn’t tell you jack about the training of a horse or how it uses its body. Sorry, I’m an engineer and know better than to believe that claim.

Here’s where the grammaticians are grimacing.

Biomechanics is a noun referring to a field of study. You can not “do” nor “perform” a field of study. It would be like saying “I do English” or, “I perform anthropology”.

For those of us that do know what equine biomechanics are such verbiage demonstrates (true or not) a lack of understanding on the subject. I agree that “gait analysis” is not only a more appropriate title, but a more marketable one.

I find the science fascinating myself and would consider something of the sort for a horse with something NQR but no leads as to what.

I cringe at the thought of using it for PPEs though and don’t think you’ll find many that sell horses in favor of it. There are already so many subjective tests and opinions floating around PPEs that even the demonstrably sound horse gets written up as a potential disaster waiting to reek havoc on your show dreams and bank account. As speculative as this system (likely) is I don’t think it would do much other than further confuse buyers, buyers that already tend to lack a basic veterinary understanding.

I’m glad you got something useful from my post and I do wish you luck. Although now that I know you have a mechanical engineering degree and not a kinesiology degree I believe that it would be misleading to advertise your business as specializing in biomechanics. If you can’t identify the major muscle groups (agonist and antagonist), tendons, ligaments, nerves, blood supply, etc. then you are really just performing a glorified gait analysis.
Obviously if you were to be working directly with a veterinarian or chiropractor you could work together to develop an entire biomechanical analysis.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think PPE’s should be your target market. No horse, human, etc., is completely symmetrical and that’s normal. But by pointing that out to potential buyers you are just introducing another “what if”, which I think would ultimately be a disservice to the buyer and the seller.
I really think that this is more of a training aid, or a diagnostic tool for a mystery lameness ie. decreased range of motion in the left stifle leading to stiffness through the back and asymmetries through the shoulders.

Unfortunately, OP, you put the cart before the horse and from the sounds of it, bought the equipment and started the business without first researching and exploring whether there was a market for it. Business Rule Numero Uno: doesn’t matter how great the idea is: if there is no market, it is not a good idea. Chalk it up to a beginner’s mistake, but it may prove costly.

Several others have made good points: every horse ever born and all those that will be born will be naturally crooked. It’s the nature of any body. You do not want to create needless worry by pointed out that, hey, your horse is similar to any human in that he is not perfectly equal on both sides. He has a favorite, and unless taught to use both equally, he will use his favorite all the time.

You do seem to be missing that you cannot, and should not, be using phrases like “performing biomechanics”. You are not creating movement, you are assessing what already is happening. To say you are “performing” is incorrect both grammatically and realistically. You are assessing, studying, charting, graphing…take your pick.

As a horse owner, I would not use this service by itself (and believe me, it’s useful stuff…as a bodyworker I discuss biomechanics with owners all the time…) It’s a tool to get to an end destination, whether that means the creation of a new training program, the decision to pursue bodywork to help correct the muscular imbalances that are causing the asymmetrical movement, or other corrective therapies. If you were able to offer these services, it would make more sense. But without some other offering, all you are able to do is give owners an expensive information session. Information is great, but it’s not a good selling point by itself. People want results: they want to use the information they just received to do something, make a change, get somewhere.

90% of what I learned and the tools I use in assessing and applying bodywork treatments to horses (and people…) I don’t directly share with the client. Not because I have something to hide, but because most horse owners just aren’t learned enough in the areas of anatomy, physics as it applies to equine or human biomechanics and general body science to fully understand what I’m talking about. I give the “need to know” info, I answer any questions, but I give a layman’s version. I don’t discuss muscle spindles, reciprocal inhibition and neuromuscular variances. It’s confusing to the owner, and it isn’t necessary for them to get a working idea of what I need to relay to them.

It’s all a nice idea, but if there’s no market, or if you can’t offer something else to the client that makes getting all this information worthwhile, it’s not very useful.

I would agree that unless you’re a horse you’re not “performing equine biomechanics.”

If you want this to fly, what I would do is create some case studies and testimonials for the service you are providing. I would also suggest that a better target market than hunter-jumper would be dressage, where riders are hyperinterested in getting symmetrical development and movement out of their horses, and actively are working to change how their horses move.

You might also consider… and this is probably out of the box for you … gaited horses and park horses … another discipline where much time is spent affecting how the horse moves.

You could look at it for racing prospects also.

What you’re going to need, though, is data showing how this information you provide leads to better performance. And that’s going to require years, not weeks or months, of data and iteration and effort, most likely.

The other and somewhat less time consuming path is veterinary, most likely finding a veterinarian that specializes in difficult NQR lameness and getting her on board that you provide a valuable service she should recommend, that your tests and analysis either are more cost effective than other approaches or provide useful, actionable answers that no other diagnostics can.

I would suggest getting together with a lameness specialist veterinarian. We have one of these machines, and we call it the “lameness locator”. That gets my attention much better than equine biomechanics.

the Equine Athlete for the original Dressage and CT magazine’ I would consult with Susan Harris, “visible horse/ rider” and or, Dr. Kent Vasko, DVM; he wrote a series of articles, working with either of them would be helpful in terms of lending you legitimacy; unfortunately unless you can speak in "scientific/ engineering or anatomical terms most people will smile and shrug before “brushing you off”

Where did you study mechanical engineering?