Unlimited access >

Experiences with "Gut X" supplement?

I made the mistake of clicking on a Facebook ad for the Ulcer supplement “Gut X” by “100XEquine” and since then I’ve been inundated by spam from that company…
Anyone has experience with this product?
(I am a little turned off by their “persistent” marketing practices but perhaps the product is worth it?)

Everything you click on FB sets up information by which advertisers know you clicked on their product/ad, and show you more of that product, and other advertisers can show you things related to what you looked at. It’s how the internet advertising world works. Everyone knows it takes multiple exposures to a product before most people buy, and even if they don’t buy, if they’ve seen a product multiple times, they’re more likely to recommend it to someone asking about that situation.

And now you’re here, looking for information, in a forum that comes up in internet searches :slight_smile:

I used 1 gallon of it, for a horse on bute. I used it as prevention, which makes it hard to say it did anything. I didn’t have any palatability issues, but know some people have. I know quite a few who say it’s made their ulcer-prone horses happier

Like any ulcer supplement, it’s a “you have to try it to see if it works for your horse”.

The HA does have scientific backing in helping improve stomach lining health, so it’s not just a random deal.

2 Likes

It works really well for my horse - the only supplement that actually helps to prevent ulcer flare ups for him. I have to feed at a rate higher than the performance dose to make a difference but it’s still less expensive than Alimend, etc.

If you can get past the marketing, the product is good. :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve been using it for my mare as a way of preventing her ulcers from returning. It’s very similar to Relyne, which my vet suggests, but not as expensive. I know many people who use Relyne long term after their horses recover from ulcers.

In terms of palatability, my mare turned her nose up the first time I added it so I started slowly and now she has no issues with it.

Is it helping? I hope so. I got her through the spring hunt season with a combination of Gut-X and sucralfate, along with alfalfa. We’ll see how the fall season goes. Anything to avoid another round of GastroGuard!

2 Likes

My vet has recommended Relyne for two different horses, but its expensive and this is similar. I decided to try my stallion on it since this is his first full show season and he can get anxious I’ve been very happy, and am on my 3rd gallon.

1 Like

I tried it though was dubious. I didn’t want to do longish term PPIs. Happy with the results but sold the horse. I have a new gallon if someone wants it PM me. Pay the shipping and it’s yours. Will say the company service was excellent but not creepy overbearing.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!

I’ve been using both GutX and JointX for my guy who had quite bad ulcers for two years (after diagnosis- no telling how long he had had them before the first scope). He likes it and definitely has a greater spring in his step! I also use the JointX for myself and has made a big difference in the mobility and pain in my hands. I went on it for a month and then off of it, pain came back, poor grip strength, etc. and now that I am back on it, wowza. Thank you 100X!

Their nutritionist is great to talk to and ask questions of- give it a try.
Way cheaper than BI Gastro/UlcerGard products and the apparent issues with PPI in general.

Fourfillies: Do you still have an extra gallon of GutX to give away? If so, I would like to try it and will pay the shipping cost. I am new to this forum - how do we best connect for such an exchange? Thanks!

I used it for a total of 6 months on 2 horses. 1 has SI arthritis and the other is 16 and has small amounts of arthritis forming and is usually stiff in the start of our workouts. they both ate it no issues, neither are picky eaters. i had them on 2 pumps 2x a day for a total of 4 pumps. i didn’t see any difference in anything these horses did or rode. i did not buy any more.

I have a gut x related question that I wanted to ask here rather than starting a new thread:

Does anyone know if it’ll work pre-mixed with grain? I’m in a boarding situation where my horse’s grain is bagged for each feeding and that baggie is just dumped into his food bin. So, I could put the squirts into that baggie and leave it for the feeders or would that degrade the product? Unfortunately there isn’t really an option for it to be squirted directly on to his food just before feeding at the very least it would sit for approx 12 hours with grain and even that would be much harder than me putting it into baggies 1-2 days in advance.

I work off some of my board where I keep my horse, and I can tell you from a worker’s perspective that I’d much rather pump on a bottle when I feed as opposed to messing with a baggie that has liquid gel stuff mixed in with it. Have you asked them if they’d mind using the pump dispenser?

1 Like

I’d rather it sit for 12 hours on top of his feed, than have half of it ending up stuck in the baggie. It’s pretty thick stuff, especially in cold weather.

What’s the reason it can’t be squirted on when it’s time for him to eat? They won’t do it? They’ll just forget?

would it get stuck in a baggie even if the full serving of grain is in that bag? It’s not just supplements in a bag–but all of the food (2lbs).

The reason for not being able to squirt just before feeding is exactly what you said, JB, it just won’t get done. I could plan to do it myself when I’m there. But I’m not able to go every day. All of this might make it not a viable option for me. But I wanted to ask, as I’ve tried most of the others, ha!

I have pre-squirted Gut-X into a baggie with supplements and feed for a show weekend. I squirt into the grain/supps so it is not on the baggie itself and it works fine. I don’t know if that decreases efficacy, but it’s not like the bottle itself is amber or air tight (which would indicate light or oxygen sensitivity) so I can’t imagine it makes a difference.

You could reach out to the company and ask - I think they are pretty responsive to inquiries.

Edit: for all those wondering if it will work, I’m telling you it will definitely work. I’ve done it. Several times. Just squirt it into the grain, and it will form a clump surrounded by grain, like clumping kitty litter. It doesn’t take much. I only feed 1 lb hard feed for my horse and does not make a gooey mess on the bag. Gut-X is not a liquid, it’s a thick, viscous syrup. OP, feel free to pre-load your baggies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone know if it’ll work pre-mixed with grain? I’m in a boarding situation where my horse’s grain is bagged for each feeding and that baggie is just dumped into his food bin. So, I could put the squirts into that baggie and leave it for the feeders or would that degrade the product? Unfortunately there isn’t really an option for it to be squirted directly on to his food just before feeding at the very least it would sit for approx 12 hours with grain and even that would be much harder than me putting it into baggies 1-2 days in advance.

So I’ve never used GutX, but I used to give a liquid joint supplement. Honestly I think a lot of it will stick to the inside of the bags and make a big slimy mess, and he won’t be getting all of it. We dispensed it daily using these:

You can dose it out into the tubes, then stick one tube in each baggy for the feeder to add on top of the grain at feeding time.

1 Like

hmm, that may work if you put 1lb in, add the GutX, put the other 1lb in, and it doesn’t get jostled around too much

Is this contingent on the liquid pouring out? GutX is pretty gel-like, especially when colder

Is this contingent on the liquid pouring out? GutX is pretty gel-like, especially when colder

Yes, you pour the tube onto grain. For thicker more gel-like liquids, I’ve poured out what I can and then sort of “shake” it down while the tube is upside down over the grain.

I don’t see that working with those test tubes, especially since the barn staff really won’t even press a pump on a bottle

1 Like

Thank you! I think this is enough reassurance that it’s at least worth trying. Of course I probably still need to check with manufacturer if this reduces efficacy at all. But I probably need to try it to see if it makes a difference in general anyway.