Unlimited access >

Facing putting both my geldings down, struggling

I am struggling tonight. I just got the email last night that my much loved, wonky for most of his life, four year old gelding (Arnie) isn’t a candidate for arthrodesis surgery.

I brought him home as a 2 week old very sick orphan with severe infections in his knees and hocks and a temp of 104. Thought he would die, but he pulled through with intensive care and he has been an absolute joy. Last winter I noticed him moving “off” and his knees were pretty swollen. Rads of his knees were clean, we decided he may have fell on the ice and to give him some time. By summer he was very hip high, and vet said turn him out and let him grow. By fall, his movement was more off, and he was occasionally short striding on his left hind - grade 1 lameness left hind. New rads on his stifles were clean, I was told to work him and try to strengthen his back. Instead I turned him out for his 3 year old year. This winter he was noticeably short striding on his left hind. I took him up to Littleton Animal Hospital for answers. They diagnosed grade 3 on his left hind. Rads of his hocks showed significant osteoarthritis of the distal intertarsal joint on his left hock and minor on his right. His joints basically look like shark teeth on rads. We injected him (really tight in the space so limited use and no visible changes), did a course of Adequan (no change in movement) and tried a daily equiox.

It’s 4 months later. He’s 16.1, off on his hind left, and getting more and more unpredictable. My very sweet, run to meet you in the pasture, let you sit on him bareback and putz around in a halter in the arena boy is now pinning his ears almost constantly and needs to be watched when you are in the pen with him. I reached out to Littleton’s surgeon to see if he’s a candidate for surgery… he’s unhappy and hurting and pain meds aren’t helping. Her response was that because he has lysis (where the bone has been eaten away), his bone is too weak for drilling and he risks bone collapse. In addition, there appears to be additional arthritic changes in his proximal intertarsal joint and this is a difficult area with poor prognosis. His left hock is failing him, docs are pretty sure the infections he had as a baby contributed or caused this - but who knows. I’m heartbroken.

To make matters worse, Arnie’s best friend and pasture mate is my 21 year old gelding Sheriff. He also has arthritis, his in his hind pasterns and fetlocks and it’s severe enough you can see the bone growth on his pasterns. He’s on daily equioxx, does Adequan and SI injections to keep him comfortable, but he’s having more trouble getting up and his back is sore to the point that he’ll threaten to kick (but never would, he’s a gentleman) upon pressure on his back and hip…Sheriff has worked his entire life, and after taking my teenage kid to championships we retired him last year when he told us he was too sore to be ridden anymore (save ponying a kiddo around the pasture on occasion). I thought we’d have more time for him to get to just be a horse.

I am trying to gain peace with the idea that putting them down together is the best thing for both of them. They are my only horses on the property, and they are very bonded. Both have no chance of recovery, both need constant pain management, and that pain management isn’t keeping up with their needs. Putting Arnie down would leave Sheriff alone and he would absolutely panic, but putting my last two horses down seems so final. Starting over seems so daunting, but not having horses in my barn seems unthinkable. I’m absolutely gutted.

Attaching pics because it feels right. Thanks for letting me tell our story.

56 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

I am sorry you have to struggle with this.

2 Likes

You’re doing what’s best for them, worst for you.

When I lost 2 - TB I’d had 20+yrs &TWH for 5yrs - the same day I couldn’t bear my empty barn & got a new horse (COTH Giveaway) a little over a month later. Then a companion pony 6mos later.
Not replacements, I still miss my 2, but I needed a horse in my Life.

23 Likes

Wow, now this post deserves about 800 responses IMO. This is a real story with some very real issues going on and a poster who needs lots of support. I can’t imagine the hurt and angst you must be feeling facing this decision. Do you have any other horses or will putting these two down be it? This is definitely a heartbreaking position to be in. You have all my sympathy and prayers for a peaceful passing of both of these beautiful animals as well as comfort for you.

7 Likes

What a terrible position to be in OP. My condolences.

Can you find a needy horse to take in? People are looking for retirement type homes all the time. That would fill your barn a little, and help a horse in desperate need.

FWIW - arthrodesis has very little chance of returning your horse to soundness, even if it was an option. My Old Man had it done on both hocks, and he never came sound. He is still 2/5 on the left hind, but it never gets better or worse no matter what we do. But if I could do it over again, I would never put him through that surgery and recovery/rehab, knowing what I know now.

20 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry. There are some rescues in CO that have a need for foster homes (not permanent adoption but practically the horse is pretty much yours). My friend did that when she had to let one of her retirees go and needed a companion. That might be an option for having a horse at home after this. I’m so sorry you are going through this.

6 Likes

You are doing the right thing. As a horseman, hard days will happen. It happens to all of us. All horsemen know the pain you are feeling now, we’ve been there. I had one put down here a few months ago, another story of knowing that it was necessary, and having it done. We have a local guy who does the job well. He doesn’t charge money. And he takes the body away and disposes of it.

If you are using a vet to do this, ask the vet if you can tranquilize both horses before they arrive to do the job. We shoot them here, and the use of tranquilizer (atravet) makes their last moments without stress or fear or worry of any sort. If you have a choice, the use of a gun makes it an instant death. The drugs are not instant. Sorry that you are going to have sadness in your life. But you are doing the right thing, and sometimes that’s hard.

4 Likes

Hugs. I am so sorry for what you’re going thru. It hurts so much. May you have peace in your decision.

2 Likes

thank you - i am seriously considering fostering for our local horse rescue… i’ve shown on the national level, started many over the years, and have a nice barn and indoor arena so thinking i could channel my love for horses working with our rescue getting young ones ready for adoption…

Losing Arnie and Sheriff so many years earlier than i’d hoped is heartbreaking but maybe moving forward with horses that desperately need assistance would be a good thing.

36 Likes

I am so very sorry. I have made the decision to euthanize two older, very bonded horses together, rather than ask one to carry on without the other. Please take peace in knowing that both will be free from pain and worry on the other side of your decision. Think of how you will feel afterwards - sad and missing your good horses, I am sure, but also immeasurable relief that it is done and that you don’t need to worry about finding either in trouble. It is so much kinder to our horses (and ourselves) to say good bye earlier than absolutely necessary than to wait even a bit too long. I have never, ever regretted making the decision, as much as I miss the horses.

Please also do not worry about the way in which you choose to euthanize. As long as the horse is well sedated first, either is kind and humane. My suggestion is to give each horse a bit of sedation, walk them together to where they need to be, sedate them heavily, then take the final step. When we did both of our elderly horses together, we didn’t want them to stress or call to each other if they were separated even for a short time. Both went peacefully and quietly together.

23 Likes

thank you so much.

These are my only horses so the barn will be empty. I think I might foster for our horse rescue as a next step - I can’t imagine not having horses in my life. Arnie had a knack for looking on the bright side and overcoming obstacles, so I always thought he’d come through this - now he’s telling me he’s tired of hurting. I think your peaceful passing phrase is one I’ll keep coming back to - he deserves to be at peace and not hurting anymore. And my sweet Sheriff. :sleepy: :broken_heart: :disappointed_relieved: :sob:

16 Likes

My heart goes out to you. It’s never easy to say good-bye but we make that hard decision for our beloved animals based on their quality of life. The younger they are the harder it is. You gave your 4 yr old a chance to experience a wonderful life and your 21 yr old also had a good life with your family. Hugs.

8 Likes

So sorry to read this OP. Hugs to you and your lovely boys…

1 Like

Your horses are so lucky to have an owner that is thinking so much of their needs!

I am so very sorry that you are going thru this. It sounds like you are making the right decision for both.

I love your plan to help some rescue horses.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry. This is the right decision, even though it’s hard.

2 Likes

We are are all sending you, Artie and Sheriff love and light. You are taking their pain and making it yours. It’s never easy and we support you.

I am glad to see that you are thinking of working / fostering with your local rescue. That will help you with your daily routine.

Be kind to yourself, allow yourself to feel the feels, give yourself grace and time.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

9 Likes

I’m so sorry - many virtual hugs and jingles for you and your boys.

The hardest part of owning animals is that day when we have to take their pain away, and make it ours. Most of us have been there, and it’s never easy. But you know in your heart you’re doing the right thing. I agree that putting them down together is likely the best thing for them.

If you have any questions about the process, or any fears about it, most of us have been there, and we can help answer those questions.

I think fostering horses will be a great way to honor their memories.

7 Likes

Blog post: When do you know it’s time - the toughest decision of all

In the fall of 2022 my younger horse was confirmed neurological. He was very bonded with my senior horse and I had thought that I would euthanize him as well when the time came for my senior horse. He got worse faster than expected and was euthanized last fall. A week before the appointment I feared I had waited too long. Please don’t do that to yourself, or to them.

I still have my senior horse, and he’s having a bit of a rough time at the moment. I’m attempting to get him comfortable again before the teetering balancing act of keeping all his other health issues managed collapses.

It’s hard enough letting one go. My sympathies for your situation. As difficult as it is, we have to think about what’s best for the individual horse. If that means going together…

8 Likes

A short good life is a good life. You have done everything you can do for both of these horses, both the short and the long life.

I believe that one of the greatest gifts we can give our animals is an easy passing. The long painful decline, the agonies of a slow natural death, can just be skipped. In reward for their giving their lives to us.

Horses don’t know how long their life is, or is not. They don’t know their age, they don’t know about tomorrows and yesterdays. They are not asking for time. They only know how they feel right now. We can help them have the most good days, and skip at least some of the worst ones.

I support you in this decision. RIP to your horses, and peace to you knowing you are taking care of them even now in a very special way.

18 Likes