Unlimited access >

Fallon Blackwood, vet student who allegedly sold rescue horses to slaughter goes to court May 24, 2023

Fallon Blackwood, Former Tuskegee Veterinary Graduate Set to Face Charges in Blount County Trial

May 19, 2023 - A former Tuskegee University veterinary student, arrested in Alabama in 2018, will appear at her trial at the Blount County, Alabama, court on May 23, 2023. The victims in this indictment will finally have their day in court.

Fallon Danielle Blackwood was 24 when deputies took her into custody on a 13-count indictment in 2018, charging her with unlawfully bringing property from other states into Alabama.

According to the indictment, the property, which was the victim’s horses, was obtained by false pretense with the intent to defraud, in violation of Section 13A-8-21 of the Alabama Criminal Code, against the peace and dignity of the State of Alabama.

The charges in Alabama were not the first. Arrested at the Tuskegee University vet school, Blackwood faced previous charges in North Carolina.

In one of the cases, Blackwood pled guilty to a felony for obtaining horses under false pretenses before selling them to horse slaughter. A Martin County judge ordered Fallon Blackwood, of Alabama, not to own or be around horses [or other animals] even at rodeos for two years. Blackwood was sentenced to probation, fines, and fees of just over $1600.

Blackwood allegedly took horses from owners promising to love and care for them and enticed the owners to do so by telling them she was a vet student at Tuskegee University.

However, upon information and belief, she sold them to kill buyers in the horse auction business. Most horses are believed to have been slaughtered in Mexico for meat.

The case took life after Lindsay Rosentrater, then living in Georgia, told her story on social media after learning of Willie’s fate while in Blackwood’s possession.

Rosentrater checked on Willie often. It wasn’t until Blackwood refused to send the requested photos of Willie that she became suspicious and worried. Her suspicions of wrongdoing were later confirmed.

Blackwoods, alleged scheme to defraud horse owners was unraveled by Stolen Horse International, also known as NetPosse. Anyone can view the reports filed by the victims by typing Fallon Blackwood into the search feature on the website, www.netposse.org.

Willy was the first horse of 63 horses from six states reported to Stolen Horse International, NetPosse. Additionally, NetPosse has since learned of a great many other horses taken by Fallon Blackwood.

This nonprofit organization specializes in bringing missing and stolen horses home and has done so for over 25 years.

Rosentrater eventually won a judgment against Blackwood in Georgia. Next week she can unite with other victims as they face Blackwood in court in Oneota, Alabama.

On Wednesday morning, at 8:00 am Central (Alabama) time, after five years of waiting, the victims and horse owners attending the trial will see how the Blount County jury views theft by deception of horses.

Five years ago, this case was on everyone’s tongue, and a timely trial would fill the court with press and many concerned horse lovers. After many years of delays, a defense team in this type of case would hope everyone has forgotten and that the lack of court attendance will show that only a few people care about horses. Please help us keep this from happening.

Join the victims in court and show that no regardless of the outcome, the lives of these horses and the heartache of the victims matter.

13 Likes

The moral of the story…be careful who you give your old lame horse away to. The only place they are safe is with you.

35 Likes

I do not look down on these victims at all.

Who would not think their horse is going to be safe with someone looking for a pasture mate for their horse while they are in vet school?

This situation is horrible, just horrible.

24 Likes

So true.

There is a special place in hell for Fallon the Felon.

14 Likes

I don’t look down on these people, either. I do think @steelerino has a valid point, though. I have a friend who retired her mare w a friend who would have kept her for life…until he married a woman who wanted to move near her daughter and off the farm. New wife’s plan was to give the horses to someone she met on the Internet who promised a good home. My friend stepped in and took her horse back.

6 Likes

There were several posters on this board (including Willie’s owner) who sent their horses to her. They were not rookie horse owners and investigated her as much as possible… At the time of her arrest years ago there were 50 horses involved. That it is now at 63 horses it is staggering. I hope the courtroom gets a really good turnout on Wednesday.

9 Likes

I have a feeling the jury will take a dim view of Blackwood’s behavior. They may not be that sympathetic to the feelings of horses, but they are likely to be highly offended by such con artistry. The deep south tends to be a culture that has a very dark view of tricksters and people who take advantage of others’ goodwill and trust.

100% this.

If the owner can continue to provide an appropriate home, which is sometimes something that is changing.

The problem with allowing horses (or any animal) to leave one’s own property, even for a known destination, even a local destination, is that they can move again and disappear forever.

NetPosse has done some major work outing and pursuing such chicanery. They can’t always stop someone unsafe to horses, but they have been able to keep some of them moving.

I’m guessing “Oneonta” (with 2 n’s). A small place, officially less than 10k population, but not isolated.

Just north of Birmingham. In the triangle between Birmingham, Atlanta and Nashville. If that’s the correct town.

2 Likes

Maybe this is just me, but it is crazy to me that she was that young when it was found that she had used chicanery on this many horse owners to scam this many horses from them.

And attended and graduated vet school, while all this was going on ??? It’s not unheard of to graduate as a vet at 24, but it’s a bit young for an average vet student to have completed all of the pre-requisites and then vet school, a notoriously overwhelming path.

Personally I hope someone digs into that degree – did she really have time to do all this horse scamming while completing a vet degree at 24 years old ??? If the university validates the degree, then I wonder if it was really her attending classes and taking exams.

Vet degree or no, to me this seems early in life to have done this much damage over this much geography. I’'m guessing she’s just short of 30, now. This woman is a machine of horse scamming.

I hope her youth, caucasion-ess and gender don’t encourage a judge to be lenient in her sentencing. Assuming the jury finds her guilty as hell. No, she isn’t going to reform after some prison time – I don’t believe.

10 Likes

Her CV is indeed impressive for someone so young. She even sent false vet invoices to many owners.

4 Likes

I thought she did not complete her vet degree, she was kicked out of the program before that happened.

1 Like

Yes, she graduated. Class of 2019.

@trubandloki to answer your question no I wouldn’t think my horse would be safe. I live in S. Florida where horses are very expensive to have as pets or companions and I would be VERY leery of somebody willing to take on pasture pets. Or it could just be the 20yrs of working at animal control that have me jaded. So many old/lame horses have came through that were given to their “forever home” starved or severely neglected. My horse had to be retired at 17 due to lameness and no way in hell would have I ever given him away. So here I sit horseless because I can’t afford 2 but it is what it is.

5 Likes

So she finished her degree AFTER she was arrested?

Because she was not done when she was arrested (2018).

Edit to add - I guess she did. That university let her finish and graduate.
Wow!
That is kind of sad.

13 Likes

She would still have to pass the state board licensing exam.

1 Like

It’s about time!

3 Likes

So apparently whatever University gave her the DVM & whatever State Bd passed her had no interest in a criminal background check.

4 Likes

I strongly doubt that she even passed the application to take the board exam.

Were there any convictions at that point in time, or only charges? That can be a pretty big distinction. I can see a school letting a student continue until they are actually convicted of the crime. Imagine if the school kicked someone out based on charges alone, the whole legal process played out, and the person was found not guilty. Now the school wasted months or years of that person’s time during which they couldn’t be working on their degree.

10 Likes

Are we sure ???

Has Tuskegee validated her degree as genuine? A diploma is not enough.

I would question many, many things she claims about her life story.

1 Like

I guess it depends on if you believe the university’s website or not.

https://www.tuskegee.edu/programs-courses/colleges-schools/cvm/cvm-news-college-of-veterinary-medicine-holds-annual-white-coat-ceremony-for-class-of-2019

1 Like