Unlimited access >

FAQ -- Tips for Using the Site

Ah, okay. Can you try for screenshots of the “original” order and the “random” order?

I’ll still work on reproducing…

How do I do a screenshot?

Snipping tool is my go-to in chrome:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-snipping-tool-and-take-a-screenshot-a35ac9ff-4a58-24c9-3253-f12bac9f9d44

Firefox has it built into the right click menu, which is handy.

To upload here, just paste into your response.

Here is the “Random” order (from using the 'back" button)

And here I what I get if I use the 3 hamburger menu

I did get the behavior here I expected. Browsed threads from latest and used the back button to return to the list. Someone posted on a thread, creating a newer timestamp with older threads above.

Shown here in the “proposed dress rule changes” thread. Previous reply was 20m, which is sorted correctly. New reply is 7m, which is after this list order was generated, but I continue to back into this order.

Yeah, @Janet, this is the same thing.

You click the latest button, and it generates a list of threads based on the last post time.

You read through the list of threads. While you’re reading through the list of threads, other people are posting on those threads. Your list order stays the same, because you’re using the back button to return to that list order, but the timestamp is updating, because people are posting on those threads.

If you want the list to reorder by timestamp based on new posts, you’ll need to click “latest” or reload the page, not just click back. Clicking back is preserving the list order–you’re literally going back to the same list you left. The only difference is the timestamp is updating to reflect newer posts. Nothing random.

But that isn’t what I got.

You had ONE post out of order.

I had them almost all out of order.

I think the difference is because you say you do back all day so it is over many hours and this example was done over a much shorter time.

(I tried to do it the way you do it, but I failed horribly. I saw the notification that said I had updated posts that I am following and I hit it instead of using back.)

Because your list was generated longer ago. You clicked “latest” and generated a list of threads, sorted by last post time. Then you spent … maybe 30 minutes? more? reading from that list and clicking back. Other people are posting to that list of threads, which updates the timestamp to the right but the thread order–the order of the thread titles–doesn’t change for as long as you’re clicking back. Until you refresh, or until you click latest again, those thread titles will be in that order, and the timestamps will get more and more off as people post to those threads.

If you want your list of threads always sorted by timestamp, then you need to click latest, or you need to click back and refresh, or you need to click that yellow bar at the top that says there is new content. If you want the thread titles to stay in the same order, then hit back, but the timestamps will get more and more out of order as people post to those threads.

I do NOT want them .“always sorted by timestamp”. I want them to appear in the same order (or at least similar) they were when I checked the post I just went “back” from.

Which IS what is happening in YOUR sreenshot. But NOT in mine.

No…what isn’t?

I can repeat what you’re describing, and I’ve explained why. What about what I’m saying doesn’t make sense to you?

Okay. Can you show me that? Because that’s not what you showed us above. You showed us a list of topics that aren’t sorted by timestamp, and then a refreshed list of topics that is sorted by timestamp.

No. You created something very different from what I described, and provided a screenshot for.

I would be perfectly happy with the behaviour YOU showed.

Since I can not predict when it is going to happen, I do not havea screen shot of what I expected “back” to takemeto.

I will keep tryin it until I capture it.

But what I expected to go back to was very similar to the refreshed list, just missing the first few new posts.

Let me summarize what I think you’ve told us:

From the latest list, you go into threads and back to the latest list repeatedly, and the thread title order stays the same. You don’t mind that the timestamps get out of order as you go back and forth.

Then you go into a thread and back to the latest list, and not only does the thread title order drastically change, but the timestamps aren’t in order.

Is that correct?

If that is correct, then just get a screenshot of the thread order when things are acting as expected. You can paste it into a word document, or save as a jpg, if you’re worried about losing track of it. When you back to the latest list and threads are out of order, get another screenshot. Post both here.

OK here you go.
This is the list at 3:15

Then I read the thread about proposed dress rule changes.

Then I hit “back” at 3:19 (4minutes later) and it looked like this

and when I go to “How Do We Get Rid Of Him Now” (first in the jumbled list), it shows the most recent post as 2 hours ago (so before 1:40)

Very helpful, thank you. What happens next? You go into a thread and back, which version do you go to?

I still can’t reproduce. What’s most interesting about these two looks IMO is the board isn’t tracking that you read anything in the dress rule change thread–unread posts showing 21 in both. Even if you didn’t scroll down, that number should drop by one. Makes me wonder there’s some “wire” getting crossed on the back end that might be causing that plus the sort issue, maybe related to that bug that sometimes shows those new post bubbles on threads that aren’t being tracked.

Tagging @Moderator_1 since there’s more clarity here about the exact issue. Thanks for providing the screenshots!

I don’t know. Once it gets scrambled, I just hit “Latest” again. Next time it happens I will try that.

Yeah, please do. Report back! You might wind up back at the proper sort, and it’s just a weird one off…

Oh, something else to test–

When you get the weird list, what happens when you back twice?

You’d go back to the thread you just came from, but then back to the latest again. Is that page of threads any different than the weird list?

Curious if chrome is fetching the wrong page–maybe an earlier version, I don’t know–and you can back into the right one with a couple more clicks.

If I hit back repeatedly, it takes me back to the thread, and then back to the same scrambled list.

My guess is there’s something going wrong when the page is retrieved. Your browser is looking for the correct cached page when you click back, and winds up with something different. I wonder if you’d have the same thing happen in a different browser–that might help determine if it’s a chrome issue, or has something to do with the software here.

Definitely a weird one!