Unlimited access >

Favorite 100g Turnout Blanket - 2022 edition

10/10 recommend Ponyo.
I’ve been using mine for a few years and really like them. Comes in a variety of weights and down to the very small sizes.
Plus they are cute AF!

I forgot about these! I have to admit, I couldn’t do it for my adult horses, but I’m having some buyers remorse for my donkey. Luckily the Shires blanket was a bit cheaper to ease that. Next time my donkey needs a blanket, I’m going straight there for some hot pink unicorns. :rofl:

2 Likes

This site always has a lot of nice blankets, they might have something.

https://www.rideawaystore.com/

1 Like

I’m kind of a broken record on here, but I’ve loved and gotten a ton of use out of the SmartPak and Schneider’s 100g liners. Both of them are pretty darn well designed to say secure under other turnouts.

Could be another option if you don’t want to add another turnout.

2 Likes

I keep thinking I need to get a 100 gm turnout for my 2 1/2 year old, but don’t want to spend the money on something the moose (he’s Morgan, but he’s a moose for his age) will likely outgrow. We won a Weatherbeeta med/lite stable blanket and neck cover last year, so I may just use that under a rainsheet for now.

I know OP has found some rugs for her crew, but for posterity I have been pleased with my Weatherbeeta Comfitec 100 gram. I just ordered a Kensington 80 gram

You guys are convincing me that I need a 100g blanket over a true medium, lol. I live in NC and winters aren’t anything terribly serious (cold to me, but nothing compared to up north!) so I could probably make it work. I’m just debating if it’s worth the splurge over a regular 200/220g medium since they’re a little harder to find.

1 Like

I use my 100 and 50 gram blankets more than my 200-250 ones but I’m further south than you. I’d likely use the mediums less often if my horses’ weren’t out 24/7 in what passes for wind here.

After a few years of dealing with liners, it was worth the splurge to me!

Last winter I found myself using my 100g liners with their sheets the majority of the time.

1 Like

Where are you located? I’m in Tennessee and debating on getting a 100g for the gelding I’m going to be leasing for the winter. He runs hot so I figured that it may be a good option for above freezing.

1 Like

I bought 100g blankets several years ago on a whim. I was SHOCKED at how useful they were. Yes, absolutely with the splurge!

3 Likes

I lived in TN for 11 years and think they would be perfect for that climate. Especially given the wild temperature swings you deal with all winter: teens at night, low 50s during the day.

I wish I would have had them when I lived there!

2 Likes

NW FL! I think the 100 gram is a super useful weight! My 10 yo gelding wears his down to freezing temps. I loved it especially when boarding bc I thought it was more forgiving when the grooms needed to blanket relatively early in the evening

1 Like

Super helpful! Think it would be fine for those teens at night though? He’s on pasture board so my thought was below freezing at night: 200/220g and during the day (unless it’s raining, snowing, sleeting or below 0): the 100g.

It depends on your horse and your situation. I think most blanketed horses would prefer the medium when it’s in the teens.

But if blanket changes are problematic as they can be on pasture board, when in doubt, I would rather leave an unclipped horse in a 100g on a cold night than a medium weight during a warm day.

5 Likes

Ok ok you guys got me. Your praises plus the fact that Adams is having a big Horseware sale right now, including a great deal on a 100g Wug (and I quite like the Wug cut)…I’ve got one on the way.

I still think I’m going to get a true medium for those cold cold nights though. I don’t suspect we will use it too frequently but I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. This is my first time having a horse to blanket shop for so I’m having a little too crazy of a time with the analysis paralysis.

3 Likes

I am more south than you are (SC) but I only used my 200 gm turnouts once last year, and maybe twice the year before. And I probably could have doubled up with a sheet on top of my 100 gm stuff for that little bit of time. My 100 gm turnouts have virtually replaced my medium weight stuff.

1 Like

Wow they have great pricing on the blanket liners! I like that they have shoulder gussets guess I am going shopping today!

1 Like

I liked the concept of the Wug but my horse’s neck and shoulder is too big for it. Kinda chokes him when he’s grazing. I have a Rhino Wug medium, the 250 gram vari layer 84”. The blanket itself is quite nice just not the best fit for my guy. So I’m shopping for another medium for him. I am hoping I can sell the Wug but locally not much interest in the bigger size. Oh well, if I don’t sell it then I’ll just stash it with the rest of my spare horse clothes lol.

I’m considering buying the Amigo XL for his fat neck and shoulder lol.

Which 100 gram did you get?

1 Like

I grabbed this one: https://adamshorsesupply.com/rhino-wug-100g-turnout-206311.html

I have the Wug sheet that I like which is what had me looking for it in the 100g. It seems to fit my girl pretty well. Plus, after working winters at a boarding barn where I was blanketing and turning out 30+ horses alone, the rugged but simple design on the Wug closures makes my heart sing.

I read on FB that apparently Horseware upped the sales requirement for their dealers and a lot of smaller tack shops got dropped by them, hence the big clearance prices from places like Adams.

2 Likes