Unlimited access >

Favorite 100g Turnout Blanket - 2022 edition

I have that exact one in the medium weight. I like the front snaps especially. Plus the lining is really slick so no rubbing on the mane!

You don’t need an 84 do you? :rofl:

That’s the same one I bought @eventammy.

Although I am worried about sizing- I bought the smaller of my horses the 78. She usually wears a 75, but they were out. I probably should have bought the Amigo wug for her since it is available in 75.

Hands down Horseware for me. I have a bottom of the pecking order horse, and these blankets last with the nasty attacks he gets.

I have the 100g duo, where you can add the liners as you please. But my most favourite purchase last year was the 50g rambo, its amazing, and its even tougher as its 1680D… so tough!

4 Likes

Ha, I wish! Take 12 inches off of it and then maybe we can talk :joy:

1 Like

The leg arches on the Horseware blankets do absolutely nothing in improve “freedom of movement” but they do leave parts of the horse exposed to cold breezes. Their neck covers leave a huge window of bare horse open to the cold. And every Rhino Wug I have seen has narrow fit that scrunched the shoulders.

3 Likes

Lol, that’s the beauty of it. Damned near every major blanket manufacturer has a 100 (ish) gram offering. Don’t like Horseware? Go elsewhere. Plenty of us don’t have those issues with HW stuff, but if you do, there are other options.

9 Likes

Agreed, I don’t love the fit of my one Rhino on my built-like-a-tank mare. Good thing I use it maybe once a year. I’d love to sell the thing.

Anyone tried the new “autumn” Rambo yet? I love the idea of the softshell.

New launch from Lemieux that looks promising! Similar price point to the Schneider’s Warrior line IIRC, not quite as expensive as the Rambo Supreme. Same 1680 denier and a lot of nice features. Comes in 50g and 100g weights as well as medium and heavy options.

https://www.lemieuxproducts.com/us/new-in/kudos-turnout-100g-navy

These prices are phenomenal. Have you purchased from them?

I have a weanling and it would be nice to have something to toss on her as winter progresses, but I also wasn’t going to spend much on the cause. But they have medium weights in a size that would work for her as low as $38.

1 Like

I’m curious about it too!

The benefit to having just a rain sheet and using a 100g liner under it is you can wash that liner and not wash the shell so much. And you have two blankets in one. If it’s not so cold you just use the sheet.

Chillier use the liner. The sheet lasts longer because you’re washing it less.

3 Likes

I am ordering a 100g liner for both my babies tomorrow! I will let you know how it goes!

I bought my turnouts from Rideaway, and had no issues at all. England to rural Nova Scotia in 5 days. I didn’t suggest them here as I remembered reading that they don’t ship certain brands like Weatherbeeta and Horseware to USA. However for anyone in Canada, it was ridiculously cheaper for me to ship my blankets from England than buy them in Canada, like $100-200 cheaper per blanket even after shipping and taxes! I did get mine at summer sale prices, but even without that they still have the best prices I could find. They also likely have other brands of blankets that they can ship to USA.

1 Like

Yes the Rhinos seem to fit the narrower horses better! The Rambos on the other hand seem to be great for the stockier horses with bigger shoulders. My horse has narrower shoulders and the Rhinos are the only blankets that don’t gap or fit poorly. Rambo is drowning on her since she’s not wide enough for them. There’s a fairly bulky QH at the barn and his Rambo fits him wonderfully

2 Likes

My guy is a bit of a fit issue (in all sized items it seems). Big sloping shoulders, big fat withers, big fat neck, relatively high head carriage, big barrel. I’ve got my eye on the Amigo XL but a Rambo is a possibility.

Well the disappointment of tonight: the Shires blanket I ordered arrived today. It’s lovely except they sent me a size 87” instead of a size 60”!!! It’s too big on my 16.2h horse, let alone the 11.3h donkey I ordered it for.

So back to the drawing board for the donkey…

18 Likes

That’s hysterical. It’s like a floor length ball gown plus lap robe on the donkey. What numbskull paled an 87 instead of a 60

7 Likes

It said 60” on the sticker on the outside of the packaging. I didn’t even realize how horribly off it was until I unfolded it and went to throw it on her. :rofl:

If it were any other size I would keep it because it’s quite nice.

What the heck! I can just see you unfolding and unfolding and unfolding it lol. It’s a cheerful color too. What a shame.

So does this mean hot pink unicorns are on the table?

2 Likes